Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ademption View Post
    Just one other thought. Perhaps I'm just too cynical after watching all of the games that politicians play in my country, but I think I've seen this song and dance before. Politicians often leak to the media some terrible idea that raises a lot of opposition. A trial balloon. After some dialogue, the politician comes up a with a compromise that isn't as bad as the terrible idea that elicited outrage, but it's still worse than the status quo. The politician planned to introduce the compromise all along but knew the compromise would face opposition compared to the status quo. Hence the trial balloon.

It's amazing how Phil Hersh was able to obtain the letter from Cinquitta. Did Cinquatta have one of his minions give it to Phil and other media outlets as a trial balloon? Where's the real proposals?
    Pretty much. If the measures are actually about cutting costs, then why does anonymous judging need to be kept? I don't see how putting names next to scores is any more expensive.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanshilar View Post
    Pretty much. If the measures are actually about cutting costs, then why does anonymous judging need to be kept? I don't see how putting names next to scores is any more expensive.
    Cuts down on toner expenses!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vegarin View Post
    Is it possible that Cinquanta has legit gone crazy? I mean, seriously.
    Putin and Tarasova turned him into a Manchurian candidate, in order to fix the Sochi results. Now, they are just straight up trolling the rest of the world.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    Except one of the biggest complaints is the subjectivity of figure skating and that comes mainly in the artistic portion.
    People mostly like the artistic part of figure skating, as long as there is still strong athleticism involved. But people in general do not enjoy watching skaters do endless crossovers and jumps back and forth around the rink.

Custom Title
    I suggest, instead of dropping SP, that we give separate medals for SP & FS!

Or, if we need to cut costs, we should cut the figure skating itself. There!

Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bebevia View Post
    I suggest, instead of dropping SP, that we give separate medals for SP & FS!

Or, if we need to cut costs, we should cut the figure skating itself. There!
    More medals, more money, huh? And they are trying to cut costs here.
    Seriously they should not cut the short program, that will only harm firgure skating. if that happens, there will be no comeback, no second chance for the skaters to prove themselves within one competition.

Better idea, cut Cinquanta's salary by half. Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    ^^Sounds like a good plan to me.

Really? The skaters would get one shot? That won't add to the pressure at all.
    Sounds liek a really bad plan that would hurt the skaters. I think how it is set-up now is ideal and should not be messed with.

Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    More like speedy's salary get cut entirely and he work for free like all the judges.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    if that happens, there will be no comeback, no second chance for the skaters to prove themselves within one competition.
    For a skater who often falls behind in the SP, dropping it altogether is the most desirable solution.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    For a skater who often falls behind in the SP, dropping it altogether is the most desirable solution.
    How about you let us enjoy the SP and you can just not watch it. That would be fine with me. See you at the FS

to be honest if they eliminate shorts this sport is pretty much done. if i were someone who were looking into figure skating as a potential sport it wouldn't interest me anymore, comparing it to what it was before. events/competitions will be SO much shorter. one skate and you're done. where's the fun in that? no one's going to want to watch anymore...as if anyone watched now here in the US anyway. there will be less variety in training and IMO i would not want to train one program all season long. there would be less of a challenge and it would become boring. sure it would be cheaper in some ways for everyone but really...this is NOT the right thing to do.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Looks like Cinquanta created this pot stirrer as smoke and mirrors to push aside the judging controversy discussion at Worlds.
    The ISU could start by removing Cinquanta. That's where the problems with the ISU starts. Why is one man allowed to stay at the top of an organization for this many years? How many terms has he been President now?

It's ridiculous. It seems like he's been ISU President since I was in high school.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post

Good grief. Are you one of Speedy's paid flunkies? You're as clueless as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Good grief. Are you one of Speedy's paid flunkies? You're as clueless as he is.
    I know!! he is clueless.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast