Page 70 of 189 FirstFirst ... 20 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 120 170 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 2825

Thread: Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split

  1. #1036
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,997
    In fact, Ilinykh may be too thin for lifts, or not enough muscle toned.

    This from Tanith Belbin is on point. She found gaining a few pounds made it easier for Ben (who had chronic back problems all his career) to lift her. Tanith is near in size to Ben, BTW.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/sp...cers.html?_r=0

    Belbin began reading books about nutrition and eating lunch at the rink. She learned to eat foods that would best sustain an athlete’s body.

    She also began training harder off the ice, lifting weights, doing push-ups and participating in Karponosov’s boot camps, which involve hard-core skating drills to strengthen the legs.

    Karponosov’s skaters would often complain that his drills made their legs so muscular that they could no longer fit into their jeans.

    “I was always like, there will never be a day when I can’t fit into my jeans,” Belbin said. “But this past summer, I came to him and said my jeans are so tight. I never thought I’d see that change in my body. It really, really made a difference. It feels good, though.”

    Belbin began marveling at her new body. She had gained 10 pounds. Her waist size increased two inches because her core was so much stronger.

    Agosto could see a huge difference in Belbin’s skating. During lifts, she was no longer a sack of potatoes, holding on for dear life. She could hold her positions much better, and that made it easier for Agosto because she did not move around as much.
    Perhaps North American female dancers train arm strength and core strength harder than Elena and perhaps some other Russian dance ladies accounts for some of the lift problems we see from those teams?

    If there is a fault here, it is in the coaching, BTW, not the skaters'.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 04-12-2014 at 03:21 PM.

  2. #1037
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Perhaps North American female dancers train arm strength and core strength harder than Elena and perhaps some other Russian dance ladies accounts for some of the lift problems we see from those teams?
    Really? Would you like every female skater to look like Duhamel?

  3. #1038
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,997
    No, I don't care how they look. I care about how they skate and interact with music, and each other. (Duhamel is not the most musical skater I ever saw.)

    I am happy if they look like Virtue, or Belbin, or Davis, all of whom worked their upper body a lot- fit and toned.

    They can even look like Marissa Castelli or Aliona Savchenko. for that matter.

    What I don't want them to look like is a limp sack of potatoes while being lifted, mainly because it isn't pretty, isn't smooth, and is hard on the guy. Which is how Belbin looked when she was too thin.

  4. #1039
    tripping on the toe pick
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    186
    Pechalat is another one who obviously had A LOT of strength. Some of their lifts were pretty amazing. I will miss them.

    I don't understand people who disapprove female athletes for looking too athletic, as if that somehow negates their femaleness or something.

  5. #1040
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    You are aware of the fact that I/k didn't medal at NHK 2013 right?
    Yes, so? I don't understand what's your point?

  6. #1041
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by sisinka View Post
    The question is which part of I&K will be supported more by Russian Federation? And of course, who will be prefered by judges?
    The one that will have made more progress I think? Although, it might depend also from the coaches and politics? I don't know...

    Quote Originally Posted by sisinka View Post
    I would add Gwendal Peizerat also.
    Just for fun compare how can two ladies change with different make-up (they are both beauties by the way):
    http://i61.tinypic.com/mjtzrr.jpg
    http://i58.tinypic.com/ac397k.jpg
    ...if Viki or Lena want, they can change make-up and look like grown-up or innocent girl or tender lady or vamp...it is all in their hand...and in their make-up style.
    Yes, Gwendal too.
    It's true, for a woman is easier to change the look thanks to the make up.

  7. #1042
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by nimi View Post
    Pechalat is another one who obviously had A LOT of strength. Some of their lifts were pretty amazing. I will miss them.

    I don't understand people who disapprove female athletes for looking too athletic, as if that somehow negates their femaleness or something.
    Well, it can effect the lines like Duhamel for example. However, you don't need to be like her in order to be toned. There are so many strong skaters which have a beautiful body and lines.

  8. #1043
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Yes, so? I don't understand what's your point?
    Really? You think a team can dominate without medaling At a gp event?

  9. #1044
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Really? You think a team can dominate without medaling At a gp event?
    You're talking about the past and I was talking about the future.
    My answer is YES! I think a team with their skating skills, talent, chemistry, good coach and hard work could have dominated the next quad.
    That means GPF, Euros and Worlds.

