2014 Worlds - Short Dance | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Short Dance

Matt K

On the Ice
Just watched W/P again. Not only do P/B and I/K have deeper edges than C/L, but I think even W/P too (!), and I don't even like W/P :eek:

BlackPack

Medalist
You'll see what you want to see. C&L's straight line sequence was masterful. P&B... I don't think they can hold a candle to any of their competitors.

Matt K

On the Ice
W/P are not the most naturally talented couple, don't have the natural skating skills like I/K or V/M, but are really improved from even last year. Deeper edges than C/L by far, IMO. I think Krylova/Camerlengo are a good fit for them. Can't wait to see the FDs of W/P, I/K and P/B.

Since I/K are probably too far back to win I hope P/B wins their first World title.

KKonas

Medalist
Overall impressions top five in SD. Thought C&L deserved the top score as they really sold this program. They had excellent speed in the twizzles and overall. For me, W/P looked slightly off the entire program. It just wasn’t sharp. Same thing with P/B – it’s a shame really for their last SD performance as they probably lost a chance for gold. Also felt that Chock/Bates were undermarked in both GOEs and PCS as they are very good technical skaters and have really improved their overall performance level this season. They have a shot at the podium if they skate well in the FD and others make errors. Obviously I/K took a huge hit on the twizzles rightly so, but their overall basic skating is strong. He tends to make mistakes when he tries to speed up, but they still have a chance to win if they don’t screw up their FD.

The judging was pretty appalling.

Because the judges did not penalise the lack of quality appropriately, it looked like it was the levels and the skating order that mostly produced the results.

Example: Nelli Zhiganshina executed choppy three-turns instead of twizzles in both of her two sets. What GOE did they get? Eight +1s and one 0. *sigh*

It screwed Hurtado/Diaz over. They would have probably ended up at least a few places higher, had they skated in group 5 instead of 2. Yes, they missed some levels but seeing them get lower PCS than Reeds is just :bang:.

I have no idea what Shtork/Rand are doing in the top 20, given the sloppiness of her skating and the wooden upper body movement. Again, the fact that Kolbe/Caruso skated first probably had something to do with it.

You'll see what you want to see. C&L's straight line sequence was masterful. P&B... I don't think they can hold a candle to any of their competitors.

Shallow edges and 'skating small' is something that C/L have been criticised for, for years now. They've improved a bit but they're still behind. P/B and I/K didn't have successful outings in the SD but their basic skating is stronger. Especially I/K's - depth, sureness and smoothness of their edges is just remarkable.

People are arguing that they were scored too high relative to how they performed for that dance that day, namely the last 30 seconds or so.

But their SD was performed extremely well. :confused:

They were fast, their edges were fantastic, their movement was fluid, the whole package was amazing. Even after they blew the twizzles, they didn't seem to lose their stride, for once.

And all elements other than twizzles were excellent as well.

Matt K

On the Ice
Shallow edges and 'skating small' is something that C/L have been criticised for, for years now. They've improved a bit but they're still behind. P/B and I/K didn't have successful outings in the SD but their basic skating is stronger. Especially I/K's - depth, sureness and smoothness of their edges is just remarkable.

But their SD was performed extremely well. :confused:

They were fast, their edges were fantastic, their movement was fluid, the whole package was amazing. Even after they blew the twizzles, they didn't seem to lose their stride, for once.

And all elements other than twizzles were excellent as well

Exactly. And I agree. And they only scored 65 for their SD, which is FAR below their PB (a PB in the mid- 70s they would have received if the twizzles were clean). Some of the people here are harping about one botched element (which they paid for dearly in the TES, getting zero credit for it). So if they botch one element while all the others are of a vastly higher quality than the other teams, why not just stop the program then if that's the only thing they are going to look at? Judges judge the whole impression based on the entire performance, and on that day, their quality and execution of all elements but one were notches higher than the rest. They skated right after the Shibutanis, and the difference in quality was hugely noticeable. It was painfully obvious. This should count for something. I mean, should we just tell the skater to call it quits after botching an element :laugh:.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
My "haterade presence"? is that a joke? The point was about I/k not being consistent enough to ever warrant expectation of routine success.

