Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElenaNikitaFan

Rinkside
Russian age of consent has changed over the years- it was 14 for a time (from 1998 to 2003) but then raised again to 16 years.

Unless someone has information that the law has changed since February of 2012 (which is possible but if it has I don't know about it) the age of consent is 16 there.

That said, she is 19 now so EVEN IF it changed to 18 in 2013 (the soonest it could realistically have been updated) she and Mozorov still would not have done anything illegal. On January 1, 2013, she was in fact 18. In fact, she was 18 in April of 2012.

Even if Russian age of consent is 16, you are still underage at 16 as the age of majority is 18!
They should put a limitation to the age of the partner too if the person is 16.
Didn't they start dating in 2011 when she was 17?

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Even if Russian age of consent is 16, you are still underage at 16 as the age of majority is 18!

My cousin (18 yo) married on 15 yo girl. It's legal here, they only need her parents agreement.

tulosai

Record Breaker

Age of majority is not the same as age of consent. Where I grew up in Illinois, USA age of consent was/is 16 (like Russia), age of majority (meaning can vote/get married) is 18, and age of being able to drink is (IMO ridiculously) 21. These things (majority and sexual consent) are unrelated to each other in MANY places. Off the top of my head, I know they are in many US states, England, Spain, Russia. I am positive that were I to google it I could find others. Whether they should be related is a theoretical question for another place and time. However, the fact is that most countries recognize the reality, which is that most people don't wait until they are 18 to have sex or make sexual decisions, and it is not realistic to think you can make them.

This is going to be my last post on this, but my main point, throughout, is quite simply that under Russian law only, what has happened between Elena and Moorov is not illegal. The only reason I have been on about this is that several people kept saying she was underage when this happened and that it was therefore not legal. This just isn't true, end of story. As this entire thread proves, there is plenty to say here that is negative without pretending something that is not true.

Matt K

On the Ice
Aside from the 35+ pages of yucky personal gossip posted here that may not even be true at all (not surprising considering it is Goldenskate), any other new information on this partnership?

I don't think they'll split and this "split" just some false gossip spread around to create some excitement in time for Worlds.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Aside from the 35+ pages of yucky personal gossip posted here that may not even be true at all (not surprising considering it is Goldenskate), any other new information on this partnership?

I don't think they'll split and this "split" just some false gossip spread around to create some excitement in time for Worlds.

No news.
And for me 'no news' is good news in this case.

Edit: last word we had from Morozov after Worlds. He said they're going to rest, and then will start training for the next season. I think we can believe him at this point.

Matt K

On the Ice
No news.
Yes. No news is good news.

Edit: last word we had from Morozov after Worlds. He said they're going to rest, and then will start training for the next season. I think we can believe him at this point.

Oh look. Some actual news in this thread. Not assumptions about sleeping arrangements and other yucky personal stuff. Thank you. So I/K are still together and are not splitting. Good news.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ah, I see we are now onto a topic that really winds me up: the different ages that you can do different things.

So, can I just add a couple of things to what tulosai has already explained (and very well explained it was too!)

As this thread has shown, there is far too much confusion with different countries having different ages for doing different things.

Like, if you are in your late teens and you are travelling somewhere, it must be a nightmare knowing what you are allowed to do where.

When I was at Uni, we had a couple of American exchange students over (one was from Virginia, and I can’t remember where the other was from). And, let’s just say they made the most of being old enough to do more things than they would be allowed to do back home…

For me, it would be a lot simpler if everywhere in the world had the same age for doing everything. And for me, the sensible age that that should be is 18.

But it is not just between countries – there are variations within countries as well. Take the UK, where I live.

Play National Lottery: 16
Drink (Scotland): 16
Buy Knives (Scotland): 16
Vote (Scotland): 16
Sex (England, Scotland, Wales): 16
Drive: 17
Sex (Northern Ireland): 17
Legally an Adult: 18
Drink (England, Wales, Northern Ireland): 18
Buy Knives (England, Wales, Northern Ireland): 18
Vote (England, Wales, Northern Ireland): 18

The reason for the variations in age is because Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have devolved parliaments/assemblies which can make their own decisions (curiously, England doesn't have any devolved institutions). And the politicians in these institutions have their own agendas.

Wales has always been very close to England (they were unified in 1535), and has tended to keep things the same as they are in England.