  10. #1045
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    You're talking about the past and I was talking about the future.
    My answer is YES! I think a team with their skating skills, talent, chemistry, good coach and hard work could have dominated the next quad.
    That means GPF, Euros and Worlds.
    The failings of their interpersonal relationship made that impossible. So you would have had NHK's all the time which meant no GPfs and no euro or world titles.

  11. #1046
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    The failings of their interpersonal relationship made that impossible. So you would have had NHK's all the time which meant no GPfs and no euro or world titles.
    My point was like, what a pity and that TAT was right to be mad, because they could've been so great. We know they are a dead couple now.
    I didn't say they should stick together no matter what, when he clearly does not want. So really, I still don't get what you are talking about.

  12. #1047
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    In fact, Ilinykh may be too thin for lifts, or not enough muscle toned.

    This from Tanith Belbin is on point. She found gaining a few pounds made it easier for Ben (who had chronic back problems all his career) to lift her. Tanith is near in size to Ben, BTW.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/sp...cers.html?_r=0

    Perhaps North American female dancers train arm strength and core strength harder than Elena and perhaps some other Russian dance ladies accounts for some of the lift problems we see from those teams?

    If there is a fault here, it is in the coaching, BTW, not the skaters'.

    I had to leave, but I was going to mention Tanith and what she's said about weight! I always thought that interview/article was insightful.

  13. #1048
    Custom Title Kitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    456
    well it's sad that they are broken up. I don't read Russian, but this looks like a great tribute page to them. All their great programs and photos -
    http://www.spletnik.ru/blogs/sport-i...ita-katcalapov

  14. #1049
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    well it's sad that they are broken up. I don't read Russian, but this looks like a great tribute page to them. All their great programs and photos -
    http://www.spletnik.ru/blogs/sport-i...ita-katcalapov
    This is an article about I&K describing their career since beginning, but it is from 18th of February, so it looks like a tribute after Olympic Medal. In those times nobody except Nikita and Morozov and maybe Victoria didn't know about a split planned.

  15. #1050
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    In fact, Ilinykh may be too thin for lifts, or not enough muscle toned.

    This from Tanith Belbin is on point. She found gaining a few pounds made it easier for Ben (who had chronic back problems all his career) to lift her. Tanith is near in size to Ben, BTW.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/sp...cers.html?_r=0



    Perhaps North American female dancers train arm strength and core strength harder than Elena and perhaps some other Russian dance ladies accounts for some of the lift problems we see from those teams?

    If there is a fault here, it is in the coaching, BTW, not the skaters'.
    Nice article, many skaters are forced by coaches/parents/Federation/sometimes even by fans to lose weight to look "better". I personally don't like it, because I think that every skater has its own body building and we should respect how are his/her muscles and bones in reality, not that everybody should look like Meryl or Penny Coomes. Plus appropriate costumes help a lot to hide many things.

    I find stupid idea to compare for example Khohlova and Domnina or Bobrova and Ilinykh or Meryl and Tanith. Those are tall versus small or smaller girls. It is quite normal that smaller girl has more tiny bones and less wide shoulders and she is simply smaller in every point of view. Also I don't see a reason why to compare for example Ilinykh, Hurtado or Leonova with who knows Suzuki, Coomes - some people (especially Asians) have more tiny body buildings and some don't. But it doesn't mean that somebody is fat. Somebody tends to creat big muscles (Joubert) and it brings an idea that he is more "big" than others but he is no way fat.

    Lena is more thin than tall girls - Bobrova, Monko, Sinitsina, Yanovskaya - as to bone structure. But those girls look to have muscles more strengtened and all those four girls have long legs which also helps the idea of being more slim on the ice plus all those four girls have more proportional body building. On some photos Lena's ribs are visible, but she is kind of woman who has ability to put kilograms on her hips and back side and legs while upper body stays very very thin. While for example Bobrova who came throught changements in her body some years ago put kilogrames on part of waist and chest. This is normal and every girl comes throught it, you simply can't look like 15 or 16 years old girl forever. But many coaches don't want to accept it.

    I think that Lena and many other Russian (and not only Russian) girls have the same problem. They eat minimum to lose weight, but they are not working as much on making their muscles strengthened. On the contrary American and Canadian girls are doing more exercises off the ice and you can see it mainly in lifts that they don't have a problem in making their body strengthened and helping partner.

    I think this is overall Russian non understandment of what is necessary for acrobatic lifts. They all work with specialists and learn difficult lifts, but their body doesn't look ready for such demands in comparison with Americans and Canadians.

Page 70 of 189 FirstFirst ... 20 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 120 170 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •