Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alba

Record Breaker
Well, it's not official yet. It's just a rumour. But I remember rumours about them splitting up for the last 2 years. So, who knows...

I seriously hope this is just a rumor but yeah, as you said when there is smoke....

kresslia

Medalist
***? Absolutely shocked. This is insane. They would have been the #1 team in the world... this is their time.

W/P, C/L (are they retiring?), and B/S must be secretly celebrating right now.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
6. Eventually represent Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan? Is she ethnically Kazakh or Uzbek?

Elena is Russian but born in Kazakhstan
that is why she competed for Russia, many Russians from otehr former soviet union blocks are eligible for repatriation to Russia

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It does seem to be more than just a rumour but why would it be leaked just before or during world's this will probably hurt their chances. They are a gorgeous dance ocuple on and off the ice and with so much potential. I would love to see what Krylova or Igor or Marina could have done with them. I hope it is not true. But where there is this much smoke there is usually fire :(

Meoima

Match Penalty
No!!!!!! I hope they reconsider! Call me shallow, but they are both so good looking I could watch them skate all day. :scowl:
:laugh: I have call myself for being shallow when I root for the skaters that has better costumes/better looking. It couldn't be helped. But ice dancers usually have better costume than skaters.

Alba

Record Breaker
From FSU:

This article has Morozov saying he has no idea about it, and Gorshkov saying there's no comment from the federation because they don't know anything about couples splitting up & new couples being formed.
http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/698158

I don't know but this doesn't sound a real denial. I mean, if it's not true you just say It is not true. It's all bollocks!
Instead the coach says "I've no idea" and the President of the Russian Fed. also says I have no comment because "I have no idea".
How about asking their skaters? Simple as that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
From FSU:

I don't know but this doesn't sound a real denial. I mean, if it's not true you just say It is not true. It's all bollocks!
Instead the coach says "I've no idea" and the President of the Russian Fed. also says I have no comment because "I have no idea".
How about asking their skaters? Simple as that.

The classic nondenial denial. :p

Matt K

On the Ice
This might be just a rumor. I hope Elena keeps skating though, what an enormous waste of talent.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Honestly, something just doesn't seem right in this story. I/K is one of the couples that have the best chemistry, are very supportive and you could clearly see that they care about each other... I wouldn't be surprised if even B/S split up, because they don't have that connection... But Nikita and Elena always seemed like they belong together.

Oh I would say you never can tell what goes on behind closed doors (or in closed ice rinks).

If it is true, it is going to make things VERY interesting indeed. Changing partners is a tricky thing--as we learned after Vancouver with the musical chairs of ice dance teams. Those "new" partnerships are only now really beginning to gel. In fact, I've been waiting for this summer to see if the ID world was going to have another go at it.

As a C/B and ShibSib fan, is this is true it is very good news for them. And--even though I am probably going to be lambasted for this--for ice dance in general. I/K to me have always been a 6.0 couple in an IJS world. I've been dreading a major watering down of tech content and a subsequent rise in the Uber!Trauma!Drama! quotient this upcoming quad.

Well the off season may be just as interesting as this very interesting season has been.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Maybe it's just gossips, but i heard that Elena is planning to get married. So, maybe that's why she wants to quit skating. Actually i can understand her. Team OGM and Olympic bronze is a great achivement. She sacrificed a lot for it, perhaps she just want to have a normal life now.

That's certainly possible. There was a time when it was very common for Olympic medalists to leave right after getting to the podium. Not all of them used to continue for multiple cycles just because they had won. Don't forget that there are some teenagers who have won the Olympics and gone professional and quit competition before they even left their teens.

I think we as skating audiences have gotten used to the idea that all skaters want to keep going year after year, but perhaps we forget that sometimes even if you can theoretically keep going further to the next level, you might want to leave and do other things.

anyanka

Record Breaker
As a C/B and ShibSib fan, is this is true it is very good news for them. And--even though I am probably going to be lambasted for this--for ice dance in general. I/K to me have always been a 6.0 couple in an IJS world. I've been dreading a major watering down of tech content and a subsequent rise in the Uber!Trauma!Drama! quotient this upcoming quad.

It IS ice dance, after all! :p
And I was waiting for Elena to become a true diva a la Barbara Fusar-Poli, Marina Anissina or Pasha Grishuk.
I'm so going to use your "Uber!Trauma!Drama!" quote in professional correspondence today. Thanks!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And I was waiting for Elena to become a true diva a la Barbara Fusar-Poli, Marina Anissina or Pasha Grishuk.
I'm so going to use your "Uber!Trauma!Drama!" quote in professional correspondence today. Thanks!

My lawyer may have something to say about that! ;)

Actually one quote from The Skating Lesson I really loved is in their sum-up of the ID competition at Sochi: "It wouldn't be ice dancing if it didn't break your heart." I may have that made into a t-shirt.

Matt K

On the Ice
Oh I would say you never can tell what goes on behind closed doors (or in closed ice rinks).

If it is true, it is going to make things VERY interesting indeed. Changing partners is a tricky thing--as we learned after Vancouver with the musical chairs of ice dance teams. Those "new" partnerships are only now really beginning to gel. In fact, I've been waiting for this summer to see if the ID world was going to have another go at it.

Well the off season may be just as interesting as this very interesting season has been.

I/K had a higher TES and tech base value than both C/B and Shibutanis though, both in levels and GOE, and in both SD and FD. So they are not watering down their tech at all. Earlier in the season when they first debuted their programs, even when they were not getting the levels, they had high GOEs because of their superior edge quality and glide. Their lifts are more interesting and have improved a lot since last year (level 4s too, didn't Shibutanis only get level 3 for one? ). Most importantly they got level 4s in BOTH Finnstep patterns of the SD and a level 4 footwork in the FD, which Shibutanis and C/B couldn't get all season. Elena's charisma was part of her personality, yes, but she didn't just rely on that to "sell" her performances. Their skating earned their Olympic medal, and well deserved.

C/B, B/S, W/P must be breathing sighs of relief. This is a big void in ice dancing. With P/B retiring this is going to be chaos.

I think I will hope for the best with B/S now :eek: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Alba

Record Breaker
The classic nondenial denial. :p

Yeah, but they sound stupid though. What do you mean you don't know? It's not like they're asking to some strangers.

I'm sad sad sad. I was really looking foward to their future and see them shine. Hoping they would learn something from V&M skating.:popcorn:

Alba

Record Breaker

Barbara was never a true diva. More like hyena. :biggrin:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I/K had a higher TES and tech base value than both C/B and Shibutanis though, both in levels and GOE, and in both SD and FD. So they are not watering down their tech at all. Earlier in the season when they first debuted their programs, even when they were not getting the levels, they had high GOEs because of their superior edge quality and glide. Their lifts are more interesting and have improved a lot since last year (level 4s too, didn't Shibutanis only get level 3 for one? ). Most importantly they got level 4s in BOTH Finnstep patterns of the SD and a level 4 footwork in the FD, which Shibutanis and C/B couldn't get all season. Elena's charisma was part of her personality, yes, but she didn't just rely on that to "sell" her performances. Their skating earned their Olympic medal, and well deserved.

C/B, B/S, W/P must be breathing sighs of relief. This is a big void in ice dancing. With P/B retiring this is going to be chaos.

I think I will hope for the best with B/S now :eek: :popcorn: :popcorn:

So true. I must have missed all the level 1s and 2s they got at the olympics! You can't be successful if you aren't technical.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty

out of these three, i like w/p the best - the only male partner worse than katsalapov is evan bates and don't even get me started on bobrova's quasimodo posture. w/p's fd this year was great

i know some people were tired of the d/w-v/m dominance but they always put out very quality programs and were excellent skaters with a lot of charisma.... which i can't exactly say about any of these teams. i hope at least one of them decides to pull a 'sike we're not really retiring'

Matt K

On the Ice
i know some people were tired of the d/w-v/m dominance but they always put out very quality programs and were excellent skaters with a lot of charisma.... which i can't exactly say about any of these teams. i hope at least one of them decides to pull a 'sike we're not really retiring'

To you maybe. You love D/W and think North American skaters can do no wrong, but they never were the best skaters or ice dancers and didn't have any charisma. Quality programs :laugh: How many times can you recycle the same elements over and over, doing the same layout over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.