Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

Bored
    No, guys!

All you need is technology to replace judges!

@usethis2: Iron Lotus is a fictional FS element performed by man&man pair skaters in the movie Blades of Glory.

Custom Title
    Thank you, Anna.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by usethis2 View Post
    Oh come on. I really don't know.
    It's not real, I was just being stupid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7dr6PCeW4c

Custom Title
    Amazingly, his "ideas" for speed skating are even worse than his ideas for figure skating... like, isn't that guy supposed to be a former speed skater?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I don't think IOC will go along with this. Figure skating is the marquee event at the winter Olympics games, where all broadcasters get tons of advertising revenue for the event worth extra air time, why would ISU want to sabotage it? Just because Speedy can no longer be part of it for 2018? It is such a selfish, short sighted and ignorant view of the sport.
    It's a bit ironic that the IOC has bent over backwards to accommodate more figure skating in the form of the team event, yet the head of the ISU wants to cut the number of competitive segments in half.

On the Ice
    i was thinking the same thing. actually, i always wondered why figure skating has so few events versus other winter sports. for example, speed skating has 16 individual events (8 mens/ 8 womens) and 4 team events (2 mens / 2 womens). snowboarding has 10 individual events (5 mens/ 5 womens). figure skating only has 2 individual events (1 mens/ 1 womens), 2 pairs events (pairs/dance), and 1 team.

Wouldn't these events be fascinating?

1. Improv skate off! Skaters are given the music and theme a few hours before competition. Perhaps different music along same theme per skater so we don't have to watch same piece again and again? Each skater has to quickly prepare a skate to try to interpret the music. perhaps limited/no jumps required. the skaters with best basic skating skills, musicality and interpretative skills would shine. Every competition would be different. could be fun to see skaters trying to do music outside their comfort zone. I could see Kostner, Chan and Abbott doing well here. Older skaters could still compete longer too when athleticism starts to fade.

2. Jump off! Head to head. Seeding just like March Madness bracket. Run in groups of 4 skaters (just like short track speed skating). Only top finisher in group of 4 moves on. Skaters match each other on every jump type, eg 4 skaters do their best axel. then their best toe jump. You do this for all 6 jump categories. if there is a tie, you go to sudden death jump off. first to fall loses. This would be the event testing jumping technique, mental fortitude and consistency. Ito would have dominated this. Mao would have huge advantage with the only 3 axel. but she would need to be more consistent with her other jumps.

3. Plus, of course normal short program / long program competition. Perhaps make them seperate medal events.

Anyway, just a crazy idea.

Is it possible that Cinquanta has legit gone crazy? I mean, seriously.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    . . . Hanyu, Julia, Sotnikova and Michael Martinez are the tools to bring in the new viewers. Plus the new rule about vocal music might work after all.
    I know it may be difficult to coordinate, particularly since the athletes are from so many countries, but I don't understand why the ISU doesn't do more to market its young, attractive athletes, Hanyu and Julia, in particular, seem to be especially marketable and appealing to all ages. They're all over social media. Teenage girls and no-so-teenage women have crushes on Hanyu. Julia received a letter from Stephen Speilberg. Both of them have youth, looks, and that "it" factor. I think the ISU should find ways to tap into the charisma of its athletes instead of getting rid of the short program. The ATP quickly realized it had gold in the Rafa and Roger rivalry. Those two made many appearances together over the years to promote the sport. Maybe the ISU could do some similar things.

My mom's 80 years old and barely follows skating anymore, but she loved Davis & White, Virtue & Moir, and Hanyu when we watched the Olympics. If she knew anything about LiveJournal or Tumblr, she'd probably ship Charlie and Meryl.

Medalist
    Personally I think the "long program" is too long for TV audiences.

A better format would be 2 short programs - one technical and one artistic - where both programs receive equal weight. To win, a skater would have to exhibit both sets of skills.

On the Ice
    concorde, adding to your thought. perhaps can award winner for technical short, winner for artistic short and all-around winner for combined (kind of like gymnastics)

Quote Originally Posted by vegarin View Post
    I literally loled.

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I literally loled.
    Honestly, at one point we have to seriously consider the possibility, no?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by concorde View Post
    A better format would be 2 short programs - one technical and one artistic - where both programs receive equal weight. To win, a skater would have to exhibit both sets of skills.
    Except one of the biggest complaints is the subjectivity of figure skating and that comes mainly in the artistic portion. It wouldn't do anything to help the sport's popularity to highlight an entire program to something that is 100% subjective, and frankly I would hate to see the technical program because the programs would have zero choreography to it.

Medalist
    The three short program format (technical, artistic, combination) may be a good option.

Personally I like to see the jumpers - they may not be artistic but WOW!

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vegarin View Post
    Nah, that's way too good to be true.

Still, I'm having a good time imagining Speedy locked up in a laughing academy. Also considering who to stash in there with him to keep him company...

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast