Page 83 of 189 FirstFirst ... 33 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 133 183 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 2825

Thread: Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    LOL. Why are we still talking about this? The split is a done deal right? We need to just GET OVER IT ALREADY Nobody seems to be making too much of a fuss over Aliona and Robin splitting? Bring on the new pairs. My wish is we hopefully soon just bury this thread.
    I guess the big difference is that Aliona & Robin didn't really split. He had already decided to retire at the end of this season, and she wants to keep skating so she found another partner. They seem to have ended their partnership on good terms (and with a World title!).

In the case of I&K, people are surprised because they just won an Olympic medal, and are at the beginning of their careers. They also looked cute together and so people were surprised to find out about all the conflicts.

LOL. Why are we still talking about this? The split is a done deal right? We need to just GET OVER IT ALREADY
    Apparently it's the Russian Fed who needs to get over it.

Nobody seems to be making too much of a fuss over Aliona and Robin splitting? Bring on the new pairs.
    Yeah, which pair? We are still waiting.....

On the Ice
    LOL. Why are we still talking about this? The split is a done deal right? We need to just GET OVER IT ALREADY Nobody seems to be making too much of a fuss over Aliona and Robin splitting? Bring on the new pairs. My wish is we hopefully soon just bury this thread.
    This wont stop until the federation says "confirmed new couples".
    The S/S was from a direct source and both Aliona and Robin confirmed it. With I/K situation was a rumour, then lots she said-he said, a bunch of people claiming not to know anything and the federation playing silly, plus we had the victim Viktoria part that claimed not to know a thing and saying she will skate with Ruslan and then she took her stuff and said IM SKATING WITH NIKITA BYE.
    So this topic is a juicy A+ russian drama, it wont stop even when the new couples are listed, it will take a while.
    Also I think I joined this forum at the right time, because I've been literally stalking this thread since it was created for more news and its very entertaining tbh... I mean, at the beggining people were talking about a Mrs. Morozombie no 4 and then we found out about Elena being like a sort of "victim" in this situation.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    I don't think their split is a huge loss to humanity.

I look forward to the many, many talented and exciting dance teams who do have their act together. I'm not really missing Voir and Marlie at all, because I know the next quad will be so fun to watch. I can't wait to see Cappellini and Lanotte, Weaver and Poje, Chock and Bates, Hurtado and Diaz, Gilles and Poirier, Paul and Islam, etc. grow and push each other.
    I agree.

Although on the one hand it will be a loss if V&M and D&W retire as expected, on the other hand it is an opportunity to open up the Dance podium to a new generation of teams.

While it was fun over the past 5 or so seasons to see V&M and D&W battle it out, it meant that with gold and silver already a lock every year, there was only a bronze medal left for all the other teams. This year's Worlds opened up the podium to many more teams.

Some people were worried that with V&M and D&W gone it might mean the end of the North American era in dance, but with 3 Canadian teams & 2 American teams in the Top 10 last month, it looks like the North American teams are here to stay.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...slan-Zhigashin

And yes, there is now also a Fan Fest thread for Elena & Ruslan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    I agree.

Although on the one hand it will be a loss if V&M and D&W retire as expected, on the other hand it is an opportunity to open up the Dance podium to a new generation of teams.

While it was fun over the past 5 or so seasons to see V&M and D&W battle it out, it meant that with gold and silver already a lock every year, there was only a bronze medal left for all the other teams. This year's Worlds opened up the podium to many more teams.

Some people were worried that with V&M and D&W gone it might mean the end of the North American era in dance, but with 3 Canadian teams & 2 American teams in the Top 10 last month, it looks like the North American teams are here to stay.
    I wont miss Davis & White one bit. I dont deny they deserve their titles (well the last year or more they have been way overscored compared to V&M, regardless of winning or not, but that is another topic) but their dancing doing absolutely nothing for me, not liking their frantic and unrefined style, and their increasingly boring dominance (along with V&M but I actually like them) and I am glad they are gone. V&M I will miss just because their elegant and majestical skating, combined with extraordinary technical level, will be hard to not miss; and for Canada they are such icons who have brought us so much.

I dont know about the end of the North American era in dance, but I see this quad being more balanced between the Europeans and North Americans. The European judges wont let NA dominate with teams that arent of the level of D&W and V&M after 5 years of total V&M and D&W dominance which probably frusterated the heck out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    It might be boring to have 1 or 2 teams dominate, but I honestly can't say I'm looking forward to a competition like the last WC in dance. The winner with a 4rth place in FD? No thanks.

True. The least preferred period I had with Ice Dance were 2003-2010
    Honestly, the judges didn't know what to do with DW and VM gone. Thus the aberrations. I think they'll have a clearer idea next season, but there won't be a consensus. It's time for the coaches and Federations to do major politicking for all the respective top 5 teams who all have a shot.

tripping on the toe pick
    ^ As much as I wanted P/B to win, they did make a glaring error in the Finnstep whereas the top 2 teams skated both programs without such mistakes. I got the feeling that the actual performances mattered and that the outcome was in no way predetermined, which was refreshing. (I'm a fan of skating, not lobbying and politicking.)

Honestly, the judges didn't know what to do with DW and VM gone. Thus the aberrations. I think they'll have a clearer idea next season, but there won't be a consensus. It's time for the coaches and Federations to do major politicking for all the respective top 5 teams who all have a shot.
    I hope so.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pamela View Post
    So this topic is a juicy A+ russian drama, it wont stop even when the new couples are listed, it will take a while.
    Also I think I joined this forum at the right time, because I've been literally stalking this thread since it was created for more news and its very entertaining tbh... I mean, at the beggining people were talking about a Mrs. Morozombie no 4 and then we found out about Elena being like a sort of "victim" in this situation.

