Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For a skater who often falls behind in the SP, dropping it altogether is the most desirable solution.

How about you let us enjoy the SP and you can just not watch it. That would be fine with me. See you at the FS :sarcasm:

macy

Record Breaker
to be honest if they eliminate shorts this sport is pretty much done. if i were someone who were looking into figure skating as a potential sport it wouldn't interest me anymore, comparing it to what it was before. events/competitions will be SO much shorter. one skate and you're done. where's the fun in that? no one's going to want to watch anymore...as if anyone watched now here in the US anyway. there will be less variety in training and IMO i would not want to train one program all season long. there would be less of a challenge and it would become boring. sure it would be cheaper in some ways for everyone but really...this is NOT the right thing to do.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Looks like Cinquanta created this pot stirrer as smoke and mirrors to push aside the judging controversy discussion at Worlds.

The ISU could start by removing Cinquanta. That's where the problems with the ISU starts. Why is one man allowed to stay at the top of an organization for this many years? How many terms has he been President now?

It's ridiculous. It seems like he's been ISU President since I was in high school.

ks777

Record Breaker
For a skater who often falls behind in the SP, dropping it altogether is the most desirable solution.

You do realize that they fall behind or make mistakes in SP because they have hard time controlling nerves, most of the time.. and some skaters like Mao skated clean in FP because she was out of medal contention and had nothing to lose. Not because she hates SP or anything like that. so it won't make any difference whatsoever.

Meoima

Match Penalty
You do realize that they fall behind or make mistakes in SP because they have hard time controlling nerves, most of the time.. and some skaters like Mao skated clean in FP because she was out of medal contention and had nothing to lose. Not because she hates SP or anything like that. so it won't make any difference whatsoever.
Yes, I love the come back, it shows true sportsmanship, you fell, keep moving on, don't give up. Now they are trying to take that away because they think it's costly! It's Speedy fault for making up all the controversies and now he is trying to out the blame on the sport itself?:bang:

NMURA

Medalist

It makes a lot of difference. One mistake is much costlier in the SP than the free. A strong "free program skater" can relax a little since he knows that falling on the first jump won't mean the end of competition. For example, Hanyu would be able to win 99% even if he fell on the 4S as long as he could land everything else. Even for Mao, if she had the reliable 3-3 she wouldn't be too much nervous in the SP.

BusyMom

Medalist
How about you let us enjoy the SP and you can just not watch it. That would be fine with me. See you at the FS :sarcasm:
:clap::clap::clap: Not to mention how cowardice that is. If they have that kind of attitude, they not even should be in the sport from the start.

Mafke

Medalist
If you pay attention to business there are certain signs that they're about to go belly up. Massive shakeups that seem to not have anything to do with anything (and which don't address the source of problems) are a major indication of a floundering organization that is in trouble and has no real idea how to get out of it.

The ISU is giving every indication of being on its last legs.

On the other hand, that might just be my fervent hope.

TMC

Record Breaker
to be honest if they eliminate shorts this sport is pretty much done. if i were someone who were looking into figure skating as a potential sport it wouldn't interest me anymore, comparing it to what it was before. events/competitions will be SO much shorter. one skate and you're done. where's the fun in that? no one's going to want to watch anymore...as if anyone watched now here in the US anyway. there will be less variety in training and IMO i would not want to train one program all season long. there would be less of a challenge and it would become boring. sure it would be cheaper in some ways for everyone but really...this is NOT the right thing to do.

This is it. Mess with the system -> cut costs -> cut fans, viewers -> cut costs further -> kill sport.

They should totally capitalize on people like Yuzu, Yulia, Jason now when the iron is hot & get rid of nameless judging -> create idols to follow & make scoring understandable -> get more fans -> get more money.

Austerity will not work. It will not bring MORE money. The only thing to do is invest, not cut.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
This is it. Mess with the system -> cut costs -> cut fans, viewers -> cut costs further -> kill sport.

