Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split | Page 133 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the cherry on the cake would be S&K doing Carmen as well! :rolleye::rolleye:

Alba, ahahahahaha!!! :rofl: Yes, it would!! The Russian ice dancers could have a showdown...can you imagine competitons where they'd all be there? They could all go in a row; and we could all judge play by play their execution, edges, holds, emotions, LOL :popcorn:

LMFAO, idk why I find this so humorous but I do... :laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker
Alba, ahahahahaha!!! :rofl: Yes, it would!! The Russian ice dancers could have a showdown...can you imagine competitons where they'd all be there? They could all go in a row; and we could all judge play by play their execution, edges, holds, emotions, LOL :popcorn:

LMFAO, idk why I find this so humorous but I do... :laugh:

Yep you have a point there. It will be easier for the judges to judge them. The same program, kind of, but different skaters.
Kind of Compulsory dances as it used to be. :biggrin:

I must confess. I would enjoy this battle of Carmens though. :popcorn:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How many "respectable" recognizable pieces of music are there that would be suitable for paso?

Of course, I'd like to see someone choose music that is completely out of the box, but daring innovative musical selections are pretty rare.

And when something innovative does occur, provided it is well received, that music gets immediately used by someone else... and I have Meite's use of Jason Brown's Prince short program music in mind when I say this.

Yep you have a point there. It will be easier for the judges to judge them. The same program, kind of, but different skaters.
Kind of Compulsory dances as it used to be. :biggrin:

I must confess. I would enjoy this battle of Carmens though. :popcorn:

Honestly....I would enjoy seeing this showdown. I mean, I hate the number of times "Carmen" is used every year....but, if it's going to be a battle royale of sorts, then I'm all in.

Alba

Record Breaker
How many "respectable" recognizable pieces of music are there that would be suitable for paso?

Of course, I'd like to see someone choose music that is completely out of the box, but daring innovative musical selections are pretty rare.

A lot, without the need to choose a music that is "out of the box", whatever that means.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmexmdT48M (1 hour of paso doble music choice)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCtleZXnnFg (40 minutes of paso doble songs)

TheGothicEme

On the Ice

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A lot, without the need to choose a music that is "out of the box", whatever that means.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmexmdT48M (1 hour of paso doble music choice)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCtleZXnnFg (40 minutes of paso doble songs)

Thanks. I guess that is more than I thought.

When I mean "out of the box" I mean something original, unexpected, not used in skating (or at least used sparingly) or something used in a different way.

I used Jason Brown's "Prince" as an example. D/W SD to "Giselle" would be another... not that the music is completely original, but skated as a polka is "out of the box."

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
what's with all the hate of B/S doing Carmen?
last time they kiled each other on ice was f***ing fabulous, can't wait to see him killing her again on this year's Carmen :v
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd....0x720/1477530_372428932895530_116123518_n.jpg

Hate? I'm not seeing any. I feel the word is thrown around a lot these days, sheesh; practically every time someone claims not to like something, or not to look forward to something. OK, back on topic... I can reply for myself only - granted you're asking why the news of B/S's short dance got such a lukewarm response. Three reasons for me - a) the overused music. I wasn't happy about any couple or skater who chose it this season, not just B/S. Also, how different can the dances be in content, if only certain themes can be used from Carmen. b) I'll be frank, I prefer the traditional dark-haired Carmens, and B is a blonde, so I'm having my doubts about how she fits the role. Unless she's choosing another character's music that is. And c), I have a feeling she'll already be dying in Karenina, so one big drama and death will be enough for me. I don't need to see deaths all the time from them (I'm thinking of Birds here). Again, unless they don't choose a dying part, but somehow I doubt that.
Just my 2 cents.

Macassar88

Medalist
Hate? I'm not seeing any. I feel the word is thrown around a lot these days, sheesh; practically every time someone claims not to like something, or not to look forward to something. OK, back on topic... I can reply for myself only - granted you're asking why the news of B/S's short dance got such a lukewarm response. Three reasons for me - a) the overused music. I wasn't happy about any couple or skater who chose it this season, not just B/S. Also, how different can the dances be in content, if only certain themes can be used from Carmen. b) I'll be frank, I prefer the traditional dark-haired Carmens, and B is a blonde, so I'm having my doubts about how she fits the role. Unless she's choosing another character's music that is. And c), I have a feeling she'll already be dying in Karenina, so one big drama and death will be enough for me. I don't need to see deaths all the time from them (I'm thinking of Birds here). Again, unless they don't choose a dying part, but somehow I doubt that.
Just my 2 cents.

Ekaterina has dyed her hair for the role

Also Navka was blonde and won the OGM with it (Kostomarov happened to be on the ice as well, but we all know that Navka won the OGM for them both.

Alba

Record Breaker
When I mean "out of the box" I mean something original, unexpected, not used in skating (or at least used sparingly) or something used in a different way.

I used Jason Brown's "Prince" as an example. D/W SD to "Giselle" would be another... not that the music is completely original, but skated as a polka is "out of the box."

You can do your own rendition. Edit, mix as you like with the music, but at least you have different choices from where to start.

Ekaterina has dyed her hair for the role

Also Navka was blonde and won the OGM with it (Kostomarov happened to be on the ice as well, but we all know that Navka won the OGM for them both.

You're right the thing about hair colour is not an argument, IMO, but surimi has a good point here.
Talking about hate is just ridiculous. I was not excited when I heard that I&Z chose Carmen, and I adore Elena.
Maybe it will be a great Carmen, but to say that it's overused and many people are sick of it it's just the reality not hate.

:rofl: Omg, I love snarky little comments like these. So great and so true!!!

Long live the snark we all have for Carmen and those ladies who have slayed as her (& may we forget those that haven't). It's not hate, it's honesty; and I love it. :yes: I think we all have pieces that we could do without hearing/watching again...whether it be "Carmen" or one of the many other over used program choices.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I just think we've seen really great Carmens in the past quad, and in all honesty it's an uninspired choice for both teams. I love Elena and think she'll do great, but will she live up to what Tessa and Anna did as Carmen?

Also, Ekaterina did dye her hair for the role, but it looks more auburn/red than the typical brown or black:
http://instagram.com/p/pDmHxbhnRs/

I just think we've seen really great Carmens in the past quad, and in all honesty it's an uninspired choice for both teams. I love Elena and think she'll do great, but will she live up to what Tessa and Anna did as Carmen?

Also, Ekaterina did dye her hair for the role, but it looks more auburn/red than the typical brown or black:
http://instagram.com/p/pDmHxbhnRs/

ITA on all points! :) Granted, if I'm going to sit through more Carmen's, then I'm going to try and have fun with it, lol. O:)

Also her new auburn/red hair looks very nice on her! :) But, it will take me some getting used to for me just because I am so used to her being blonde.

anyanka

Record Breaker
what's with all the hate of B/S doing Carmen?
last time they kiled each other on ice was f***ing fabulous, can't wait to see him killing her again on this year's Carmen :v
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd....0x720/1477530_372428932895530_116123518_n.jpg

Vanilla is a nice, safe ice cream flavor.
We don't hate it, we just don't think it's our favorite.
B/S = vanilla
Perfectly pleasant, but nothing to write home about when there are so many other flavors on the menu.

Alba

Record Breaker
B/S = vanilla
Perfectly pleasant, but nothing to write home about when there are so many other flavors on the menu.

:laugh:

So easy and nice way to describe it. :agree:

Macassar88

Medalist
B/S = vanilla

Saying that Insanity and Birds are vanilla is like saying that Anjelika Krylova isn't expressive

Maybe their dances aren't to your taste, but they're definitely not ordinary.

Lota

Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to this Carmen fest. God knows I'll probably be sick of it by the end of the season, but every team has its own interpretation of Carmen, each one brings something of their own into it, so I'm reaaaally looking forward to see each and every interpretation, at least once :)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Saying that Insanity and Birds are vanilla is like saying that Anjelika Krylova isn't expressive

Maybe their dances aren't to your taste, but they're definitely not ordinary.

I love that you use insanity and birds that way. :p
But point well taken - it's a matter of taste, at least for me.
I was referring to their presence on ice, not the content of their program.
You can add vanilla to the most unorthodox dish and it would still wouldn't be a distinct flavor that stands out right away.
It's there, it's nice ... and that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.