This topic is a juicy A++ goldenskate forum drama. It feels to me that people are trying to compensate for the lack of the news since the season is over. And the way rumours are spread.. that's just really insane. None of us knows what happened, but yet people are choosing sides. The only victim here is the rusfed skating federation. But they'll get over it, because compared to the situation back in 2010, now it's all rise and shine for them.

At this moment everyone should just thank russian skaters for bringing so much things to talk about.

On the Ice
    Now, this is where, as a newbie to watching FS so closely, I am agog and aghast (and whatever else Grantaire would like to add ). I mean, I've always gathered that politics is part of it and often too big and so corruption allegations and even charges have occurred. However, I keep seeing references to politicking in an approving way as if that is important and I'm confused. Do people want it to be a procession?

As a little girl I watched FS in the 6.0 era and all of it, but especially ice dance, seemed processional with couples having to take their turns until others retired only to then move up the ranks. It frustrated me because it seemed obviously staged and I couldn't understand how some couples surely must skate better or worse than others sometimes, being worthy of being higher or lower sometimes, but this was rarely ever seen in the results.

Now, there does seem a little more movement, but I keep hearing references to coaches and national federations politicking for their couples and couples establishing their reputation and position in the minds of judges for the coming season. But that is one of the things that put people off FS! They want it to be a surprise. They want it to be more like others sports where one week one person / couple wins and then there is an upset next week. They don't want processions! However, it seems that this aspect of FS is prized as essential by a lot of you. Is this grudging, as in we know it happens so god be with my faves? Or is it actually liked? Help a confused newbie out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandSophy View Post
    Now, this is where, as a newbie to watching FS so closely, I am agog and aghast (and whatever else Grantaire would like to add ). I mean, I've always gathered that politics is part of it and often too big and so corruption allegations and even charges have occurred. However, I keep seeing references to politicking in an approving way as if that is important and I'm confused. Do people want it to be a procession?

As a little girl I watched FS in the 6.0 era and all of it, but especially ice dance, seemed processional with couples having to take their turns until others retired only to then move up the ranks. It frustrated me because it seemed obviously staged and I couldn't understand how some couples surely must skate better or worse than others sometimes, being worthy of being higher or lower sometimes, but this was rarely ever seen in the results.

Now, there does seem a little more movement, but I keep hearing references to coaches politicking for their couples and couples establishing their reputation and position in the minds of judges for the coming season. But that is one of the things that put people off FS! Thwey want it to be a surprise. They want it to be more like others sports where one week one person / couple wins and then there is an upset next week. They don't want processions! However, it seems that this aspect of FS is prized as essential by a lot of you. Is this grudging, as in we know it happens so god be with my faves? Or is it actually liked? Help a confused newbie out.
    I guess that kind of "tolerance" of corruption varies from person to person. Some people deny it but some see it as a necessary evil. This largely happens because there are judges in FS and judging in FS is largely subjective, especially with ice dance. It's not really a "positive" thing ethically, but being naive and "pure" can be costly. A coach with no political clout can't contest deductions or be given good advice when receiving feedback from the panel or receiving help from the Federations.

Quote Originally Posted by nimi View Post
    ^ As much as I wanted P/B to win, they did make a glaring error in the Finnstep whereas the top 2 teams skated both programs without such mistakes. I got the feeling that the actual performances mattered and that the outcome was in no way predetermined, which was refreshing. (I'm a fan of skating, not lobbying and politicking.)
    Well, I think the judges made up their mind to give the World title to I&K. When I&K bombed, they didn't know what to do. I think 5th after the SD for I&K was generous; 8th place would have been more fair. Indeed, C&L deserved 1st place in the SD, while W&P should definitely have won overall on the strength of their tango. The judges don't seem to have an idea how their scores worked against their plan. They couldn't even give I&K a bronze. B&S withdrawing also confused them.

If the judges knew what they were doing, you wouldn't have a couple finish 1st in the SD, then 4th in the FD to win overall. They would have concocted some excuse to prop or demote someone for a particular medal.

it would have been W&P, not C&L.

On the Ice
    I guess that kind of "tolerance" of corruption varies from person to person. Some people deny it but some see it as a necessary evil. This largely happens because there are judges in FS and judging in FS is largely subjective, especially with ice dance. It's not really a "positive" thing ethically, but being naive and "pure" can be costly. A coach with no political clout can't contest deductions or be given good advice when receiving feedback from the panel or receiving help from the Federations.
    Hmm, interesting. So, (and I realise that this would be hard to enforce) why are judges allowed to help, advise and instruct federations at all? Why are they not just... judges? Couldn't they have, I don't know, like an advisory panel that is wholly separate to the judges and judges are not allowed contact with coaches / federations? In theory, anyway?

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippuripihvi View Post
    This topic is a juicy A++ goldenskate forum drama. It feels to me that people are trying to compensate for the lack of the news since the season is over. And the way rumours are spread.. that's just really insane. None of us knows what happened, but yet people are choosing sides. The only victim here is the rusfed skating federation. But they'll get over it, because compared to the situation back in 2010, now it's all rise and shine for them.
    At this moment everyone should just thank russian skaters for bringing so much things to talk about.
    Off season talk:

"What'll we do with ourselves this afternoon?" cried Daisy, "and the day after that, and the next thirty years?"
    "Don't be morbid," Jordan said. "Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall."
    I am so surprised the Great Gastby can be applied in this case.

Page 83 of 189 FirstFirst ... 33 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 133 183 ... LastLast