2014 Worlds - Pairs Free Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Pairs Free Skating

Becki

Medalist
So how can somebody place 3rd and still not be beaten??? LOL. I forgot that they WDed at Euros so technically the were not beaten. BUT S/K did beat V/T in FS.

All I am saying is that time of dominance ends at some point. When they competed there were few teams as consistent as S/K and V/T. I wish them all the best and i hope they stay, I enjoy them. But I also do not see any reason for them NOT for fans.

I said every competition EXCEPT for the Olympics. Therefore, it is not possible for S/K to have beaten S/S TWICE this season. Perhaps before attacking others, you should read their message first.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
(And thanks V/T for not showing up. :laugh: They'd've won with a fall even most likely)

Yes, Thanks for not showing up and grabing 9.85 for Transitions, Interpretation and Excecution
For standing in front of each other for 6 seconds without moving after a spin and then going into Choreography :laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker
From Valentina's facebook post, I got the sense that the "sleeping in the arena" was more of a positive than a negative. It sounded like the organizers had some (very pretty!) beds installed in the arena so that the athletes could "rest between the practices". The skaters' hotel seems to be an hour away, and I presume that that's where most of them sleep.

Yes, the reason was because the hotel was an hour away. No she was not negative and it's not negative, but of course it's not the same thing I guess. It depends what do you prefer.
I never studied the violin at home when I was at school. I always preferred to go and study there, at school.
For some might be the same thing in this case. Training and sleeping in the same place might not be that good for some.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Actually Becki is correct. S&S's only loss of the season was the Olympics. They werent skating anywhere near as well as V&T yet in the fall (pre grand prix final and Europans) part of the season, but they never met so technically still did not lose an event other than the Olympics all season.

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
I am somehow doubtful about S/H prospects. They are getting worth technically. P/Z and Y/J are already on the same level in PCS and TES.

Does anyone know if any of the Canadians are retiring?

I had read an article (trying to find a link to it) in which Moore-Towers/Moscovitch confirm that they do plan to stick it out until 2018 and would like to work on increasing their technical difficulty in their elements.

And from what I gather Meagan/Eric might have another season or two left in them, but just unsure of 4 more years yet.

Which is great news considering Canada does not have any other real quality pairs teams coming up that could take their place!!

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER 224.88 1 1 video
2 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV RUS 215.92 3 2 video
3 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD CAN 210.84 2 4 video
4 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN 205.52 6 3 video
5 Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG CHN 194.83 5 5 video
6 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN 192.10 4 9 video
7 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV RUS 189.44 7 6 video
8 Julia ANTIPOVA / Nodari MAISURADZE RUS 186.22 8 10 video
9 Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK ITA 184.28 10 7 video
10 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES FRA 183.90 9 8 video

whatif

Medalist
Actually Becki is correct. S&S's only loss of the season was the Olympics. They werent skating anywhere near as well as V&T yet in the fall (pre grand prix final and Europans) part of the season, but they never met so technically still did not lose an event other than the Olympics all season.

They lost SP to V/T at Europeans and WD from FS. so they DID NOT win every competition EXCEPT for Olympics.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Yes, Thanks for not showing up and grabing 9.85 for Transitions, Interpretation and Excecution
For standing in front of each other for 6 seconds without moving after a spin and then going into Choreography :laugh:

Don't get me started on the Jesus Christ Superstar mid-program break. UGH! I love V/T's short but that long. Gag me. How those judges just ignored Tatiana just standing there moving her hands around and saying that was exquisite choreography. Ugh ugh ugh. They are better than that program. I blame their coaches for that travesty.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I had read an article (trying to find a link to it) in which Moore-Towers/Moscovitch confirm that they do plan to stick it out until 2018 and would like to work on increasing their technical difficulty in their elements.

And from what I gather Meagan/Eric might have another season or two left in them, but just unsure of 4 more years yet.

Which is great news considering Canada does not have any other real quality pairs teams coming up that could take their place!!

Not surprised to hear that. I kind of thought even a month ago M-T&M would go another quad, while D&R were more likely to skate another year or two then retire (or Eric partner someone else with Meaghan retiring at that point).

whatif

Medalist

based on today's result they are the ones who will be challenging the Russians if they stay. Good for them. I do prefer M-T/M.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
They lost SP to V/T at Europeans and WD from FS. so they DID NOT win every competition EXCEPT for Olympics.

I am not sure that it is fair assuming S/S LOST the europeans considering how V/T skated in the LP...

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Don't get me started on the Jesus Christ Superstar mid-program break. UGH! I love V/T's short but that long. Gag me. How those judges just ignored Tatiana just standing there moving her hands around and saying that was exquisite choreography. Ugh ugh ugh. They are better than that program. I blame their coaches for that travesty.

Yes, that's my biggest problem with V/T: great elements, but meh programs (with a few exceptions)

whatif

Medalist
Agreed. If anything, they were probably kicking themselves for missing a golden opportunity, literally.

Exactly, they lost before even entering the comp. But the shape they were in was not a good sign, so probably a smart decision even though it did not paid off in the long run. I suspect that they would have probably lost to S/K as well.

Alba

Record Breaker
Small technical CoP quibble... I hate how a 3T+3T(SEQ) (done by the Germans) is actually worth less in base value than a 3T+2T+2T (done by S/K). It's stuff like that which makes the CoP weird... can we just eliminate the stupid 80% SEQ thing?

I think that element it's important for Pairs though. Unison and timing? Not very easy to do a good seq.

I can see how technically they can be beaten by other teams, but is their PCS really weaker than D&R.

Well, I definitely prefer MT/T in that aspect.

Stolbova on the other hand looks miserable, almost on the verge of tears?

Happy and stress relief perhaps for her first world medal, at their first attempt, after a silver in Euros and Sochi? Not so miserable I think.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
based on today's result they are the ones who will be challenging the Russians if they stay. Good for them. I do prefer M-T/M.

It is hard to say. They had a really good competition here (and I am not surprised, I mentioned in the other thread how determined Meaghan sounded in interviews leading into worlds) but on the whole they arent the most consistent team and they will probably always lack some polish. I am not sure who is the biggest competition for the Russians long term, but D&R wouldnt be my first guess. If V&T stay I honestly cant see anyone other than maybe S&K challenging them. The best the rest can hope anytime soon is to challenge S&K, not V&T who are just eons ahead of anyone after that left.

I am also doubting the prospects of Sui & Han moving forward although I like them. She is almost as big as him now. I hope for their sake she is completely done growing. I also agree with the poster that they seem to be declining technically in some ways which is not good.

I think Peng & Zhang have potential moving forward but he is almost 30.

Moore-Towers & Moscovitch need more difficulty and need to do bigger tricks and skate bigger.