Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Cheers to the Japanese Crowds!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Agreed. That Ru-ssi-a cheer was the most annoying thing ever.

The Japanese are a modicum of humility, class, and being amazing fans. They cheered at the appropriate moments, genuinely felt for skaters when they made errors, and were very supportive in general. Even for So Youn's I saw a couple people standing, which I certainly would have done myself, even if she weren't popular or a favourite. Certainly for Anna's they were appreciative.
    Oh, yes. My husband and I were two of such people, actually. So Youn Park skated just brilliantly there. So Youn has become one of 'must-watch-out-in-future-competitions' skaters at this year's Worlds, for both of us officially. So has Hae Jin Kim. Korea has a bright future, I think!

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    deedee, can you answer a question for me? If you sit, say under the roof in the Saitama Super Arena and your favourite skater finishes the program, is it possible to reach the lower stands fast enough to throw your presents and flowers on the ice? I have a hard time imagining this!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    deedee, can you answer a question for me? If you sit, say under the roof in the Saitama Super Arena and your favourite skater finishes the program, is it possible to reach the lower stands fast enough to throw your presents and flowers on the ice? I have a hard time imagining this!
    I imagine there is a queue and they brief people to line up in designated spots. I did note the lines to throw flowers up and down the aisles and across were extremely efficient. It looked like rush hour in Tokyo!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    Where I sat with my hubby for four days was exactly 'under the roof'; called the level 4 meaning 4 floors up from the rink (fyi, our closest seats to the ceiling was on DAY 4 (only 2 rows behind us to the complete ceiling! ) So, my answer is 'no way!', MaiKatze. It probably would have taken me FOREVER if I had wanted to go down three levels/floors down to throw a flower or present to the rink, while literally crawling thru thousands of people, like rush hour in Tokyo as anyanka perfectly describes. Your imagination is just correct, on this one.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    I thought so, thanks for answering. Too bad if you have presents for your favourite skater and are that high up!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/...ts-from-worlds

"While dining in restaurants, waiting for trains or browsing in stores, I was constantly struck by how many times figure skating came up in the conversations of those around me. It was quite a strange yet lovely experience to be in a place where Mao Asada's triple Axel or Yuzuru Hanyu's quad were everyday topics for young and old alike."

Brb, booking a Japanese class & one-way ticket to Tokyo......
    I went to Japan a few years ago (2 weeks before the tsunami, coincidentally), and on a weekend trip to Kyoto, I had a lovely chat with two of the girls from the ryuokan I was staying at. They were positively giddy when I mentioned Mao and Daisuke... and we chatted (as well as we could). I was one of my favourite moments, to chat figure skating with people from a completely different country. And they love Canadian skaters too!

The Japanese in general are a reverent, polite people, and partisanship doesn't come into play for their competitions and they respect the efforts of all athletes. All other nations could really take a page from their books.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Where I sat with my hubby for four days was exactly 'under the roof'; called the level 4 meaning 4 floors up from the rink (fyi, our closest seats to the ceiling was on DAY 4 (only 2 rows behind us to the complete ceiling! ) So, my answer is 'no way!', MaiKatze. It probably would have taken me FOREVER if I had wanted to go down three levels/floors down to throw a flower or present to the rink, while literally crawling thru thousands of people, like rush hour in Tokyo as anyanka perfectly describes. Your imagination is just correct, on this one.
    Thanks for the recap! I've never been to a worlds but given it was in Japan and watching how the crowd moved like a well-oiled imagination, I just thought of logistics. Heck, if I got that maybe I should go work one of these events in operations and crowd control. :P

Cheers for the Japanese crowd not just for supporting all skaters, but also for always filling the arena the way the do, it's really hard to spot a single seat that's empty. I also appreciate the way they always give a standing ovation when they see a fantastic skate.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7