Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
In economic terms, there are only benefits.

Hey, again!

Since when saving leads to economic benefits? Which country do you live in? Hasn't saving led to shortages everywhere in your place (should I consider emigration) :confused:

You can only expect benefits if you're saving your wage. In business, the more you invest, the more returns you have. Shortages lead to shortages. I don't see how figure skating as a business might benefit from that except in form of bribery :laugh:

Actually, we might bet but we should agree upon terms and conditions :)

NMURA

Medalist
According to my estimation, the percentages of jumps in the BV will increase by eliminating the SP. It's about 5-6% for men, and 8% for ladies. This means that skaters will be inclined (or forced) to upgrade their technical contents. More difficult quads for men, more 3A and "quads" for ladies. That is the real progress for the sport. More "young" fans will be attracted. Surely Mr Cinquanta wants that.

fairly4

Medalist
to me it hurt the sport instead of help it.

I would like to see give out medals in short/long program at Olympics rather than 1 performance.

1) If go through give mandatory deductions not maybe , but mandatory -10 total for tes/goes for 1 fall, goes up per fall like a total -12 for 2 fall,
-15 for 3 falls and so on. it hurts the performance,
a) for ur/s , wrong edge, double footing give out -6 total on tes/goes ; not maybe -2, for this skater -3 for that skater, but mandatory
for each skater
2) Use your computers--
3) Don't drop high and low marks or scores, count them all
which might help do away with anomonymous judging
4) fine federations, judges through sponors by telling sponors to hold back, isu hold back a portion of that countries sponsorship money in lieu
of a fine.
hold federations,judges accountable even isu accountable.

5) find out why viewers no longer care/watch.
use tweeter, facebook, find out why and ask them what changes would make -how to get them back especially in u.s. don't just use
skating venues ask espn in magazines,twitter, out of ordinary places
ask why don't watch/like figure skating and what would you do changes in scoring, to make you watch.

why trying to save money. isn't the sport getting it.

Vicky458

On the Ice
Time to start a petition to get rid of speedy. The man is on a power trip and he is destroying the sport. He is trying to divert attention away from his part in the farce of the Sochi judging scandal. He needs to go now and all his hench men too. They need to clean up the judges first and foremost. Get rid of the short program and secret judging?:bang:

louisa05

Final Flight
According to my estimation, the percentages of jumps in the BV will increase by eliminating the SP. It's about 5-6% for men, and 8% for ladies. This means that skaters will be inclined (or forced) to upgrade their technical contents. More difficult quads for men, more 3A and "quads" for ladies. That is the real progress for the sport. More "young" fans will be attracted. Surely Mr Cinquanta wants that.

Cinquanta doesn't give a flying you know what about that. And why do you think that base values would increase if the short is eliminated? My guess is, particularly if the interest is saving money, that there will be no scoring changes to the LP. Scoring changes require changing the computer program and retraining judges. Those things cost money.

Mafke

Medalist
Looks like Cinquanta created this pot stirrer as smoke and mirrors to push aside the judging controversy discussion at Worlds.

DING DING DING DING!!!!!

We have a winner.

Emoting about this now will mean it worked.

ks777

Record Breaker

Huh? How is elminating SP will attract more young fans?? Your logic makes no sense at all. Also what makes you think skaters will be doing harder jumps if there is no SP, other than so called "your estimation"?

louisa05

Final Flight
Did it? One of Cinquanta's statements has been to keep the judging anonimous.

I don't think this is a distraction technique. I don't think he cares about what anyone says or thinks about the judging issues. He said there wasn't an issue and that conflicts of interest are not a problem and, in his head, that is over.

This is about leaving his mark on both sports prior to his exit in two years--notice he pointed out it all must be done prior to 2016 when he and others are no longer in their ISU positions. Whether it is to their benefit or not doesn't concern him. It is all a power trip.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Looks like Cinquanta created this pot stirrer as smoke and mirrors to push aside the judging controversy discussion at Worlds.
This is about leaving his mark on both sports prior to his exit in two years
Nah, it's because at the Olympics, skaters came perilously close to beating Kim's World Record total score. And that was designed to be impossible. Slightly reducing the points available to skaters, apparently wasn't enough to seal it.

So, to ensure that Kim's score can never be beaten, and that she will remain "queen" forever... they need to remove the entire SP - and along with it, a huge swathe of the points available to skaters. Simple!

I'm joking of course.

OR AM I?! haha! :-D

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If they have only FREE, I expect more competitions will be aired. For TV stations, one thing bothering is the long time frame needed. Especially for casual viewers, watching 3-4 hours and still only a half of the game, that's too redundant. I know many of them consider the SP just as qualification rounds. New fans can be attracted by reducing time. Broadcast rights related revenues for the ISU won't be reduced.

They only air the "free" programs now in the US, if at all. Eliminating the short program will make no difference at all in terms of number of competitions aired. What should happen is to once again make the short program the technical program and the long program the free skate. That would bring back artistry and creativity, which is what really would attract more fans.

Amer

Final Flight
Country
Italy
At this point I don't know why I even follow figure skating.
They've completely taken the "figure" out of the sport and now want to reduce it to just one long program.
The scoring system is all messed up, protecting the judges is just plain wrong and so many "performances" are so uninspired.
Yes, being a Debbie Downer. Crappy day resulting in crappy post :mad:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
They only air the "free" programs now in the US, if at all. Eliminating the short program will make no difference at all in terms of number of competitions aired.

That makes sense. Why to have a competition that isn't aired anyway?

At this point I don't know why I even follow figure skating.

Why, you can watch a once popular sport going down-down-down :popcorn:

louisa05

Final Flight
They only air the "free" programs now in the US, if at all. Eliminating the short program will make no difference at all in terms of number of competitions aired. What should happen is to once again make the short program the technical program and the long program the free skate. That would bring back artistry and creativity, which is what really would attract more fans.

1--The U.S. is not the world. So the issue of broadcasting has to be looked at in broader terms. Other countries have broadcasters airing whole competitions and the ISU would find out that they are not going to pay the same for less content.

2--The free skate is never going to be a free program again under IJS. If skaters have to accumulate points, then they will all do the same high level content to gain the most points. You can have IJS or a free skate. Not both.

NMURA

Medalist
Huh? How is elminating SP will attract more young fans?? Your logic makes no sense at all. Also what makes you think skaters will be doing harder jumps if there is no SP, other than so called "your estimation"?

Number doesn't lie. By eliminating the SP, the relative values of spins and steps are reduced. It's a rational choice to invest more time and efforts in jumps. Simple as that.

If the whole competition is condensed to one program, it will be more exciting and "clear" for ordinary viewers. Unlike Nordic combined, they are doing basically the same kind of things twice. Just music and length are different.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
No surprise. After years of controversial judging, horrible marketing ability and various decisions by Fraudquanta, and a ridiculous scoring system the general public does not understand and the ISU isnt even bothered to try and help them understand, figure skating tv audiences and ticket sales are amongst the lowest ever, except for places like Japan. The ISU is probably losing money and in debt at this point, and close to bankruptcy. They are desperately trying to cut costs further to stay afloat. I hope the ISU goes bankrupt soon and figure skating is done, but is then resurected under a real FIGURE SKATING organization, not a speed skating one run by an idiot. The sacrifice of a few years without the sport would be well worth it in the end.

Amer

Final Flight
Country
Italy
No surprise. After years of controversial judging, horrible marketing ability and various decisions by Fraudquanta, and a ridiculous scoring system the general public does not understand and the ISU isnt even bothered to try and help them understand, figure skating tv audiences and ticket sales are amongst the lowest ever, except for places like Japan. The ISU is probably losing money and in debt at this point, and close to bankruptcy. They are desperately trying to cut costs further to stay afloat. I hope the ISU goes bankrupt soon and figure skating is done, but is then resurected under a real FIGURE SKATING organization, not a speed skating one run by an idiot. The sacrifice of a few years without the sport would be well worth it in the end.
:thumbsup:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Number doesn't lie. By eliminating the SP, the relative values of spins and steps are reduced. It's a rational choice to invest more time and efforts in jumps. Simple as that.

If the whole competition is condensed to one program, it will be more exciting and "clear" for ordinary viewers. Unlike Nordic combined, they are doing basically the same kind of things twice. Just music and length are different.

The numbers can lie if someone arranges them foolishly!

Do basketball fans get confused after the first half of the game. I mean aren't they"just doing the same thing twice"? Is it less exciting and clear of a game. Well of course it is to me because basketball is just plain terrible IMO.