Thread: Michelle stars in political ad for husband

Custom Title

Michelle stars in political ad for husband

Custom Title
    I think it was a well done ad. Many figure skating fans in the US are Republican, but are predominantly women. Focusing strictly on women's issues, I think, was a smart choice because she isn't alienating any of her fans while still supporting her husband.

Very well done ad. Thanks for sharing.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I think it was a well done ad. Many figure skating fans in the US are Republican, but are predominantly women. Focusing strictly on women's issues, I think, was a smart choice because she isn't alienating any of her fans while still supporting her husband.
    How can you determine the political leanings of skating fans? Has a formal survey been completed or is this anecdotal? I've never seen research on how skating fans fall out politically so I am fascinated...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    How can you determine the political leanings of skating fans? Has a formal survey been completed or is this anecdotal? I've never seen research on how skating fans fall out politically so I am fascinated...
    Also anecdotal, but based on the much more active political section at the "other forum", I would say that skating fans, like the rest of the country, fall across the entire political spectrum.

I highly doubt anyone has done any formal research on the matter as it is enough of a niche sport that answering the question would have little impact on anything.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    Also anecdotal, but based on the much more active political section at the "other forum", I would say that skating fans, like the rest of the country, fall across the entire political spectrum.

I highly doubt anyone has done any formal research on the matter as it is enough of a niche sport that answering the question would have little impact on anything.
    Mostly agree, louisa.

But it would not surprise me if Team Pell/Kwan has commissioned some private formal polling (never to be shared with the public) with a narrow focus on how their specific campaign can best leverage Kwan's name recognition as a legendary skater.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    But it would not surprise me if Team Pell/Kwan has commissioned some private formal polling (never to be shared with the public) with a narrow focus on how their specific campaign can best leverage Kwan's name recognition as a legendary skater.
    Michelle has been visiting schools in Rhode Island like crazy all spring. She was the commencement speaker at several high schools and she also addressed student assemblies and many middle schools and grade schools. Pretty much anywhere anyone wanted to hear her standard State Department speech about setting goals, working hard, and getting back up if you fall.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmkkmOPIcAA9gdE.jpg

Here she is (with Clay) wrapping up the Rhode Island Thai-American vote at the Boun Pravat festival. (Not sure how many of these constituents are old enoungh to vote, but still... )

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsjPK45CIAABEhI.jpg

And don't forget the endorsement of the Firefighters' Union (who are mad at Clay's two opponents anyway because of cuts to their pensions).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BizHo7XIMAA7pbG.jpg

Plus all the grass roots meetings in community centers and door to door canvassing (even in the rain ):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsiY7agCEAAH74Q.jpg

But seriously… no more than 100,000 people are expected to turn out to vote in the Democratic primary in this small state. In a three-way race, 40,000 votes will probably be enough to win. There must be 40,000 skating fans in Rhode Island, right?
    Last edited by Mathman; Yesterday at 02:06 PM.

Sorry, maybe my post above was not clear. I know that Michelle has been very active on the campaign trail.
    What I meant is that it is possible that some of Pell's private polling has addressed how to target Michelle's finite time and energy most effectively ... and how to prioritize which demographics, which types of messages, which types of event formats, etc., should get more or less of her attention.
    She is not only the candidate's wife, but also a public figure in her own right, an Olympic medalist and world champion, a diplomat, a college grad with a master's degree (IIRC), a member of a racial minority, a female, a non-parent, a non-native of Rhode Island, etc., etc.
    I was saying that it is possible that polling has helped determine which aspects of her background and experiences are likely to strike the most (and least) positive chords with various subgroups of the electorate. For example, I would guess that for some voters, her celebrity and her academic pedigree could be potential turn-offs -- so in certain settings, they would be deemphasized. But highlighted in others.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Sorry, maybe my post above was not clear. I know that Michelle has been very active on the campaign trail.
    What I meant is that it is possible that some of Pell's private polling has addressed how to target Michelle's finite time and energy most effectively ... and how to prioritize which demographics, which types of messages, which types of event formats, etc., should get more or less of her attention.
    She is not only the candidate's wife, but also a public figure in her own right, an Olympic medalist and world champion, a diplomat, a college grad with a master's degree (IIRC), a member of a racial minority, a female, a non-parent, a non-native of Rhode Island, etc., etc.
    I was saying that it is possible that polling has helped determine which aspects of her background and experiences are likely to strike the most (and least) positive chords with various subgroups of the electorate. For example, I would guess that for some voters, her celebrity and her academic pedigree could be potential turn-offs -- so in certain settings, they would be deemphasized. But highlighted in others.
    That may be true (depending on how flush with cash the campaign is). But figure skating is a niche sport and Rhode Island is a small state. As Mathman said, the turnout is expected at about 100,000 and this is a primary race; additionally, Michelle's fame as an Olympian was wider than just the small core that makes up serious figure skating fans in this country. So the likelihood that any such research has focused on whether or not Democrats or Republicans make up the majority of skating fans is extremely small--and frankly a bit meaningless for the task at hand which is winning a Democratic primary. And it is actually more likely that they used some focus group type research to determine the things you mentioned--and such research would be done to best use any candidate's partner for campaign purposes not just partners who happen to be well-educated former Olympians.

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    That may be true (depending on how flush with cash the campaign is). But figure skating is a niche sport and Rhode Island is a small state. As Mathman said, the turnout is expected at about 100,000 and this is a primary race; additionally, Michelle's fame as an Olympian was wider than just the small core that makes up serious figure skating fans in this country. So the likelihood that any such research has focused on whether or not Democrats or Republicans make up the majority of skating fans is extremely small--and frankly a bit meaningless for the task at hand which is winning a Democratic primary. And it is actually more likely that they used some focus group type research to determine the things you mentioned--and such research would be done to best use any candidate's partner for campaign purposes not just partners who happen to be well-educated former Olympians.
    Again, mostly agree.
    Because Pell seems to be far from a shoo-in to win the primary, I am leaping to the conclusion that he is reaching into his family's deep pockets to pull out all the stops -- including private polling. But I could be totally wrong.
    True that research re how to make the most of the candidate's spouse would be absolutely nothing new. So happens that Kwan's Olympic superstardom is rare (AFAIK??) among candidate spouses in the U.S. -- and it would be an important part of the equation in her case, I would think. But I agree with your point that research to maximize her effect on this race would not be the same thing as national or even state data re party affiliation of skating fans.
    I am leaping to the conclusion also that if Pell loses this primary, it will not be his last campaign by any stretch. Public service is in his blood, so I would venture to guess that anything and everything that Michelle and he learn from this candidacy will be applied to future ones.

Custom Title
    Pell comes in third in all polls that have been conducted so far. One political analyst said he had to spend a million dollars to make voters forget about his missing Prius episode lol.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Pell comes in third in all polls that have been conducted so far. One political analyst said he had to spend a million dollars to make voters forget about his missing Prius episode lol.
    I never saw that but it sounds funny: http://www.providencejournal.com/bre...n-december.ece

The last statewide polls were two months ago. It looked pretty grim for the 'Chelle-Pell team, with Clay trailing the two front-runners by double digits. The only bright spot was the 22% undecided.

Then the actual campaign began. This is what the political pundits are saying now, with a month and a half to go.

http://wpri.com/2014/07/21/clay-pell...c-gov-primary/

http://www.abc6.com/story/26089376/d...ir-hands-dirty

Will there be a second half bonus on Mr. Pell's protocol?