In Scotland, the age for doing things tends to be at the lower end of the scale. This is only a recent trend, and it is largely because a lot of Scottish politicians are pro-independence. These politicians are trying to appeal directly to their younger constituents, so that they will vote for independence in the upcoming referendum.

In Northern Ireland, the age of doing things tends to be at the higher end of the scale. This is because we have tribal politics along religious lines. And the politicians here tend to be ultra-conservative as well as religious.

And as for the age for playing the National Lottery being so low, that is because 12% of the money from ticket sales goes directly to the government. And hence they want as many people playing as possible, so that they get as in as much money as possible!

I am not very well versed in international laws, but from what I gather, there is even more variation in America – different laws in different states. As for Russia, I have no idea how much power the individual Republics actually have when it comes to making laws!

So, when we are discussing issues like this, it is important to remember that because of cultural differences and political agendas, laws are hardly ever the same in different countries… or even within the same country.

So, we should not be judging Ilinykh and Morozov with our own customs and laws in mind, as local customs and laws are probably very different.

But I still think Elena should have more sense than to get involved with somebody with Morozov's reputation! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

sisinka

Medalist
I don't want IK to split, what I want is them kicking Morozov out immidiately, his choreography is so lame and boring and makes no sense whatsoever (as sisinka already pointed out). I think sisinka doesn't hate IK, haters are someone who constantly say bad things (without being able to prove them), and wish they would quit or stop being together (again like the attitude of so many of you guys here toward other couples). No, sisinka only said that the choreography is not right, they need to improve at this or that. And she also said that they should not split - if they don't want that themselves. That I&K are sexy, beautiful, have good basic... only need more work and everything will be fine. How's that a hater?

I wouldn't tell it better. Thanks. :thumbsup:

sisinka

Medalist
TheGothicEme said:
Very funny, Zhulin also has the very same reputation, his 1st wife is his partner, his 2nd & 3rd are his students also. so sending anyone to Zhulin is a crime too? No, the RusFed thought that Morozov could help IK to reach the goal they want, that's why they called Morozov back to Russia to take IK, which part could the RusFed interfere in their personal lives? None! Funnier, they almost always trained in the US, If the whole relationship fails, this is their fault, why blame others for what they've done wrong?

I agree that the Fed cannot interfere in the personal lives of coaches or students. HOWEVER, she was underage and you would think that the Fed could at least have pulled Morozov aside and given him some sort of warning regarding his conduct. Say what you will about Zhulin, but at least his students weren't underage (to my knowledge).

neraiselle said:
But Sisinka and other posters here are most baffled by the fact that Lena was underage when this started? Zhulin also immediately popped into my mind but I didn't think it involved minor... (correctly me if I'm wrong, I might have some holes in my memory in this). Anyway, I am not pleased about this I/K & Morozombie drama but since she is now an adult, it is up to her to decide and any consequence of this should also be borne by her.

As to Vasiliev (who was mentioned before), Zhulin, Morozov and many others – in Soviet Union a marriages between partners were supported a lot (also they almost didn’t see anybody else but his/her partner all days long), so many couples got married – from Federation it was more easy to keep a couple together (no splitting between married once), they also could share one room – which was less expensive – so in the eyes of Federation it was very practical.

As I know Zhulin married Navka in 2000, the same year daughter Sasha (Alexandra) was born, they divorced in 2010, while last years were not ideal. Navka had a public affair with one of actors who she skated with Marat Basharov (around 2006/07), around divorcing time she started dating Alex Vorobiev, a Russian actor/singer, Zhulin was connected with Natalia Mikhailova (it was around 2007/08 season, she was 21 years old), this relationship was oficially announced in 2010 after divorce, they live together until today (I am not sure if they are married or not, probably not). In 2013 Natalia gave birth of daughter Ekaterina.

Morozov is connected with almost all skaters, especially ice dancers, but almost no relationships were official, he almost never admited that there was something happening between him and some of his students. His second wife is French, third wife was Shae-Lynn, this was official only. After splitting with Miki Ando he gave some interview in Russia (probably some yellow press), where he mentioned Miki was his girlfriend and told something like that he needs a Russian woman. He has a daughter Annabelle.

I must say that I have no idea how could Russian Federation influence relationships between coach and student, they can give an advice (and they probably should give an advise to Morozov), but what will he and his student do, it is their decision, no way Russian Federation‘s decision. If you want to shoot Morozov for having a relationship with too young skater (but not underaged), you have to prove that she was manipulated and she didn’t want it – how do you want to prove it? She will tell you? No, she would sustain that she wanted it and it is her life. The same would say Morozov. And what will you do then? Nothing, of course.

(Piseev was born around 1941 and his wife Alla Shechovtsova was born 1964, so age difference is not something what would be shocking for Russian Federation especially Piseev.)

Until this moment there are not many people who would think that their personal relationships Lena + Morozov or Lena + Nikita were a reason why a couple made mistakes/falls and lost placements throught those three years. Once somebody would start to connect love romances between all those three and skating with mistakes, than it would be a real topic to discuss for Russian Federation - that would be taken into account (as I know it never happened), but hardly any personal relationships would be seriously taken into account.

I am almost sure that only few people from Russian Federation read forum and boards and notice that people are worried about Lena in Morozov’s hands. Oficially nobody never complained. And the couple spend with Morozov every half season abroad and second half of season in Novogorsk – how many times somebody from Federation visited pratices to see how are real relationships between those three?

Another thing is Morozov's life style...I think most of you are people who are partly close to skating world or not really close to skating world, some of you are probably judges and ISU members, coaches, skaters...you all know about Morozov's affairs (sometimes maybe even more than Morozov himself)...do you really believe that a girl who lives in the middle of figure skating world since her childhood and have all those true/rumours from first hand (so she knows all of this even sooner than you)...do you really believe that she didn't know what is Morozov like hearing all those affair's things? Don't be funny. Of course she knew, he had those affairs even before she was born, and Morozov's love affairs with majority of his skaters were discussed for years...the girl knew perfectly what is Morozov like when they started a romance. And she had a choice - young innocent 19 year old Nikita who was her boyfriend until summer 2011 (this relationship was supported by her mother and many fans) or playboy 36 years old Morozov....and she chose.
So I fully agree with TheGothicEme and Neraiselle that is was her choice and her life and there is no reason why to persist on it and repeat that she was/was not underaged, she was right/she was not right.

sisinka

Medalist
What bothers me about this situation in particular is that he is what I would consider to be in a position of authority over her. I don't think coaches should be dating their students probably ever, but surely not when there is such an age gap. I think if they developed an attraction, the ethical thing to have done would have been to go to the federation and say they need a new coach, there is this conflict, and then date if the attraction persisted.

This is wise, I agree, unfortunately I don't believe that any coach would agree with this. They would lose their students (very often promising students) and they would also lose a possibility of daily meetings, because skaters spend most of day at ice rinks.

sisinka

Medalist
Snow63 said:
No news.

Yes. No news is good news.

No news is not good news definitely.
Some facts:
Nobody from I&K or S&Z or some other top Russian dancers is registered on Ice Partner Search Database. http://www.icepartnersearch.com/

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?91935-Ilinykh-and-Katsalapov-Swan-Song
http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/16712.html
Vaitsekhovskaya wrote in interview that Sinitsina will immediately after World Champs go to US and start to train with Nikita.
But S&Z’s coach said that a couple is resting and then they will do some exercises, shows and start to prepare for next season.
….this shows that Vaitsekhovkaya and Zueva didn’t have good info (of course expecting that Alexeeva is right, but all interviews of Russian skaters and coaches with quotes are under control of Russian Federation this year and Federation must agree with every interview until it is free for publishing, so I expect that this is true info).

http://fyeahilinykhkatsalapov.tumblr.com/post/79744184184/35-shows-after-wch
Before World Championships I&K told that they have a contract for 35 shows during whole April, I somewhere read that they start immediately after Worlds to catch it all. While other skaters (Kovtun, Radionova, Stolbova&Klimov, Voronov, Menshow) have photos and videos from shows in Russia already, nothing about I&K – no videos or photos, last videos are from post Olympic show or from Mishin’s show in the beginning of March.
But having 35 shows in April – I expect that such big number means skating from the beginning of the months….but no mentions about I&K doing shows.
That leads to think that something is happening.

