Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split | Page 129 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split

Status
Not open for further replies.

humbaba

Final Flight
"But I can write pages and pages about how bland Chock actually is." :rolleye:

Well if Chock has inspired such a strong reaction in you that you could "write pages and pages" then she can't be too awfully bland. In fact, she seems to have struck a nerve.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Madison Chock is the furthest thing from a bland "Yankee polka kind of girl.":rolleye:

If you like, Bates can be bland. Chock has been dramatic, since she was a preteen. If anything,her emotional presence is too large for the arena, like Krylova's was in the day.

elif

Medalist
Chock: dramatic, emotional:eek:. When do you see this? Which program, which moment in the program? :eek:,

By the way humbaba Chock killed my cat as child, humiliated me in high school, stealed my boyfriend same time.... :laugh: This is why I'm saying she is ''too bland'' :laugh:
Actually I'm glad there is still peoples in the world who believe Chock and Bates can skate paso doble like other senior teams. I like peoples who are very optimistic.:laugh:

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I tentatively agree with elif - not that Chock is bland, but for me she's been quite forgettable so far. I've only seen her in the last two seasons, and can only remember fragments of the Showbusiness SD (mostly her outfit though, to be frank), and that she danced in some sort of golden or spotted dress the season prior. Or maybe that was Madison Hubbell. I remember neither's programmes. :confused2:
Back on topic, I'm feeling the same way about Sinitsina so far. Ilinykh always stood out for me though, and I can recall much more from her programmes.
Eh well, maybe this season will make me remember all four. :]

tulosai

Record Breaker
To me, it is night and day watching Chock (and Bates actually) live vs. on the computer screen. I've said this before, probably in the exact same words, but live they literally explode across the ice. Everything they do looks larger than life yet without having a fake or exaggerated quality. I was pretty much a hater of theirs until I saw them live and now I'm bordering on an uber.

Anastasi14

On the Ice
I think pasodoble can be a difficult dance for the Russian team. SK, as for me, look too romantic and lack a bit of passion and flame. IZ - knowing how Elena likes acting and drama + Kustarova, I'm worry we can see another Russian overdrama, where Elena will try to be a diva too much and Ruslan probably is not mature enough to balance the dance. BS - really don't know. They have passion, you can see from that photo, but they need to bring it into the ice. They can do great, but they also can do another "bird programm".

blancanieves

On the Ice
If you like, Bates can be bland. Chock has been dramatic, since she was a preteen. If anything,her emotional presence is too large for the arena, like Krylova's was in the day.

I think pasodoble can be a difficult dance for the Russian team. SK, as for me, look too romantic and lack a bit of passion and flame. IZ - knowing how Elena likes acting and drama + Kustarova, I'm worry we can see another Russian overdrama, where Elena will try to be a diva too much and Ruslan probably is not mature enough to balance the dance. BS - really don't know. They have passion, you can see from that photo, but they need to bring it into the ice. They can do great, but they also can do another "bird programm".

These two comments are interesting. I feel I can see a clear difference between histrionics (empty gesturing) and soulfulness (expression that resonates with honesty). But would my perception agree with someone else's? Like in music, say you have Ethel Merman and Aretha Franklin. Both have the voice to be singers, but one is about belting it out, and the other about stirring your emotions.

And then, is having a "diva/support role" dynamic more or less desirable than one where there is a "dialogue" between two balancing strengths (dancers)? For me, dance performance is not just about spectacle. Particularly in partner dancing/skating, what is impressive and moving is when "two become one."

I feel like it's too early to really say what types of programs or types of dance will be better for which team... We haven't seen them skate yet. (I don't count that exhibition piece S/K did....imo, exhibitions don't always give an accurate picture of a team or individual's skating.)

Personally, I'm sort of excited to see Paso this season bc I think it could render some neat (& some ay yi yi) SDs that will have us all abuzz! :)

For now, I'll refrain from judging either team's skating skills or program suitability to a later date. Tbh, chemistry and trust matter on the ice; and their chemistry and trust has the potential to be totally different with their new partners.