"End this team already" = haterade. I firmly think I/K should have paid more for their error but tha still doesn't proclude them from being a good team. I'm not a huge fan of theirs but to say they should call it quits together when they've been one of the most successful teams in Sochi, even when prone to errors is mean. They train to avoid errors and sometimes errors are just what happen. You make it sound like what they're doing is child's play with no inherent risk of errors. I also think it's appalling to tell skaters to call it quits and to do so when they're one of the top skaters is frankly silly to suggest that.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I&K were held up. 5th place for a missed element worth around 6 points in a deep field isn't good. Looks the judges are still giving them the chance to win a bronze but .... really too bad. It was their biggest chance to win the whole thing.

I might predict another Hanyu happening where I/K should be receiving lower scores in their short, but it doesn't happen and they are this able to make up the gap in the FS to barely win overall.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Exactly. And I agree. And they only scored 65 for their SD, which is FAR below their PB (a PB in the mid- 70s they would have received if the twizzles were clean). Some of the people here are harping about one botched element (which they paid for dearly in the TES, getting zero credit for it). So if they botch one element while all the others are of a vastly higher quality than the other teams, why not just stop the program then if that's the only thing they are going to look at? Judges judge the whole impression based on the entire performance, and on that day, their quality and execution of all elements but one were notches higher than the rest. They skated right after the Shibutanis, and the difference in quality was hugely noticeable. It was painfully obvious. This should count for something. I mean, should we just tell the skater to call it quits after botching an element :laugh:.

I don't see a lot of evidence that I/K are "of a vastly higher quality than the other teams". They have moments of brilliance, and show potential, but they also had lots of moments of unfinished movements, mismatched lines, and general sloppiness in addition to the missed element. Her skills are quite a bit better than his. In the first part, they did not look "connected". That part was better in the second half. They have drama and speed, but not always smooth togetherness that you see from teams like W/P, C/L, and even the Shibs. Sorry, but I think they were significantly over-scored in PCS.

Matt K

On the Ice
I don't see a lot of evidence that I/K are "of a vastly higher quality than the other teams". They have moments of brilliance, and show potential, but they also had lots of moments of unfinished movements, mismatched lines, and general sloppiness in addition to the missed element. Her skills are quite a bit better than his. In the first part, they did not look "connected". That part was better in the second half. They have drama and speed, but not always smooth togetherness that you see from teams like W/P, C/L, and even the Shibs. Sorry, but I think they were significantly over-scored in PCS.

Their edge quality and flow is superior to C/L, W/P and Shibs. Everything from the knees down, I/K have everyone else beat, by far. No offense, but Shibs don't have V/M's skating quality even though you may think so. Shibs's extensions aren't that impressive and (this is JMO, but Shibs don't move with a lot of purpose, whether it's a emphasizing a line or position).

Being quiet subdued skaters doesn't make them great skaters. No offense but Shibs are not V/M. The quality is quite big. Shibs are good but not exceptional.

C/L don't skate with deep powerful edges like I/K or P/B (and even W/P, whose skating I do not care for particularly much). Add to the open programs, C/L are able to skate light and faster (they are like the D/W 2.0). W/P have deeper edges than C/L but not as fluid as P/B and I/K's. Kaitlyn's upper body is so, so tense so I don't like their posture.

If you look at Nikita's skating alone, he can hold his own easily, IMO. Super deep edges, amazing smooth knees and just clean, smooth glide. That step sequence is exquisite. Elena steals the show, but I think she would in ANY partnership. It's not her fault that her charisma can lead some people to believe her partner is invisible.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
G/P - She messed up the second twizzles, so the TES will go down, but can I just say that I love both their music choices for SD and FD this season?

Yes, both G&P's programs do a good job of reflecting their personalities. Their SD here was their 2nd-best of the season, a couple points below their SB at 4CC's. Piper got the 2nd twizzle done, but there was a turnout at the end. As Kurt Browning & co. said on CBC, they almost missed the bus to the arena and got stuck in traffic, so they were probably a bit frazzled when they arrived! Not as smooth as 4CC's, but after getting to the arena late, they managed to calm down in time for a Top 10 finish in the SD!