They should totally capitalize on people like Yuzu, Yulia, Jason now when the iron is hot & get rid of nameless judging -> create idols to follow & make scoring understandable -> get more fans -> get more money.

Austerity will not work. It will not bring MORE money. The only thing to do is invest, not cut.

Do ISU publish their financials like any public listed company? I am curious how budget they get, how much contribution federation make. Everyone contribute the same? Or bigger federation contribute more. Contribute equally, or up to their 'discretion'. Privately, publicly?
Just how much does Speedy earn, and things cost. I wonder if there's a culture of kickbacks, underhanded payment, otherwise I can't imagine why one would want to be stay in power of such a 'poor' sport. It is too suspicious.

GF2445

Record Breaker
There were a couple of things in the letter that ottavio wrote that seem fair but getting rid of the SP is not a good decision.
Half the fun of skating is the restrategising and speculation after the short program.

bebevia

On the Ice
More medals, more money, huh? And they are trying to cut costs here.
Seriously they should not cut the short program, that will only harm firgure skating.:disapp: if that happens, there will be no comeback, no second chance for the skaters to prove themselves within one competition.
I like the current way, but I think the alternative is better this way if anything happened. The more-medals doesn't concern event operation costs, but it doesn't add much either except the cost of medals - wait, SP & FS already have separate small medals! I also think keeping the current medal as the overall score.

One major reason that Cinquanta had was because it'll cut skaters' prep costs (like he cares) - in this case, giving them choice of one or two disciplines would allow them more efficient use of their resources by focusing on their strengths. I think that rather satisfies you better with the interest of giving skaters more chances, not to mention variety (more technical vs. more artistry) of chances. Like speedy wants, it'll be like speed skating with 500m, 1500m and overall score ranking at short track Worlds (BTW, did you know that superfinals were added only recently? There's how he's cutting costs :rolleye:)

Again, I think we do alternatives if it's his goal to ultimately eliminate the sport. Honestly, I think he's not getting the concept of management - cutting costs in a sport should contribute to the quality of the sport, because feds like ISU is there to invest in its sports despite the non-profitable nature of sports. If the profit theory was so much the focus (figure skating is still enough to support itself, though, and speed skating had to use FS income to survive), there isn't many sports in the Olympics that should exist.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia

That's what I'm also saying. Except, I'm saying they should invest in the development of technology. Well, they may have no money but don't tell me they can't find an investor in Japan, for example.
There are hundreds of ways how to decide who wins but only one way how to find out who skates better: to measure it.
If that can't cause interest then what can?

ILuvYuna

On the Ice
One major reason that Cinquanta had was because it'll cut skaters' prep costs (like he cares) - in this case, giving them choice of one or two disciplines would allow them more efficient use of their resources by focusing on their strengths.

But isn't cutting costs going to have a trickle-down effect on everyone invovled in the skater's prep?

If coaches, choreographers, rinks, seamstresses, etc. suddenly found their income cut by anywhere up to half, they would necessarily have to raise their prices in order to continue making a living. Maybe someone who knows more about economics can confirm this, but I get the feeling that any "savings" brought about by this decision (for the skaters) would be short-lived.

louisa05

Final Flight
I♥Yuna;896135 said:
But isn't cutting costs going to have a trickle-down effect on everyone invovled in the skater's prep?

If coaches, choreographers, rinks, seamstresses, etc. suddenly found their income cut by anywhere up to half, they would necessarily have to raise their prices in order to continue making a living. Maybe someone who knows more about economics can confirm this, but I get the feeling that any "savings" brought about by this decision (for the skaters) would be short-lived.

This.

And cutting the short programs would also mean lost revenue--ticket sales and broadcast rights.

bebevia

On the Ice
I♥Yuna;896135 said:

True. Hence why Cinquanta's reasoning does not make sense.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think this is a stupid idea!!!! For one thing, a skater can have a bad SP and make up for it with a good LP. You have 2 chances to show what you've been training for for years. I don't see how this could save money, quite frankly, and a skater's whole career could be ruined with one bad LP.