Alba

Record Breaker
There is something I don't understand. Are they all going to do paso doble or some can choose Flamenco? Looks like I&Z are doing a Flamenco right?

Anastasi14

On the Ice
There is something I don't understand. Are they all going to do paso doble or some can choose Flamenco? Looks like I&Z are doing a Flamenco right?

According to the Communication No. 1857 :
Senior

Spanish Dance Rhythms

The Pattern Dance Element and the Partial Step Sequence must be skated on the same piece of
music. The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Element and the Partial Step
Sequence must be constant and in accordance with the required Tempo of the Pattern Dance
Paso Doble, i.e. 56 measures of two beats or 112 beats per minute, plus or minus 2 beats per
minute.

Spanish Dance Rhythms are described in the Additions to the ISU Ice Dance Music Rhythms
Booklet 1995 (http://www.usfsa.org/content/Ice Dance Rhythms - Spanish.pdf)

So, the Pattern dance is paso doble and it can be mixed with Jota, Fandango, Flamenco, Bolero, Sevillanas. If i understand correctly, if no please correct me.

Alba

Record Breaker
So, the Pattern dance is paso doble and it can be mixed with Jota, Fandango, Flamenco, Bolero, Sevillanas. If i understand correctly, if no please correct me.

I think you're right. Ok so the pattern dance is paso doble, but I hope that the rest is a mixed with Flamenco or Sevillanas for I&Z because paso doble can be a problem for the reasons you mentioned.
In paso doble is the man who should be leading and I hope they will listen Najarro.

Anastasi14

On the Ice
Ok so the pattern dance is paso doble, but I hope that the rest is a mixed with Flamenco or Sevillanas for I&Z because paso doble can be a problem for the reasons you mentioned.
In paso doble is the man who should be leading and I hope they will listen Najarro.
I don't think that Flamenco will be easier. Spanish rhythms are a tricky thing, it's bright and the viewers likes it, but all the disadvantages of the dancers become visible. It's also easy to turn it into the theatre of the over drama, someone even managed to turn it into the gipsy dance (i really dont know how they do it :laugh:). The choreographer and a coach and the pair must have a good sense of style not to overdo.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I've yet to see a skater who overacts the Spanish and Latin-American dances as much as dancers do in championships. ;)
I have to say, as excited as I am about where I/Z take the SD, the SD I'm *really* looking forward to is Hurtado/Diaz. That should be a treat. :love:

Alba

Record Breaker
I don't think that Flamenco will be easier. Spanish rhythms are a tricky thing, it's bright and the viewers likes it, but all the disadvantages of the dancers become visible. It's also easy to turn it into the theatre of the over drama, some pairs even managed to turn it into the gipsy dance (i really dont know how they do it :laugh:). The choreographer and a coach and the pair must have a good sense of style not to overdo.

That's very true. It's tricky because paso it's one of the most dramatic of all the Latin dances and if you overdo it there is a risk to become ridiculous. I actually never liked this dance.

Alba

Record Breaker
I've yet to see a skater who overacts the Spanish and Latin-American dances as much as dancers do in championships. ;)

OMG so true. :laugh: I used to watch a lot ballroom championships, maybe that's why I don't like paso doble.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think so yes, as a pattern dance.

This is right, at least as I understand it. Some of the routines will inevitably probably look more like other latin dances than like paso, whether intentionally or not, but at least in theory, my understanding is that the pattern part of the dance should be paso themed. Doris, are we right???

uhh

Medalist
This is right, at least as I understand it. Some of the routines will inevitably probably look more like other latin dances than like paso, whether intentionally or not, but at least in theory, my understanding is that the pattern part of the dance should be paso themed. Doris, are we right???

It's slightly different from previous short dances - they have to do the paso pattern, then a variation of the pattern, with 3 defined key points but freedom to choreograph something different between those key points. These two patterns must be integrated into the whole dance, which can either all be a paso doble, or can use the Spanish dances mentioned earlier in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.