Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 202

Thread: Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

  1. #76
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    They only air the "free" programs now in the US, if at all. Eliminating the short program will make no difference at all in terms of number of competitions aired. What should happen is to once again make the short program the technical program and the long program the free skate. That would bring back artistry and creativity, which is what really would attract more fans.
    1--The U.S. is not the world. So the issue of broadcasting has to be looked at in broader terms. Other countries have broadcasters airing whole competitions and the ISU would find out that they are not going to pay the same for less content.

    2--The free skate is never going to be a free program again under IJS. If skaters have to accumulate points, then they will all do the same high level content to gain the most points. You can have IJS or a free skate. Not both.

  2. #77
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Huh? How is elminating SP will attract more young fans?? Your logic makes no sense at all. Also what makes you think skaters will be doing harder jumps if there is no SP, other than so called "your estimation"?
    Number doesn't lie. By eliminating the SP, the relative values of spins and steps are reduced. It's a rational choice to invest more time and efforts in jumps. Simple as that.

    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    They only air the "free" programs now in the US, if at all. Eliminating the short program will make no difference at all in terms of number of competitions aired. What should happen is to once again make the short program the technical program and the long program the free skate. That would bring back artistry and creativity, which is what really would attract more fans.
    If the whole competition is condensed to one program, it will be more exciting and "clear" for ordinary viewers. Unlike Nordic combined, they are doing basically the same kind of things twice. Just music and length are different.

  3. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    No surprise. After years of controversial judging, horrible marketing ability and various decisions by Fraudquanta, and a ridiculous scoring system the general public does not understand and the ISU isnt even bothered to try and help them understand, figure skating tv audiences and ticket sales are amongst the lowest ever, except for places like Japan. The ISU is probably losing money and in debt at this point, and close to bankruptcy. They are desperately trying to cut costs further to stay afloat. I hope the ISU goes bankrupt soon and figure skating is done, but is then resurected under a real FIGURE SKATING organization, not a speed skating one run by an idiot. The sacrifice of a few years without the sport would be well worth it in the end.

  4. #79
    Tripping on the Podium Amer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    No surprise. After years of controversial judging, horrible marketing ability and various decisions by Fraudquanta, and a ridiculous scoring system the general public does not understand and the ISU isnt even bothered to try and help them understand, figure skating tv audiences and ticket sales are amongst the lowest ever, except for places like Japan. The ISU is probably losing money and in debt at this point, and close to bankruptcy. They are desperately trying to cut costs further to stay afloat. I hope the ISU goes bankrupt soon and figure skating is done, but is then resurected under a real FIGURE SKATING organization, not a speed skating one run by an idiot. The sacrifice of a few years without the sport would be well worth it in the end.

  5. #80
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Number doesn't lie. By eliminating the SP, the relative values of spins and steps are reduced. It's a rational choice to invest more time and efforts in jumps. Simple as that.



    If the whole competition is condensed to one program, it will be more exciting and "clear" for ordinary viewers. Unlike Nordic combined, they are doing basically the same kind of things twice. Just music and length are different.
    The numbers can lie if someone arranges them foolishly!

    Do basketball fans get confused after the first half of the game. I mean aren't they"just doing the same thing twice"? Is it less exciting and clear of a game. Well of course it is to me because basketball is just plain terrible IMO.

  6. #81
    Gadfly and Bon Vivant Mafke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,398
    This is what it looks like when a sport is dying.

    Radical random changes are proposed that don't address the real problem.

    The public lost confidence in 2002 and the ISU has simply not done enough to regain the public's longterm confidence.

  7. #82
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    The numbers can lie if someone arranges them foolishly!

    Do basketball fans get confused after the first half of the game. I mean aren't they"just doing the same thing twice"? Is it less exciting and clear of a game. Well of course it is to me because basketball is just plain terrible IMO.
    In football, they do the same thing four times. I truly think other sports should follow $peedy's lead. Why should baseball have enough innings for the same player to bat twice? He already batted. Two innings is probably about right. But if either team gets back to the top of the batting order, they can call it a game and go home. And it will save time for the fans. I am old and don't consider a nine inning game a waste of my time, but I'd hate for the younger folks to buy a ticket for a game and have their time wasted. College football could just use what is now their overtime--each team gets the ball on the 25 yard line and four downs. Once each. If it is a tie, get some judges there to give style points and determine the winner. Preferably anonymous judges who are related to the athletic admins of one or more universities.

    I think with a little determination and a lot of input from Cinquanta, we can revolutionize the entire sporting world.

  8. #83
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8
    This actually sounds very interesting me
    Only one program to work on for whole year = more completeness to their program
    Perhaps we will have a bunch of master pieces all of a sudden?

  9. #84
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    In football, they do the same thing four times. I truly think other sports should follow $peedy's lead. Why should baseball have enough innings for the same player to bat twice? He already batted. Two innings is probably about right. But if either team gets back to the top of the batting order, they can call it a game and go home. And it will save time for the fans. I am old and don't consider a nine inning game a waste of my time, but I'd hate for the younger folks to buy a ticket for a game and have their time wasted. College football could just use what is now their overtime--each team gets the ball on the 25 yard line and four downs. Once each. If it is a tie, get some judges there to give style points and determine the winner. Preferably anonymous judges who are related to the athletic admins of one or more universities.

    I think with a little determination and a lot of input from Cinquanta, we can revolutionize the entire sporting world.

  10. #85
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Do basketball fans get confused after the first half of the game. I mean aren't they"just doing the same thing twice"? Is it less exciting and clear of a game. Well of course it is to me because basketball is just plain terrible IMO.
    A game of basketball wont take more than two hours. In figure skating, it often takes 4 hours to finish just a hlf of the game. Ordinary people can be alienated just because of this fact.

  11. #86
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    A game of basketball wont take more than two hours. In figure skating, it often takes 4 hours to finish just a hlf of the game. Ordinary people can be alienated just because of this fact.
    So you've never heard of American football or baseball? The U.S. pretty much comes to a stand still for the Super Bowl which takes over four hours. No one is alienated by the length. (Well...maybe a bit when it is a blow out, but that isn't because of the length). Watching the World Series is a week long commitment and games are three or more hours long and it gets better ratings than skating. This is not really an issue.

  12. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    If this all does come to pass, how will it look finally come Korea 2018? Curious, don't you think? The woman who often and habitually won many a competition in the short program is Korean. I know it is a stretch to connect one with the other but the recent protests by the future hosting nation probably isn't making the top officials very happy. Perhaps this a subtle message and warning to them.
    1. Why would they care. Kim is retired anyway and they have nobody else relevant for a long time anyway.

    2. Dumb logic anyway, considering had there been no short program Kim would actually have more world and olympic titles. She won the LP 5 times in World and Olympic competition, but won the title only 3 of those times.

  13. #88
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    A game of basketball wont take more than two hours. In figure skating, it often takes 4 hours to finish just a hlf of the game. Ordinary people can be alienated just because of this fact.
    I thought'ordinary people' like the Russian crowd was something to be mocked and ostracized! I just can't keep up .

  14. #89
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    256
    So if it was happening now we would already be halfway through the World Champs............that was quick.

  15. #90
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    1. Why would they care. Kim is retired anyway and they have nobody else relevant for a long time anyway.

    2. Dumb logic anyway, considering had there been no short program Kim would actually have more world and olympic titles. She won the LP 5 times in World and Olympic competition, but won the title only 3 of those times.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •