Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split | Page 128 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split

Status
Not open for further replies.

blancanieves

On the Ice
If he is the greatest ice dancer that we have now, why aren't he and Lena the current World Champions? This is the biggest joke ever, unless he purposely thwarted twizzles.

Marina is so desperate to be on top of the podium this year you can smell it. So W/P, B/S and C/L are all just going to roll over and play dead along with I/Z? Not to mention H/B, H/D, S/S, C/B and G/P? Please people I am begging you she HAS got to eat crow and lots of it this year, PLEASE!!

Lol. I can't wait for this season to get started.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I can't wait for this quad!! It hasn't even started and it's already shaking up to be exciting!!! :biggrin: Can the season just begin already?

Slow and steady with a cool head, case in point C/L and W/P. I/Z need to continue with the current plans; talk less and SKATE MUCH MUCH more. As for Zueva promoting the Shibs, yes she did when they were younger. She said they used their blades like hands their control was so good as is evident from their earlier work. Ice Dance is a brutal sport.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Did Zueva ever supported the Shibs in press like she is supporting S/K?? With all the adjective she has been using for them!
I kinda feel sorry for the Shibs. They could have changed coaches, I feel like Marina is going to be too much into proving S/K better than I/Z to focus much on anyone else

The Shibs and the Reeds are in a tough place concerning this whole S/K deal. Marina is a good coach - G/G, D/W, V/M, B/A... The list goes on. But the latter three all benefitted from having roots with Igor first. But results don't lie - Marina produces star teams, and holds a lot of influence with the US and Russian and some but not as much (considering the whole 'Marina wasn't fully in our corner' thing) in the Canadian fed...

I just worry how she'll be able to do two non-romantic paso doble sequences, one with a less than stellar team who switched straight to seniors and started to suck (cough Reeds cough). I feel like she hasn't known what to do with the Shibs since the 2011 season.

The only other option for the Shibs should they want to be able to commute to UofM is Igor, who I also think would be a better, not best, choice for the them. With the Shibs, there's other factors playing in - they're in college and their family is from Ann Arbor, so they want to stay close. But the Reeds could go anywhere, and Marina's going to be a terrible fit unless they want to go the incest-y way (yuck).

Meoima

Match Penalty
Personally I don't think Marina is a suitable coach for skaters who are building their skills from the scratches. Basic skills are not learn in just one summer.

Not to mention D/W and V/M all had roots from Igor.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The Shibs don't need our pity. Seriously. They are intelligent and articulate folks who have their own thing going. And at this point, the Shibs still have a world medal and S/K and I/Z don't. They certainly have built a lovely brand via social media that will help them long after they skating careers are complete.

As to why Marina isn't promoting the Shibs as much as S/K it makes perfect sense. The Shibs have a solid reputation in the U.S. already. They are already well-regarded by the fed. I mean you have folks like TSL accusing the Shibs of using politics to get their results and now I'm hearing that they're not being politicked enough. Which is it?

Eh, oh well -- we'll see what happens in a few months. I wasn't overly impressed with S/K in that gala video but then again it's just a gala video, so not reading too much into it.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
The Shibs don't need our pity. Seriously. They are intelligent and articulate folks who have their own thing going. And at this point, the Shibs still have a world medal and S/K and I/Z don't. They certainly have built a lovely brand via social media that will help them long after they skating careers are complete.

As to why Marina isn't promoting the Shibs as much as S/K it makes perfect sense. The Shibs have a solid reputation in the U.S. already. They are already well-regarded by the fed. I mean you have folks like TSL accusing the Shibs of using politics to get their results and now I'm hearing that they're not being politicked enough. Which is it?

Eh, oh well -- we'll see what happens in a few months. I wasn't overly impressed with I/Z in that gala video but then again it's just a gala video, so not reading too much into it.

That was S/K. They will be fine with more time, their basic skating skills (blade to ice, knee bend etc) are more incongruous in comparison to that between I/Z as mentioned by experts in the field. However they do have a lovely lyrical, soft style.

As for the Shibs I think you're right. I believe they know what it would take to skate at the level they did in their first season; so its up to them really. Life is good.

kauh888

Rinkside
The only other option for the Shibs should they want to be able to commute to UofM is Igor, who I also think would be a better, not best, choice for the them. With the Shibs, there's other factors playing in - they're in college and their family is from Ann Arbor, so they want to stay close.
But Bates/Chock are already coached by Igor though, and they are better than the Shibs ranking wise. With D/W gone, C/B and S/S will be contending for US national championship this year.

Macassar88

Medalist
The Shibs and the Reeds are in a tough place concerning this whole S/K deal. Marina is a good coach - G/G, D/W, V/M, B/A... The list goes on. But the latter three all benefitted from having roots with Igor first. But results don't lie - Marina produces star teams, and holds a lot of influence with the US and Russian and some but not as much (considering the whole 'Marina wasn't fully in our corner' thing) in the Canadian fed...
I think that the Shibs and Reeds could go to Platov or Carol Lane (For the Christopher Dean choreo - although I'm not sure whether he choreographs for all his students)
But Platov has a great record with the Kerrs

Also remember that Marina didn't raise G and G - that was mainly Stanislas Zhuk (who also got majorly screwed over by Marina Zueva - history repeats itself)

DianaSelene

Medalist
I think that the Shibs and Reeds could go to Platov or Carol Lane (For the Christopher Dean choreo - although I'm not sure whether he choreographs for all his students)
But Platov has a great record with the Kerrs

Also remember that Marina didn't raise G and G - that was mainly Stanislas Zhuk (who also got majorly screwed over by Marina Zueva - history repeats itself)

Technically, I would not even call Zoueva G/G's coach. They already had all they needed in terms of technique -- she just did programs. So I do not think it is fair when people list them as her students.

And don't get me started on the Zhuk case -- her lies were just gross.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Shibs and the Reeds are in a tough place concerning this whole S/K deal. Marina is a good coach - G/G, D/W, V/M, B/A... The list goes on. But the latter three all benefitted from having roots with Igor first. ...

Personally I don't think Marina is a suitable coach for skaters who are building their skills from the scratches. Basic skills are not learn in just one summer.

Not to mention D/W and V/M all had roots from Igor.

Agree with Mrs. P.
Plus the Shibutanis also had the benefit of training under Shpilband from 2006 until he left Canton.

Matt K

On the Ice

I just worry how she'll be able to do two non-romantic paso doble sequences, one with a less than stellar team who switched straight to seniors and started to suck (cough Reeds cough). I feel like she hasn't known what to do with the Shibs since the 2011 season.

The only other option for the Shibs should they want to be able to commute to UofM is Igor, who I also think would be a better, not best, choice for the them. With the Shibs, there's other factors playing in - they're in college and their family is from Ann Arbor, so they want to stay close. But the Reeds could go anywhere, and Marina's going to be a terrible fit unless they want to go the incest-y way (yuck).

Of those teams, only G/G and V/M had great basic skating and skating/ice dancing skills, so I'll speak my opinion on those two:
Marina being a good coach is questionable and IMO, has yet to be proven, given all her top "students" learned their skills from someone else. Just read Gordeeva's book. G/G learned everything from Zhuk until she had him kicked out and took them from him. She had Igor kicked out of Canton, leaving her with V/M. And this is not her fault, but V/M learned their great basic skating and ice dancing skills from their long time coach in Canada who coached them till they were 14 I think. In fact, the first encounter V/M had with Marina was when they asked her to CHOREOGRAPH a junior program for them, not coach.

Now with regards to B/A & D/W, who are nowhere as talented in their skillset as V/M and G/G, Marina did a good job with packaging them. So I guess Marina has some value in that sense.

There have been programs done by siblings and non-siblings over the past decade and before that have been soft/emotional without being romantic. Kerrs, Faiella/Scali (they were not siblings and they were definitely not "sexy"), and various others managed to create great programs without being "incest-y". I think Shibs need a dance teacher, a new ice dance coach but that's just me.

Technically, I would not even call Zoueva G/G's coach. They already had all they needed in terms of technique -- she just did programs. So I do not think it is fair when people list them as her students.

Exactly.

elif

Medalist
I very very liked Averbukh's Flamenco OD from 2002. Antonio Najarro is very good choice too but....:scowl:

Najarro worked with Pechalat/Bourzat (their wikipedia article), Weaver/Poje (youtube information) and Anissina/Peizerat (just I remember but I could be wrong) I liked feel/atmosphere of the his dances very much. Please correct me If those dances not done by him.:)

Pechalat/Bourzat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZPRencOHCw
Aniisina/Peizerat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTyrTIopJMw
Weaver/Poje
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV79oqHbX5Q

96skiluvr

On the Ice

What do you mean, her lies about Zhuk? I thought all the stuff Gordeeva says in the book is true?

Alba

Record Breaker

I think people were referring to international judges when speaking about politics in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.