Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split | Page 139 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split

Status
Not open for further replies.

skateluver

Rinkside
Ah.. I miss Maxim Shabalin and Oksana. Too bad their career was hampered with his injuries. Yes he let Oksana shine, but he himself had a great presence on ice.

Alba

Record Breaker
Ah.. I miss Maxim Shabalin and Oksana. Too bad their career was hampered with his injuries. Yes he let Oksana shine, but he himself had a great presence on ice.

I agree. They both had great presence on ice. I never liked them so much as a couple though. I don't know why...:think:
It was the same with Navka. She was great, but not my cup of tea.

kauh888

Rinkside
THIS. This is what makes a great partner. Otherwise its just Averbuch and Lobacheva (sp) which IMHO grates. However I sense Marina will not put up with any show boating from Nikita, besides which it would be pointless in this scenario. He and Elena were just two tigers in a cage. He was trying not to be overshadowed by her. This became a sore point between the two not to mention their other personal problems complicating things. I am glad they went their separate ways. I hope they are both happy.

He and Victoria will have to commit to becoming a new entity which will simply take time.
Couldn't have said it better :thumbsup: :clap:

I think both couples have great potential right now perhaps in different ways. Like many others have said though, it is folly in my opinion to try and speculate which couple will come out on top right now since we don't have much true substance (aka videos, competitions, etc.) to go off of.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Couldn't have said it better :thumbsup: :clap:

I think both couples have great potential right now perhaps in different ways. Like many others have said though, it is folly in my opinion to try and speculate which couple will come out on top right now since we don't have much true substance (aka videos, competitions, etc.) to go off of.

Yeah, this is why the TAT was so upset! It takes seasons to truly build a foundation and now both pairs will have to start from scratch. So I/K's contemporaries will be building on their foundation while I/Z and S/K will have to take a few steps back before they can go forward. But if S/K have it in mind to simply blow by everybody and win gold in 2018 power to them. I would have thought a more modest approach would be best.

starlight97

Final Flight
I'm sorry if I appear unknowing now, but please forgive me, since I'm not that well informed about Dance:eek::
I would be very thankfull if someone took the time to answer this question :) :

How on earth come that
1) Nikita was the one to leave Elena and not the other way around?? 9 out of 10 times ( exeption are Euros2014) I've seen them miss out on points or a medal it was due to a mistake made by Nikita! He more often than not missed his twizzles, best example are worlds 2014. She never had any hard feelings because of that, supported him and so on ... I also think she was the one who brought Swan Lake to life, all the commentators on TV were just gushing over her expressiveness and posture and so on, not only in this programm.. Sinitsina always appeard more like a robot to me :/ So why ??

2) Why does the federation favour S/K ?? It was stupid of both of these pairs to exchange partners, but to me Ruslan was the stronger one while he was with Sinitsina... and in the beginning nobody supported the split and since they are all aware that Katsalapov and partly Sinitsina caused it.. why are they being awarded for it?
Why is Russia so in love with Nikita? Only category in which he is "Best in the world" to me are looks :laugh: ?!

So could maybe someone explain this to me :) ?

DianaSelene

Medalist
I'm sorry if I appear unknowing now, but please forgive me, since I'm not that well informed about Dance:eek::
I would be very thankfull if someone took the time to answer this question :) :

How on earth come that
1) Nikita was the one to leave Elena and not the other way around?? 9 out of 10 times ( exeption are Euros2014) I've seen them miss out on points or a medal it was due to a mistake made by Nikita! He more often than not missed his twizzles, best example are worlds 2014. She never had any hard feelings because of that, supported him and so on ... I also think she was the one who brought Swan Lake to life, all the commentators on TV were just gushing over her expressiveness and posture and so on, not only in this programm.. Sinitsina always appeard more like a robot to me :/ So why ??

2) Why does the federation favour S/K ?? It was stupid of both of these pairs to exchange partners, but to me Ruslan was the stronger one while he was with Sinitsina... and in the beginning nobody supported the split and since they are all aware that Katsalapov and partly Sinitsina caused it.. why are they being awarded for it?
Why is Russia so in love with Nikita? Only category in which he is "Best in the world" to me are looks :laugh: ?!

So could maybe someone explain this to me :) ?

I cannot give you a full answer to your question. However, I do not think that Russia is in love with Nikita. I think that Nikita is just in love with Nikita.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I cannot give you a full answer to your question. However, I do not think that Russia is in love with Nikita. I think that Nikita is just in love with Nikita.
Ouch!! Lets wheel it back a tad. He's not my favourite character but I think part of the problem are the persons around him inflating his ego, telling him mostly what he wants to hear. Also the unreasonably high expectations too soon was too much for them. IMHO.

hanca

Record Breaker

I agree. I think the Federation is trying to treat both couples equally to give them chance to develop and show who will come on the top. Unfortunately some fans see in everything mistreatment of Elena/Ruslan. For example, Sinitsina-Katsalapov decided to train with Zueva whereas Elena-Ruslan decided to keep his coach. Fans are shouting how S/K are treated better (favouritism!!!) because their coach has better name and would probably be more expensive, but no one really knows why I/Z decided to stay with Ruslan's coaches and it is very likely that it was I/Z's decision. Hopefully they know what they are doing. in my opinion their coach may actually be better technician (considering how many junior world champions she brought up from nothing). Besides, they will be number 1 priority for their coach, whereas Zueva has also the Cappelini/Lanotte, and Shibutanis and plenty of other couples...

Meoima

Match Penalty
:thumbsup: so true! I think Zueva has been doing the PR for S/K and she is good at it, but maybe in her eyes they are not the stars she has been seeking for at the moment, hence the chance of C/L. :laugh:

DianaSelene

Medalist
I agree. I think the Federation is trying to treat both couples equally to give them chance to develop and show who will come on the top. Unfortunately some fans see in everything mistreatment of Elena/Ruslan. For example, Sinitsina-Katsalapov decided to train with Zueva whereas Elena-Ruslan decided to keep his coach. Fans are shouting how S/K are treated better (favouritism!!!) because their coach has better name and would probably be more expensive, but no one really knows why I/Z decided to stay with Ruslan's coaches and it is very likely that it was I/Z's decision. Hopefully they know what they are doing. in my opinion their coach may actually be better technician (considering how many junior world champions she brought up from nothing). Besides, they will be number 1 priority for their coach, whereas Zueva has also the Cappelini/Lanotte, and Shibutanis and plenty of other couples...

I do believe that it was completely I/Z's choice to stay with Kustarova. Ruslan is probably satisfied with continuing to have her as a coach and maybe Elena wants to try having a woman coach after Zhulin and Morozov. Perhaps, she wanted to have a new experience and see if having Kustarova would give a different perspective to their skating. Also, not everyone wants to leave Russia and go to the US which is very far away. By doing so, she would miss her friends and family. Sinitsina/Katsalapov were ok with that but not everyone wants to move so far away.

hanca

Record Breaker
:thumbsup: so true! I think Zueva has been doing the PR for S/K and she is good at it, but maybe in her eyes they are not the stars she has been seeking for at the moment, hence the chance of C/L. :laugh:

We will see. She has done very well with V/M and D/W but then she also had plenty of couples who have been stagnating the last few years (Shibutanis). So having a coach with huge name does not guarantee a success. Maybe I/Z know what they are doing. Also, some skaters thrive in competitive environment such as at Zueva's school (a lot of couples but probably not everyone can get enough attention from Zueva - there is only so many hours in the day and those hours need to be split among many couples), whereas other couples thrive in environment where they are the centre of their coach's attention and the coach may spend with them 6 hours a day.

Meoima

Match Penalty
We will see. She has done very well with V/M and D/W but then she also had plenty of couples who have been stagnating the last few years (Shibutanis). So having a coach with huge name does not guarantee a success. Maybe I/Z know what they are doing. Also, some skaters thrive in competitive environment such as at Zueva's school (a lot of couples but probably not everyone can get enough attention from Zueva - there is only so many hours in the day and those hours need to be split among many couples), whereas other couples thrive in environment where they are the centre of their coach's attention and the coach may spend with them 6 hours a day.
If we only look at the record, then C/L is likely to be Zueva's number 1 for at least next season. After all they are not a newly added team. And they made big progress last season.

hanca

Record Breaker
If we only look at the record, then C/L is likely to be Zueva's number 1 for at least next season. After all they are not a newly added team. And they made big progress last season.

They are her newly added team. They were at Spilband before. But I agree that she will concentrate on C/L - to show Spilband that they are hers now.

starlight97

Final Flight
Alright so there isn't a real answer to these questions (yet) I guess :think: ?
Well I think no matter who has the better coach now or the better this and that - Will always be a shame about Ilinykh and Katsalapov to me..
I understand that they both had big egos and wanted to shine and not be overshadowed or whatever - if they had thought with their heads and not their bellies(that's a german saying :D) they could have shone and excelled together.
But let's see what happens. .. I'll be cheering for I/Z purely out of non- professional likeability (to me) :D

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope both I and K's new teams will be given the chance to develop to be the best they can be. I think they both are super beautiful people with huge potential. I am saddened they are no longer skating as a team but they ahve talent - the key is to market, bottle it and develop it. There are pros and cons to living at "home". I do think good choreographers are key to both teams - to play up and down strengths and weaknesses.

Alba

Record Breaker
They are her newly added team. They were at Spilband before. But I agree that she will concentrate on C/L - to show Spilband that they are hers now.

I think Scali is working with them mainly, but of course the politics will be handled by her. ;) I think that's the main reason they went to her, and Scali maybe.
Zueva will concentrate on S&K, IMO, because they need to establish themselves in the top 10 (if not even top 5) ASAP. The NA's couples are not waiting for them.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Alright so there isn't a real answer to these questions (yet) I guess :think: ?
Well I think no matter who has the better coach now or the better this and that - Will always be a shame about Ilinykh and Katsalapov to me..
I understand that they both had big egos and wanted to shine and not be overshadowed or whatever - if they had thought with their heads and not their bellies(that's a german saying :D) they could have shone and excelled together.
But let's see what happens. .. I'll be cheering for I/Z purely out of non- professional likeability (to me) :D

They were both talented, bright people. But it was Katsalapov who decided he wanted the split. To be frank, Nikita just wanted a partner who would defer to him, with little or no objections. That's a hard thing to demand of someone when they are just as gifted if not more so. So his new pairing works for him, he prefers to be the clearly dominant partner or the partner in total control of things. This was a team that needed a firm coach that would insist on a true partnership of equals. IMHO they should have never left Zhulin. My feeling is that until their Olympic season, the only person who blossomed with Morozov was Nikita. Cest la vie.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I think Scali is working with them mainly, but of course the politics will be handled by her. ;) I think that's the main reason they went to her, and Scali maybe.
Zueva will concentrate on S&K, IMO, because they need to establish themselves in the top 10 (if not even top 5) ASAP. The NA's couples are not waiting for them.

Given what I've seen from the Shibs, they're not going to be waiting on any of these new pairs. If their ex is any indication I think they're planning to make a statement this season.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
While I can understand that I/Z might prefer to stay in Russia as opposed to moving to another country, I would LOVE to see what someone like Krylova could do for them

Status
Not open for further replies.