Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

louisa05

Final Flight
Baseball plays best of seven to decide their champion. Even college baseball plays best of three for the championship. Perhaps, if he is so obsessed with being like other sports, skaters should go head to head best of seven for world titles.

Or perhaps, $peedy should understand that EVERY SPORT IS DIFFERENT.

I swear, I am nearly done with this one. Not because of the sport itself or the athletes, but because watching one man destroy it is too much to take.

nguyhm

On the Ice
I'm feeling defeated - this is a letter from a mad man trying to make some waves before his term expires - just absolute madness :no: :mad: :confused: :bang:

NMURA

Medalist
Merits
save time and money for the ISU and hosting federations
save time and money for skaters
save time and money for audiences
save work time for the judges
save broadcast time for TV stations

I'm very positive that this proposal will pass. Only old fans will be disgruntled.

louisa05

Final Flight
Merits

I'm very positive that this proposal will pass. Only old fans will be disgruntled.

A few problems on your list of "merits":

--Judges volunteer. Also, there are different panels for the SP and LP.
--Television pays the ISU for broadcast rights. If there is less to broadcast, they pay less money to broadcast it.
--Most people who go to skating competitions go because they want to watch a lot of skating and aren't going to be thrilled with less. In fact, here and at FSU, I'm seeing fans who regularly attend competitions asking why they would want to go to the trouble of traveling to see only one program per skater.
--As for skaters, yes, they would not have the cost of choreography for a short program. However, it likely would not cut a lot of training time as training and endurance would need to be the same for the LP anyway. They also would face far greater pressure in competition with only one program to determine everything.

In the end, all it saves is some choreo and costume money for skaters and money for the ISU and hosts. But the ISU loses money on broadcast rights and the hosting federations lose half their ticket revenues (by eliminating half the competition) and possibly more (by alienating fans who choose not to pay travel expenses for one day of competition).

NMURA

Medalist
If they have only FREE, I expect more competitions will be aired. For TV stations, one thing bothering is the long time frame needed. Especially for casual viewers, watching 3-4 hours and still only a half of the game, that's too redundant. I know many of them consider the SP just as qualification rounds. New fans can be attracted by reducing time. Broadcast rights related revenues for the ISU won't be reduced.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
Merits

Save: what for, may I ask? ;)

BusyMom

Medalist
So.. practically likes Novice competitions. All those travelling hustles just to perform one program. If you have a bad day, no chance for any redemptions. This is definitely major going backwards for ISU.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
Some old people don't care about time and money. Most people do.

Well, I dunno how old I must be according your skale. I normally save time and money for entertainment, like watching sports :confused:

Besides, don't get nervous! I'm just asking what your priorities are. Variety is allowed :)

TMC

Record Breaker
I think he is plotting the demise of his successor by killing the sport. So he can go actually during my time the sport was doing better.

I wonder if he received some concerns from the guilty judges/ invested feds about revealing the mark that is why he is addressing the matter his way for assurance.

If there is a petition demanding his firing tomorrow do you think it can gather more than 2 million votes? I bet it can. Some one should start one.

I hope somebody starts that petition asap.

This guy is SO clueless it would be laughable if he weren't going to kill off my favourite sport.

These suggestions are SO RIDICULOUS I can't even

:cry:

louisa05

Final Flight
Some old people don't care about time and money. Most people do.

I already explained to you why this would not be a great savings in terms of money.

And I have yet to hear a single fan, skater or coach complain that competitions as they are are such a drain on their time and they wish they were shorter.

Merits

Only "old fans" will be disgruntled? So let's not worry about it because, hey, there are so many excess skating fans that we need to weed out some of them to make room...

Without "old fans" (by which I charitably assume you mean longtime fans, not people of a certain age), skating would wither away. There aren't a lot of new fans coming up, and there will be fewer of them if less skating is visible on TV. Unless you think that single-event skating competitions will suddenly become trendy with Miley Cyrus fans.

NMURA

Medalist
I already explained to you why this would not be a great savings in terms of money.

And I have yet to hear a single fan, skater or coach complain that competitions as they are are such a drain on their time and they wish they were shorter.

In economic terms, there are only benefits. Alienating old fans like you won't affect anything.

Skaters and coaches don't need to complain. They just adjust to the current rules and conditions. Most of them will welcome this proposal, except for some "short program skaters" who have low BV in the FS.

louisa05

Final Flight
Only "old fans" will be disgruntled? So let's not worry about it because, hey, there are so many excess skating fans that we need to weed out some of them to make room...

Without "old fans" (by which I charitably assume you mean longtime fans, not people of a certain age), skating would wither away. There aren't a lot of new fans coming up, and there will be fewer of them if less skating is visible on TV. Unless you think that single-event skating competitions will suddenly become trendy with Miley Cyrus fans.

But all of us "old people" don't understand about saving time. If we were young and cool, we'd want those comps to be done faster so we could move on to something else. That's why the NFL is looking at cutting games to one quarter and baseball is debating whether one inning would work just as well. We need to save time!!! Who wants their leisure activities like watching sports to take up time? As for Miley, her concert near here was a couple of hours long, I heard. So I'm sure she's on the way out until she can slim that down to a manageable 20 minutes. I want my entertainment done and over quickly, don't you?

BusyMom

Medalist

:agree: It is not worth the efforts, the time and the money. And also one program competition means they can easily fix the score. Hell...they can have all the score sheets ready before the competition even start.

Suzzie

Rinkside
if it's joke, it is not funny. very silly idea. somebody, please stop him. I hope he will not reelected in 2016

tulosai

Record Breaker
I had quoted and was going to reply to a bunch but they all have the same theme and really all I have to say is that I am EXTREMELY disappointed by this and will be VERY disappointed if it passes.

I also don't believe this will save me more than extremely negligible amounts of money as a fan who likes to go to competitions. The plane fare, which is the primary expense, will not decrease. I usually, in one manner or another, do not pay for lodging but even when I do I'm thinking AT MOST this will save me maybe $100 or a bit more for one night in a hotel and maybe $20 for an additional day of food. I don't think the price of an all event pass will decrease much if at all and I think people who think it will are mistaken (though if I am wrong about that my total savings might be a bit more). I'm not saying $120 is nothing to me, but to say it is WILDLY worth it to me to get to watch more skating is an understatement.

Additionally, I really just enjoy the SP. I think it is more balanced than the LP.