Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    all of these ideas are so dumb

if they keep trying to cost cut like this, they'll be having the skaters compete via ozmosis from their hotel rooms
    I agree but don't you mean osmosis from tents????

Custom Title
    If they have only FREE, I expect more competitions will be aired. For TV stations, one thing bothering is the long time frame needed. Especially for casual viewers, watching 3-4 hours and still only a half of the game, that's too redundant. I know many of them consider the SP just as qualification rounds. New fans can be attracted by reducing time. Broadcast rights related revenues for the ISU won't be reduced.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    ANYONE DO ANYTHING TO STOP THIS MAD MAN PLEASE!!!

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Merits
    save time and money for the ISU and hosting federations
    save time and money for skaters
    save time and money for audiences
    save work time for the judges
    save broadcast time for TV stations

I'm very positive that this proposal will pass. Only old fans will be disgruntled.
    Save: what for, may I ask?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    Save: what for, may I ask?
    Some old people don't care about time and money. Most people do.

Custom Title
    So.. practically likes Novice competitions. All those travelling hustles just to perform one program. If you have a bad day, no chance for any redemptions. This is definitely major going backwards for ISU.

Bored
    Well, I dunno how old I must be according your skale. I normally save time and money for entertainment, like watching sports

Besides, don't get nervous! I'm just asking what your priorities are. Variety is allowed

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I think he is plotting the demise of his successor by killing the sport. So he can go actually during my time the sport was doing better.

I wonder if he received some concerns from the guilty judges/ invested feds about revealing the mark that is why he is addressing the matter his way for assurance.

If there is a petition demanding his firing tomorrow do you think it can gather more than 2 million votes? I bet it can. Some one should start one.
    I hope somebody starts that petition asap.

This guy is SO clueless it would be laughable if he weren't going to kill off my favourite sport.

These suggestions are SO RIDICULOUS I can't even

Custom Title
    I already explained to you why this would not be a great savings in terms of money.

And I have yet to hear a single fan, skater or coach complain that competitions as they are are such a drain on their time and they wish they were shorter.

Custom Title
    Merits
    save time and money for the ISU and hosting federations
    save time and money for skaters
    save time and money for audiences
    save work time for the judges
    save broadcast time for TV stations

I'm very positive that this proposal will pass. Only old fans will be disgruntled.
    Only "old fans" will be disgruntled? So let's not worry about it because, hey, there are so many excess skating fans that we need to weed out some of them to make room...

Without "old fans" (by which I charitably assume you mean longtime fans, not people of a certain age), skating would wither away. There aren't a lot of new fans coming up, and there will be fewer of them if less skating is visible on TV. Unless you think that single-event skating competitions will suddenly become trendy with Miley Cyrus fans.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    I already explained to you why this would not be a great savings in terms of money.

And I have yet to hear a single fan, skater or coach complain that competitions as they are are such a drain on their time and they wish they were shorter.
    In economic terms, there are only benefits. Alienating old fans like you won't affect anything.

Skaters and coaches don't need to complain. They just adjust to the current rules and conditions. Most of them will welcome this proposal, except for some "short program skaters" who have low BV in the FS.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Only "old fans" will be disgruntled? So let's not worry about it because, hey, there are so many excess skating fans that we need to weed out some of them to make room...

Without "old fans" (by which I charitably assume you mean longtime fans, not people of a certain age), skating would wither away. There aren't a lot of new fans coming up, and there will be fewer of them if less skating is visible on TV. Unless you think that single-event skating competitions will suddenly become trendy with Miley Cyrus fans.
    But all of us "old people" don't understand about saving time. If we were young and cool, we'd want those comps to be done faster so we could move on to something else. That's why the NFL is looking at cutting games to one quarter and baseball is debating whether one inning would work just as well. We need to save time!!! Who wants their leisure activities like watching sports to take up time? As for Miley, her concert near here was a couple of hours long, I heard. So I'm sure she's on the way out until she can slim that down to a manageable 20 minutes. I want my entertainment done and over quickly, don't you?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post

It is not worth the efforts, the time and the money. And also one program competition means they can easily fix the score. Hell...they can have all the score sheets ready before the competition even start.

Tripping on the Podium
    if it's joke, it is not funny. very silly idea. somebody, please stop him. I hope he will not reelected in 2016

I had quoted and was going to reply to a bunch but they all have the same theme and really all I have to say is that I am EXTREMELY disappointed by this and will be VERY disappointed if it passes.

I also don't believe this will save me more than extremely negligible amounts of money as a fan who likes to go to competitions. The plane fare, which is the primary expense, will not decrease. I usually, in one manner or another, do not pay for lodging but even when I do I'm thinking AT MOST this will save me maybe $100 or a bit more for one night in a hotel and maybe $20 for an additional day of food. I don't think the price of an all event pass will decrease much if at all and I think people who think it will are mistaken (though if I am wrong about that my total savings might be a bit more). I'm not saying $120 is nothing to me, but to say it is WILDLY worth it to me to get to watch more skating is an understatement.

Additionally, I really just enjoy the SP. I think it is more balanced than the LP.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast