Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I thought'ordinary people' like the Russian crowd was something to be mocked ostracized! I just can't keep up .
    Neither can I.

Just wondering if NMURA has a serious case of ADD and assumes we all do? People invest their time in all sorts of leisure activities that take more than 20 minutes at a time including watching sporting events. I have frequently attended the College World Series where many fans buy seats for the duration and attend two games a day for a solid week. That is much more than the time it takes for 24 short programs at Worlds or Nationals. And if it is all about helping the fans out by making it shorter, we'd best eliminate the long program instead.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    A game of basketball wont take more than two hours. In figure skating, it often takes 4 hours to finish just a hlf of the game. Ordinary people can be alienated just because of this fact.
    Baseball fan cannot miss part of the game because they might miss the homerun. Just like Football, the important score can happen any minutes of the game. In figure skate, the first few group has no factor to the results. New fan usually to watch the last two groups anyway.

Bored
    Trolling may also take several hours, even the whole day long... I mean trolling on a boat!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    Trolling may alsoi take several hours, even the whole day long... I mean trolling on a ship!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    Baseball fan cannot miss part of the game because they might miss the homerun. Just like Football, the important score can happen any minutes of the game. In figure skate, the first few group has no factor to the results. New fan usually to watch the last two groups anyway.
    They can ignored minor skaters but need two days to finish ONE game. I guess the old fans object the idea just because they are too conservative to accept changes. They need new ways of thinking and initiatives to attract new fans. Old-timers won't leave the sport anyway. They are non factors for the ISU leadership.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    They can ignored minor skaters but need two days to finish ONE game. I guess the old fans object the idea just because they are too conservative to accept changes.
    I'd rather see a third purely artistic skate with zero jumps!

Custom Title
    I don't get the outrage. These suggestions are worthy of consideration.

Custom Title
    They can ignored minor skaters but need two days to finish ONE game. I guess the old fans object the idea just because they are too conservative to accept changes. They need new ways of thinking and initiatives to attract new fans. Old-timers won't leave the sport anyway. They are non factors for the ISU leadership.
    And team sports like hockey, football, baseball and basketball need whole seasons to determine who plays for their championships. Fans manage to pay attention. Even a lot of casual ones. Additionally, baseball, basketball and hockey do not have one game determine their champions but have a series of games so that the championships are week long events (five days at its shortest for baseball--I don't know the travel days/scheduling patterns for the other two so can't say). College basketball has nearly a month long tournament to determine its championship and I know plenty of people who watch as much as they can. Or what about tennis--again, a week long tournament or more to determine a champion at any given event with multiple matches and people watch. Fans are not walking away from skating for lack of an attention span. Sports fans in general do not lack that. You are arguing to fix a problem that is not the problem. As is Cinquanta.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    I don't get the outrage. These suggestions are worthy of consideration.
    Keeping the anonymous judging is not, though.

With all due respect, I cannot imagine watching only one program per skater for a whole season.

Custom Title
    Too conservative to accept the change??? This change doesn't sound like the new innovative way of improvement at all. If you in to social media, you'll see today all the new fan especially teenagers showed how much they enjoy the SP. They are very excited for tomorrow Ladies competition, and the FS later in the week. Obviously, Hanyu, Julia, Sotnikova and Michael Martinez are the tools to bring in the new viewers. Plus the new rule about vocal music might work after all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colourmeblue View Post
    With all due respect, I cannot imagine watching only one program per skater for a whole season.
    I think it would be quite boring for the skaters too.

Custom Title
    My biggest issue is that, because skate order can have a very real impact to the outcome, having only one program does not give early skaters an opportunity to skate a good short and have a decent chance to medal in the more important LP. And I completely agree with colourmeblue that only seeing one program per year from a skater would be boring. I enjoy seeing the variety of how skaters perform to different types of pieces, such as this season with Caro and how her Bolero is so much more extroverted than her SP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Keeping the anonymous judging is not, though.
    I do not really care about this change as that's not solution. We had a transparent system before, that never stopped the national bias.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    My biggest issue is that, because skate order can have a very real impact to the outcome, having only one program does not give early skaters an opportunity to skate a good short and have a decent chance to medal in the more important LP. And I completely agree with colourmeblue that only seeing one program per year from a skater would be boring. I enjoy seeing the variety of how skaters perform to different types of pieces, such as this season with Caro and how her Bolero is so much more extroverted than her SP.
    Exactly. It's always so interesting to see a skater skate to two such different programs. It shows what they can really do.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast