Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Wow, if they end up with Zoueva... the Shibs need to leave.

I've always been skeptical of their ability to rise to the top (limitations in programs, not skills), but it's clear that the coach isn't putting all her eggs in their basket.

I like Zueva, but her focus has been D/W and V/M for years. The Shibs need someone who can devote a lot of time to them, because they're in a weak field, if I/K is truly breaking up. P/B retiring, unknown front on D/W and V/M...

I think I'd like to see them with Kori Ade.

But they probably won't leave Canton because they seem to love being University of Michigan students. And I can't blame them. The campus is beautiful, and it's hard to get into in the first place. Their family lives in Ann Arbor too. That would give them a push to stay.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
The plot thickens:

Morozov's interview to IZVESTIA:

http://izvestia.ru/news/568389#ixzz2xTCESFpg

I guess he had the talk with Shekhovtsova and Pisseev?

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's true, it's true.

I wish I knew what I/K are thinking right now though.

Haha... Piseev said quadruple 'Salto' instead of quadruple 'Salchow' when talked about Kovtun's first jump in FS. :laugh: I wonder if it's his mistake or journalist is stupid?

anyanka

Record Breaker
I like Zueva, but her focus has been D/W and V/M for years. The Shibs need someone who can devote a lot of time to them, because they're in a weak field, if I/K is truly breaking up. P/B retiring, unknown front on D/W and V/M...

I think I'd like to see them with Kori Ade.

But they probably won't leave Canton because they seem to love being University of Michigan students. And I can't blame them. The campus is beautiful, and it's hard to get into in the first place. Their family lives in Ann Arbor too. That would give them a push to stay.

I did wonder about why most of the top dance teams / coaches were training in Detroit area, but then I forget that Ann Arbor is a great college town and the dancers are university-age. U of Michigan is a great school and has wonderful programs for just about everything. That, and likely easier to get rink time?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG!!! After reading your comment, I just re-read my comment and realised that it could be interpreted like I mean that Julia was a more suitable age for MOROZOV!!! :eek:

Ewwww. Yuck. Why did you put that thought in my head?! :bang:

I meant Julia was a more suitable age for Elena, of course!!!

The age difference with Julia is only 4 years, whereas with Morozov it's 18 years. And 4 years is totally appropriate. In fact, the normal age difference in a Dance team is something like that.

CaroLiza_fan
Well I hadn't gone there but eww!! Why did YOU put that thought in MY head:slink:[:bang:

I follow Elena and Yulia on Instagram and saw a bunch of good photos from the Gala banquet. I think they hung out most all night and I saw some photos from other days where they were chumming it up!

There is a super cute one of Yulia wearing Caro's hat and making a pouty face with Caro smiling. I can't lift it from Yulia's page.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
fleeting... you hit on exactly what I was trying to convey.

I think the Shibs have played second-fiddle (third-fiddle?) for a long time... with the expected (in my mind, anyway) retirements of D/W & V/M, the focus in the Z Camp would shift to them. Finally.

If I/K end up with Z, the Shibs are not a whole lot better off than they've been. To be honest, I think they should consider Platov. He's done wonders with the Brits; he could make the Shibs serious podium contenders again.

Alba

Record Breaker
Quiqie at FSUniverse translated the article, I think:

She also says that this season situation had changed, and the skaters finally understood the concept of team work and started training properly. Says that she doesn't understand why Morozov would break them (hinting about personal motives).

What a pig.

sisinka

Final Flight
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?91935-Ilinykh-and-Katsalapov-Swan-Song
there is the translation of Vaitsekhovskaya’s interview, but it is not always like she says…

"The fact that the coach of the Olympic bronze medalists Nikolai Morozov arranged a try-out for Katsalapov with the potential partner before the Worlds, that she herself, contrary to the original plans, is not going to post- season tour through the country, but immediately starts training, and that the newly formed duo plans to train in the U.S., where the coach is planning to move after the season has finished. Anyway, when I casually asked the famous, now American, coach, Marina Zueva what she thinks of the rumor, Marina repeated in surprise: "Why the rumor? Morozov himself has said that it’s a done deal."

http://itar-tass.com/sport/1084552
Nikita’s interview after gala…
“We didn’t discuss future plans yet, I want to take a rest, so I will ask fot giving me at least five days of holidays.“

http://itar-tass.com/sport/1082977
S&Z’s interview after FD…
Victoria says: “We don’t know anything about the split/new couple. We were getting ready for World Champs and didn’t know about this thing.“

http://itar-tass.com/sport/1083194
Morozov’s interview after the competiton…answer question about the show and taking the rest for his couple: “We didn’t talk about it yet. We will discuss it after World Champs.“

But Nelli Zhiganshina, Ruslan’s sister told that Ruslan knew about that info.

Everybody has his own version…

hyperinflation

Match Penalty

considering igor and mr unibrow are like a half hour drive away in detroit, if they wanted to leave but still stay umich students, they could

Zoueva praises I/K, saying that they are the most likely leaders of the next quad, as a team (sounds like she would like them to herself).

what is wrong with marina lol, the shibs need to get the hell out of dodge if this is the kind of thing their coach is saying

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I did wonder about why most of the top dance teams / coaches were training in Detroit area, but then I forget that Ann Arbor is a great college town and the dancers are university-age. U of Michigan is a great school and has wonderful programs for just about everything. That, and likely easier to get rink time?

Probably. UofM had been lowkey pushing D/W for years, and loves their Olympic student athletes. I wouldn't be surprised if they had offered them scholarships with ice time included.
I think Tessa's the only member of Team Canton who didn't go to UofM - I recall even seeing Scott in some Wolverines gear at one point.

Alba

Record Breaker
This is the full article, posted on FSU : http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?91935-Ilinykh-and-Katsalapov-Swan-Song

Ilinykh and Katsalapov: Swan Song?
http://winter.sport-express.ru/figur...reviews/42838/

The scenario of the ice dance finals on Saturday was truly unprecedented: the gap between the winners, Anna Cappellini / Luca Lanotte, and the French team, Nathalie Pechalat / Fabien Bourzat, that were the third, was only 0.06, and the Canadians Kaitlyn Weaver / Andre Poje managed to wedge into this gap.

For the fans of Russian ice dance, world championship from the very beginning has been extremely controversial and largely tarnished. It was not just because Dmitry Solovyov got injured and had to withdraw on the first day of the ice dance competition. Just before the start of the competition, ITAR-TASS published information that the championship was going to be the last in the career of Ilinykh and Katsalapov. And that Nikita starts to skate with a new partner - Victoria Sinitsina immediately after the competition.

Understandable, that many people in Saitama immediately began to discuss the shocking news .

Most balanced position was that of the President of the Russian Federation of figure skating, the Olympic champion Alexander Gorshkov, who said that no official inquiries concerning possible coaching changes has been filed from any of the participants. And therefore he sees no matter to discuss.

Formally, the topic has been closed. Informally, more and more new details continued to emerge. The fact that the coach of the Olympic bronze medalists Nikolai Morozov arranged a try-out for Katsalapov with the potential partner before the Worlds, that she herself, contrary to the original plans, is not going to post- season tour through the country, but immediately starts training, and that the newly formed duo plans to train in the U.S., where the coach is planning to move after the season has finished. Anyway, when I casually asked the famous, now American, coach, Marina Zueva what she thinks of the rumor, Marina repeated in surprise: "Why the rumor? Morozov himself has said that it’s a done deal."

The coaches of Sinitsina and Ruslan Zhiganshin also knew, as confirmed by Svetlana Alekseeva, making it clear that they were upset with the prospect of losing another strong pair .

Prerequisites to the split of Ilinykh/Katsalapov has been long standing, but they appeared at the time when the situation was rocky. Lena was acting up, feeling her special position in the group, disregarded the regimen, didn’t train enough. Nikita was losing his temper and threw tantrums. The coach had no influence on the situation. People surrounding the team (and especially the press) were blaming all the participants, and the results left much to be desired.

But this season, things have changed most dramatically. In the national team there was not a single person who would not admit that the skaters, as they say, "dig the earth" trying to make up for the time that had been lost for various reasons.

Team Olympic gold and individual bronze became a logic consequence of this work.

What could happen in a little over three weeks after the Games for the coach to want to break the world's potentially strongest team?

Could the athletes ask for that themselves? Theoretically, yes. But why? Neither Lena nor Nikita are planning to finish their careers, moreover, in this season, they have said for many times, both together and separately, that they finally understood what true partner work is, and began to find a real pleasure in training. The professionals, involved in the preparation of the Olympic team, brought them on a level that allows Ilinykh/Katsalapov do anything - a couple has really grown into their own.

The World championship can actually serve as an evidence: if not for the ridiculous mistake of the partner in the short program that lost them at least six points, constituting the base value of the lost element, the skaters would become world champions, and with more than a solid margin. But even without a medal, the best result in the free dance with four 10s for the program components speaks for itself.

Let's say I'm wrong, and Lena and Nikita got tired of each other and do not want to skate together for any love or money. In this case, what does a smart coach do? At least, takes a break, realizing that the Olympic season is difficult even for more mature people, that they need to cool down, relax, and only then make a decision. But this is true only if the coach wants to save the team.

Now (especially considering that the coach wants to leave Russia as soon as possible) the situation more and more reminds the classical: «If I can’t have you, nobody will! "

I can’t believe that Morozov does not realize that it will take two to three years, and maybe even more, for the new team to became successful: Nikolai is too good a coach for that.

Discussing the situation with the famous ice dancer in the past, and now a coach, Rostislav Sinitsyn, I heard :

- In principle, there is nothing extraordinary to break one or another couple. The famous Courtney Jones in his time changed partners almost every year, and it has not stopped him from becoming world champion twice with two of them. However, it was more than fifty years ago. Now everything is much more complicated. If we were talking about my athletes, I would do everything possible to save the partnership. When there is some kind of exchange, it immediately raises the question of how the new couple will look, choose what style, whether they fit with each other. It becomes clear after about six months of working together. But even then you cannot always predict what will be the result.

-Of course, the years skated together are of tremendous importance. This is primarily the ability to adjust to the partner in any situation, including contingency. But the feeling is very fragile. My athletes (Nelly Zhiganshina / Alexander Gazi) lost it for some reason at this event, even though they have been skating together for nine years.

-Another question is if the relationship between the partners is beyond saving. I always tell parents who bring their children to me, from the very beginning, "You should understand that ice dance is like family life, only without the sex." Each partner should be able to make a step forward, or, on the contrary, in some situations to step aside. If people are not capable of that, working becomes very hard - summed up Sinitsyn.

I had another conversation on the same topic with Marina Zueva. In the absence of Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir and Meryl Davis / Charlie White, with whom she worked for the last two Olympic cycles, the coach had the opportunity for the first time in many years to see the practices and performances of all the rivals of her athletes. She said this about Ilinykh/Katsalapov:

- Lena and Nikita left ​​the strongest impression. I would even say they were born to skate together. They have everything in common - speed, stroking, the emotions that arise from each common movement. Put any of them with another partner - it will be not the same. Note that I am not talking about Lena’s talent or Nikita’s talent. This is primarily the talent to be a couple. And it is a great luck that the skaters have coincided in time, and the team formed.

-Another thing that is worth noticing: it is for the first time in my memory that all three winners in the ice dance fit into such a minimal gap - 0.06 - continued Zueva. - You can talk about the increased competition, I will say that there is no leader currently in the ice dance. Ilinykh and Katsalapov really stand out from the row. They are brighter, more powerful, make you look at them with a sinking heart. But at the same time they aren’t leaders either. In order to be a leader, you need to skate clean without making big mistakes. And for that, you need to work and work hard. That bronze medal that they won in Sochi showed that they are moving in the right direction. And that [the judges] are ready to give them highest marks. Plus - an Olympic medal always brings confidence. Such things are not to be thrown around, I think.

I agree with her and think this is personal. The only question I have is if this is the case why Nikita would listen to Morozov instead of asking the FED to find another coach, which would be more easy and reasonable thing to do?

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
According to Scott's bio, he did some on line high school courses. AMDEC and attended Medway High. No mention of college. He may be a UMich sports fan, though. You do not have to attend to cheer for the team.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Moir

Tessa went to, and may still be attending, a college in Ontario.

Ah, that's it! Pretty sure there's pictures of him and Charlie in some Michigan gear somewhere. I totally misinterpreted it though, thanks for correcting me!

Status
Not open for further replies.