Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split | Page 90 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also how cheap was it that there was Nikita's try-out behind her back? If it were me I'd pack my bags and go to airport instead of being lied to and then having to skate with that partner too. At least she stuck to her commitment! Hats off to her. Glad she she isn't in a toxic partnership anymore.

Exactly! So agree with you! :) Let's face it, there are quite a few athletes out there that would've taken off or would've skated terribly. She thought about not wanting to do it (normal response) but then she went through with it and did her best, so I applaud her.

And I feel like from what I read that she didn't say she wasn't motivated for an Olympic medal - she just didn't have the desire to go after a World's when she'd just found out that Nikita, their coach, etc. were working behind her back to get him a new partner and everyone knew about it. So, I don't have any worries! I think she and Ruslan have a desire to go very far (which she basically said); and she also said that she knew it'd be a lot of work, but they're up for it. So, kudos to them!

kittyvondutch

Rinkside
Exactly! So agree with you! :) Let's face it, there are quite a few athletes out there that would've taken off or would've skated terribly. She thought about not wanting to do it (normal response) but then she went through with it and did her best, so I applaud her.

And I feel like from what I read that she didn't say she wasn't motivated for an Olympic medal - she just didn't have the desire to go after a World's when she'd just found out that Nikita, their coach, etc. were working behind her back to get him a new partner and everyone knew about it. So, I don't have any worries! I think she and Ruslan have a desire to go very far (which she basically said); and she also said that she knew it'd be a lot of work, but they're up for it. So, kudos to them!

Agreed :thumbsup:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Obviously this is only her side of the story, but I found a comment on EV's blog interesting; the person said "even without saying one negative word, she has managed to show Nikita as a scoundrel or a fool, or a combination of both."
Nice comment!! :clap:

Alba

Record Breaker
I found a comment on EV's blog interesting; the person said "even without saying one negative word, she has managed to show Nikita as a scoundrel or a fool, or a combination of both."

Absolutely. She did manage to be very diplomatic about Morozov as well. ;)

Kolia is a huge fun of his profession. He can work around the clock. He sharpens the blades himself, chooses and cuts the music, gives costumes advice and choreographes the programmes. On the other hand I think you have to understand: when you are trying to do all those things there always will be better professionals in each department. Especially when it's about something very focused. I always loved having an opportunity to learn from different people.

sisinka

Final Flight
But what your failing to consider is that she just found out that her partner was essentially dumping her; and she knew that everyone around her was pretty much lying to her about it.... If you take into account the context, then imo it's really not alarming or upsetting. She thought they were finally really gelling, making plans for the next quad together - and then he goes and has an audition behind her back, which he'd done before. She may very well have fine motivation - I don't think that there are many girls out there who know that they're being dumped (for the second time) that would want to continue on, especially after they have medaled very recently in competition...

uhh said:
sisinka, I took the motivation comment to be that she wasn't motivated to skate any more with Nikita at the moment that she found out he was planning to leave. She also says "I couldn't understand why we were still going to Japan" so it wasn't just being satisfied after the Olympics, but not seeing the point of doing this competition with a partner who obviously had so little respect for her and carrying on with a partnership that was obviously going to end against her choice. I think most people would struggle for motivation in that situation. Two Olympic medals weren't enough to make him stay in the partnership, or even be honest with her about his future plans, so why would a World medal make any difference? And then later she says she hasn't met all her goals in skating, so I see it as still having motivation, just not to help Nikita to any more success But maybe you interpret it differently?

The question was made after notice that she didn’t want to skate in Japan after hearing that Nikita wants a split, that is true.
But question was: “Even possible win at World Champs was not a motivation?“
Lena’s answer was: “After two Olympic Medals, totally no.“ My interpretation was that after two Olympic Medals, no other World Medal worth the effort so much. If I would connect Nikita with her answer and losing motivation, I would expect something like: “With Nikita‘s betrayal / possible split / with that strange info, no, even win at Worlds was not a motivation any more.“

Maybe she wanted to say exactly this, but she was handling the possible split situation not for the first time, but almost every season and I never heard that she would stop competing with Nikita any time. She also mentioned that split questions at World Champs in Nice 2012 after SD, she didn’t react even that time like she would immediately run away from World Champs. So why she would do it now?
I also remember last season post World's interview where Morozov excused FD failure with comments that the couple totally lost motivation after such low marks in SD, so we can’t be suprised with the result. And the couple also refused to skate at World Team Trophy and Lena went to vacations (later suddenly an info about injury came out – that is very logical that skaters are going on vacations and spending time on the beach when some serious injury occurs), while in the same time Morozov was explaining that Lena & Nikita will not compete at World Team Trophy because that competition will solve nothing and that for them a season is over.
So all those circumstances lead me to understand the quotation in this way mentioned above. :scratch:

uhh

Medalist
And the couple also refused to skate at World Team Trophy and Lena went to vacations (later suddenly an info about injury came out – that is very logical that skaters are going on vacations and spending time on the beach when some serious injury occurs), while in the same time Morozov was explaining that Lena & Nikita will not compete at World Team Trophy because that competition will solve nothing and that for them a season is over.

I don't think they refused, wasn't it supposed to be Bobrova/Soloviev thanks to their Worlds finish, I/K were told their season was over & go to relax & prepare for next season, then B/S had injuries and M/K were more ready than I/K because they hadn't just come off Worlds. I/K also pulled out of some shows in Japan soon after so I do think there were some underlying injuries, maybe not serious ones but enough to require some rest off the ice in order to be ready for the next season.

I don't think your interpretation is right, she says they were so focused on Euros, Olympics, Worlds, they were preparing for the Championships very seriously, it was theirs to win & the loss of motivation came from discovering Nikita was not committed to their future, even after 2 gold medals.

Alba

Record Breaker
The question was made after notice that she didn’t want to skate in Japan after hearing that Nikita wants a split, that is true.
Lena’s answer was: “After two Olympic Medals, totally no.“ My interpretation was that after two Olympic Medals, no other World Medal worth the effort so much. If I would connect Nikita with her answer and losing motivation, I would expect something like: “With Nikita‘s betrayal / possible split / with that strange info, no, even win at Worlds was not a motivation any more.“

Maybe she wanted to say exactly this

She said exactly that. There is no room for interpretation here.
Her answer should be put in the context and is related to the ones she gave before that last question.

EV: But you knew it was real

About Nikita trying out with Victoria, and she replies

EI: Yes. What I didn't understand was why things had to be done so unprofessionally - setting a try out behind my back before the beginning of the championship? I don't want to use the word `betrayal' here. It's Nikita's life and his decision. But professionally - we should had won that championship. It was what we should had set our minds on - the odds were high. Throughout our career I never blamed Nikita on anything, but it was just one case where he was to blame for the failure at that championship. I still can't understand his reasons.

and again:

EI: No. During the Olympic season we were too busy and too focused so we didn't have time on any other conversation. I think it's the reason we were so ready for the Europeans and the Games and the Worlds.

So, and the Worlds.
And this is most important part to understand why she was not motivated

The news about the other partner shook me quite badly. I didn't understand why were we going to Japan. What did it matter whether we compete at the Worlds or not?

EV: You were not motivated by a possible win?
EI: After 2 Olympic medals? Not at all.

Not at all indeed. After 2 Olympic medals, why would I be motivated to win the wordls after I find out my partner is playing dirty with me, behind my back?

It's the most natural reaction, IMO, and as someone mentioned about she closes the interview by saying: I haven't met all my goals in skating.
Her motivation about the sport should not be put in question, just because she didn't feel motivated enough to dance and smile with a cheater.
Still, she nailed that program while he failed to do so and lost them the World title.