Russian Federation, Morozov and I&K know how much attention this split thing got and still gets. While Alexeeva was allowed to give a deny about splitting of S&Z, why Morozov or Federation didn’t do the same with I&K? They know how many talks are around it…and they are still quiet.

uhh

Medalist
http://fyeahilinykhkatsalapov.tumblr.com/post/79744184184/35-shows-after-wch
Before World Championships I&K told that they have a contract for 35 shows during whole April, I somewhere read that they start immediately after Worlds to catch it all. While other skaters (Kovtun, Radionova, Stolbova&Klimov, Voronov, Menshow) have photos and videos from shows in Russia already, nothing about I&K – no videos or photos, last videos are from post Olympic show or from Mishin’s show in the beginning of March.
But having 35 shows in April – I expect that such big number means skating from the beginning of the months….but no mentions about I&K doing shows.
That leads to think that something is happening.

Russian Federation, Morozov and I&K know how much attention this split thing got and still gets. While Alexeeva was allowed to give a deny about splitting of S&Z, why Morozov or Federation didn’t do the same with I&K? They know how many talks are around it…and they are still quiet.

Morozov said during Worlds they hadn't decided what to do about the shows or if they were doing the whole tour - they needed a break and some rest straight after Worlds. And I know that Lena said to the girl who runs that tumblr long before any of these rumours came out that they wouldn't be starting the shows immediately, there would definitely be two weeks off at least. It's not unusual for couples to reassess their plans for shows & so on at the end of the season - Chock/Bates have pulled out of a lot of the Stars on Ice shows because they decided resting and starting to think about next season is more important. So I don't know how much you can read into them not being on the tour right now.

The federation haven't said out & out no, but they've said a lot that sounds like they would be against it - starting with "We've had no notification of a split, people are just trying to upset our skaters" (and remember the original report said the federation was ready to announce the changes as soon as Worlds was over), then saying after Worlds that it would be madness to break up two of their top couples, and they would not permit it. I would guess that what is happening is that they are being given a break, some time to think about things - the federation will not allow Nikita to skate with Viktoria I am sure, so now it's just whether I/K think they can make it work together again, and if yes, are they sticking with Morozov or do they need to find someone else. If it does come down to finding a new coaching environment, I suppose we won't hear much for a while as they try to sort all that out.

ElenaNikitaFan

Rinkside
I don't want Nikita to stay with Elena unless they change coaches or she ends the relationship with Morozov. I don't think it is good for him to stay with a partner who dates their coach.

uhh

Medalist
I don't want Nikita to stay with Elena unless they change coaches or she ends the relationship with Morozov. I don't think it is good for him to stay with a partner who dates their coach.

She has ended the relationship. They've been done for a few months now.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So Bazarova and Zabiyako's partner are the 2 unpaired, then?

Will Zabiyako & Larionov skate for Russia or Estonia ?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Bing translate yields

Estonian pair, Natalja Zabaiako/Alexander Zabroev, whose best result was a 10th place in the European Championship this year, ceased to exist-this was reported by Zaboev on his Facebook page, noting that the decision was a surprise. The incident is directly related to the Russian pair skating: 19-year-old Natalia will be the new partner of 28-year-old Yuri Larionov, who for many years performed with Vera Bazarova, and medalled three times at the European Championships (their parting, let me remind you, the couple announced immediately after the World Championships, where Bazarova and Larionov were seventh.

The new duo will train in Moscow, under the leadership of Nina Moser. However, to perform together in international competitions, the athletes must serve a one-year quarantine, associated with the transition of the partner to compete under the Russian flag.

According to the information of the "SE", continue by going and Bazarova. Preliminary agreement with a new partner, as well as a coach who will coach the duo have already been achieved, and it is likely that the transition will be approved by the Russian Federation of figure skating as early as next week.

Another change concerns dance: from tomorrow, Elena Ilinykh, who recently competed in a Team with Nikita Katsalapov, began joint training with Ruslan Žiganshin. The team intends to work in Moscow under Helena Kustarova and Svetlana Alekseeva.

With regard to the training plans of the former partner of Ilinykh, Katsalapov desires to continue speaking with Victoria Sinitsina; it depends on how quickly the athletes will be able to settle all organizational problems. Nikolai Morozov, under whose leadership Nikita with his new partner are going to train, not to continue his coaching activities in Russia and plans to work constantly in American Hackensack,NJ (Administration of the rink already gave the official confirmation to this effect). (Elena VAITSEKHOVSKAYA)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.