Alba

Record Breaker
This is very interesting:

Thanks to TAHbKA (post 46)and FSU: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...alapov-already-left-me-once-7-years-ago/page3

Vaytsekhovskaya was asked to have a similar interview with Nikita, and her reply was: http://www.liveinternet.ru/users/vellena/post323763392/comments#comment657108011

"Frankly, the Russian federation PR department should had conducted such an interview a while ago. With Ilinyh as well. If only to cut off all the rumours. And to keep their public image on a decent level. It was just a nice gesture from my part, hardly more - I don't have to write about figure skating from April till September. If I do write I choose the subjects which I personally find interesting. As I mentioned before, I can't figure what interest would it be asking Katsalapov a question he is avoiding: `what was it all for'. Had he been ready to give a coherent answer I would accept any reply - it's his life and his rights. Just that he is not ready to answer. He is not being secretive - he is just not ready. His possible personal relations with the new partner have no interest to me, and if all that thing was a result of someone else's wish (and I have a reason to believe it was) then even more - Katsalapov who complied holds no interest to me. I just can't see a personality, a character nor some shining future. As in: I don't believe in a shining future when there is no character and personality. Usually my intuition on those things works fine. Yes, it would be fair to listen to both sides. But just as I type an answer and think again about it: no, am not interested in the `right' thing here. I am interested in Lena's personality. In Nikita's - not at all"

Very interesting, and it seems we do have the reason of the split here. ;)

sisinka

Final Flight
She said exactly that. There is no room for interpretation here.
Her answer should be put in the context and is related to the ones she gave before that last question.

Not at all indeed. After 2 Olympic medals, why would I be motivated to win the wordls after I find out my partner is playing dirty with me, behind my back?

It's the most natural reaction, IMO, and as someone mentioned about she closes the interview by saying: I haven't met all my goals in skating.
Her motivation about the sport should not be put in question, just because she didn't feel motivated enough to dance and smile with a cheater.
Still, she nailed that program while he failed to do so and lost them the World title.

It sounds logical, Alba.
But why that mention about Olympic Medals then? She lost motivation because of Nikita and his plans, no? Why to put there Olympic Medals then? She felt bad because of Nikita’s behaviour, with or without Olympic Medals, no? Why to connect lose of motivation with any medals like she did. Or did she mean that without Olympic Medals her motivation would stay on place, so Nikita’s behaviour would not be that bad in this case? And why she never noticed lose of motivation in all previous cases when Nikita wanted to split?

But OK, if I understood it badly, only good for them (and good for me as well). I would like to see some videos from practises from both couples, it would be interesting to compare.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Interview is interesting and really glamour from both Vaitsekhovskaya and Lena. Sometimes it sounds like a half fairy-tale and a half Danielle Steel’s story, so sometimes I doubted if really everything happened this way, but looking at this interview Lena looks to be reasonable woman, I agree with many notes there. I like more parts of the interview (and hockey story of her brother was cute)…for example I like the way how she speaks about Kustarova. Many people here critised Kustarova & Alexeeva, I don’t agree with this…here you have Lena who trained already with almost all top coaches – Zueva/Sphilband, Zhulin, Morozov… and speaking about Kustarova, she puts her on the same level…or to be more precise in technique she puts her higher than Morozov. Lena noticed in interview that Kustarova helped them in one week a lot, much more than they expected. Lena also mentioned that Kustarova helped them before the Olympics…and they skated clean all element (expect Nikita’s problematic twizzles in FD) at the Olympics, while they had major errors at both Nationals and Europeans …then they came to Kustarova before Olympics and skated clean there…interesting. I also remember that Nikita (I believe it was him) noticed last season that Kustarova helped them with Polka pattern…so both I&K and Morozov think that Kustarova is a great technique coach. And finally Lena chose her to be her coach herself (with all those comparison with other top coaches). Also there were rumours that Kustarova is one of coach’s possibility for Nikita…so if somebody wants to continue with doubts about Kustarova…well, let’s take a blind stick and dog handler.

The only thing which I don’t like in interview is the same thing somebody noticed here already – that Lena was not motivated after Olympic medals…well, this is not an athlete‘s attitude and way of thinking. If an athlete wins a gold medal, there is nothing more, it is true…BUT Lena competes in Dance cathegory, she got an Olympic Bronze Medal there, which means that even with home advantage two couples were some much superior to her and Nikita that even home advantage couldn’t save this situation. There are also opinions that without home advantage there would be another Bronze Medal winner. Yes, Lena got Olympic Gold Medal, but in Teams, with nine other athletes…without Plushenko, she wouldn‘t be Gold Medalist, without Lipnitskaya, Lena wouldn‘t be Gold Medalist, without Volosozhar & Trankov and Stolbova & Klimov, Lena wouldn’t be Gold Medalist – Individual Medal and Team Medal are not equal…maybe for many journalists and fans those medals are equal, but not for athletes…the best what you can achieve is to win Gold Olympic Medal in your cathegory, not to be one of ten people and just help with something over 12% from result (I&K skated one of eight performances). From other circumstances which could help to bring motivation to Lena (if she really wants to be the best) – they lost European Title (for the second time), they lost Russian National Title (for the fourth time), they lost Grand Prix Final (for the third time), they lost Grand Prix win…she could find any of those like motivation for rehabilitation at World Champs after all those not top=Gold Medal results. If a tiredness was a result of lost motivation – many couples competed more often (B-competitions, Grand Prix Final) and they didn’t lose motivation. If you don’t have motivation, if you lose motivation so quickly, then you don’t have a Champions character, then it is really hard to rise. I am 100% sure that both Victoria and Nikita have motivation to show everybody that this split was worth the effort. Ruslan was always a leader in a couple, with Victoria they were hard workers and they always fought to the end of competition even against dislike of Tarasova and some other Federation’s members. So I don’t doubt that Ruslan’s motivation is big also. But if a couple really wants to be competive, it needs a motivation and hunger for achieving top places from Lena as well.

I think the context was she was not interested given that she now knew that Katsalapov was no longer invested in the team. Well maybe she was too emotional in this regard and maybe that is Nikita's real problem with working with her.

bramweld

Record Breaker

Maybe she wanted to say exactly this, but she was handling the possible split situation not for the first time, but almost every season and I never heard that she would stop competing with Nikita any time. She also mentioned that split questions at World Champs in Nice 2012 after SD, she didn’t react even that time like she would immediately run away from World Champs. So why she would do it now?
I also remember last season post World's interview where Morozov excused FD failure with comments that the couple totally lost motivation after such low marks in SD, so we can’t be suprised with the result. And the couple also refused to skate at World Team Trophy and Lena went to vacations (later suddenly an info about injury came out – that is very logical that skaters are going on vacations and spending time on the beach when some serious injury occurs), while in the same time Morozov was explaining that Lena & Nikita will not compete at World Team Trophy because that competition will solve nothing and that for them a season is over.
So all those circumstances lead me to understand the quotation in this way mentioned above. :scratch:

Maybe this last time was that straw that broke the camels back. She also was not well that season, although she tried to make little of it. I think she was concerned about the dislocated shoulder and maybe made too much of an effort to protect herself. I have a feeling that Nikita made plans to leave her from this season.

dom_shafan

Rinkside
I'm confused. Elena felt Nikita wasn't committed enough to the team? Can someone briefly summarize what led to their split? There's too many pages to go through... lol

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm confused. Elena felt Nikita wasn't committed enough to the team? Can someone briefly summarize what led to their split? There's too many pages to go through... lol

The short version from Elena's side is Vaytskhovskaya's interview:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...h-Katsalapov-already-left-me-once-7-years-ago

Nikita hasn't done an interview, but it seems clear he had a tryout with Sinitsina prior to Worlds, and was the one who initiated the split. And this is at least the third time he has gone partner shopping:

Once when they were younger, and Elena went to the Shpilband camp alone, this time, and a tryout with Khoklova after Novitski retired.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
The short version from Elena's side is Vaytskhovskaya's interview:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...h-Katsalapov-already-left-me-once-7-years-ago

Nikita hasn't done an interview, but it seems clear he had a tryout with Sinitsina prior to Worlds, and was the one who initiated the split. And this is at least the third time he has gone partner shopping:

Once when they were younger, and Elena went to the Shpilband camp alone, this time, and a tryout with Khoklova after Novitski retired.

I thought when they were little it was her decision or at least a mutual decision with their parents as they fought so often.

I get the sense that he is an A Type personality and she is an emotional free spirit. Personalities like that are naturally not compatible. I think he found it a chore to be always encouraging her and looking supportive and he just had enough. He was just tired. With that said how can you publicly say that without looking like a cad. So he cannot really give an interview. If it is that he really has a thing for Sinitsina, then maybe he craves the type of relationship that his friends Tatiana and Max have. Again how can he say something to the press without looking like a cad. Hence his silence is understandable. He needed someone with a similar mindset and she needed a warmer character. Looking at Vic and Rus, maybe they have each found their ideal partners.

How I wish they had never come back together. They should have trusted their instincts.

:agree: My point exactly! She knew her partnership was over...they'd already had a long and rigorous season with good results (2 Olympic medals)...why should she want to continue with a partner who was dumping her and didn't even have the decency to speak to her about it? And at the end of the day she did skate at world's with him; and he blew it.
And I think she's motivated for the next quad. As I said before, she closes out the interview speaking of it. :)

Personally I'm beginning to feel a little more confident about I/Z working out. (I would like to hear an interview from Z about his thoughts on what has transpired; how it is to train with I; and what he hopes for in the future.)
But, I'll be interested to see if S/K make it long-term....There's something about K always holding try outs with others and thinking that he can do better that does make me worry a little bit about them... I'd like them to work out, but I do wonder/worry a bit (especially because he didn't "trade up" partner-wise in pure current ability).

kittyvondutch

Rinkside
"Frankly, the Russian federation PR department should had conducted such an interview a while ago. With Ilinyh as well. If only to cut off all the rumours. And to keep their public image on a decent level. It was just a nice gesture from my part, hardly more - I don't have to write about figure skating from April till September. If I do write I choose the subjects which I personally find interesting. As I mentioned before, I can't figure what interest would it be asking Katsalapov a question he is avoiding: `what was it all for'. Had he been ready to give a coherent answer I would accept any reply - it's his life and his rights. Just that he is not ready to answer. He is not being secretive - he is just not ready. His possible personal relations with the new partner have no interest to me, and if all that thing was a result of someone else's wish (and I have a reason to believe it was) then even more - Katsalapov who complied holds no interest to me. I just can't see a personality, a character nor some shining future. As in: I don't believe in a shining future when there is no character and personality. Usually my intuition on those things works fine. Yes, it would be fair to listen to both sides. But just as I type an answer and think again about it: no, am not interested in the `right' thing here. I am interested in Lena's personality. In Nikita's - not at all"

wow she is outspoken about Nikita's lack of character. :thumbsup:

If you're wanting to compare physiques, then yes - this is where you should be doing it as I stated previously. NOT in the I/K fanfest thread.

Personally, Idc who is more toned and muscle-y.....It's not like Scott or Charlie were rippling with muscles in the way that you think is necessary. Ice dance isn't a body building competition....and as long as the males are able to do the lifts, then they're in fine shape for what their aim is. ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
wow, what a treat for our eyes! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Seriously, these guys need to boost their self-confidence. They don't need to show-off their bodies that way. Just go out and skate their best and show who will be better. :laugh: Childish boys!

kittyvondutch

Rinkside

nice to see ruslan working hard. as for you sky_fly20 you see that cross option on the top right of your screen, select that and get some fresh air :)

Status
Not open for further replies.