Cheers to the Japanese Crowds! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Cheers to the Japanese Crowds!

moviechick

On the Ice
Japan is like famous worldwide for having extremely polite people. I only went there once but I was almost shocked at how well-behaved all the children were. And they love their figure skating there, and they've been great fans even during times when they didn't have a strong competitor. And they really seem to embrace foreign skaters (i.e. Julia).

anyanka

Record Breaker
Japan is like famous worldwide for having extremely polite people. I only went there once but I was almost shocked at how well-behaved all the children were. And they love their figure skating there, and they've been great fans even during times when they didn't have a strong competitor. And they really seem to embrace foreign skaters (i.e. Julia).

Yes, they recognize real talent when they see it, and appreciate it. Yuna scored her first WR in the SP at 2007 worlds in Tokyo, despite the intense rivalry between her and the Japanese squad and the two countries' history of hostility.

ahy

Final Flight
They wear those masks to prevent from spreading the virus when you got a cold or whatever, It's the high season now so there are quite a number of people wearing them over here in HK.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I love when the Japanese female announcer says some stuff and then pauses for a second and adds "Doitze!"

She always sounds like she's about to burst with happiness :yay:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
The Japanese crowds were incredible the whole event. They cheered for everyone, no matter the nationality. They supported Javi so much even though he was the biggest rival for Yuzu and Machida, they encouraged Carolina today, they cheered for Wagner's great performance.
I wish some beautiful skaters who retired at Sochi (V/M, D/W, Dai, Yuna) had received standing ovations like the ones in Japan.

yude

Record Breaker
Oh and the Japanese audiences are partly to thank for Caro's amazing performance (bold added by me):

"Performing to “Ave Maria”, Kostner hit a triple flip-triple toeloop, a triple loop, double Axel and picked up a level four for two spins and the footwork. The 2012 World Champion earned 77.24 points. “This afternoon I felt much more nervous than in Sochi. I kept asking myself why. I think I was not sure if I was able to skate one more time with such a freedom, but then I kept on thinking about the Japanese audience, they have been waiting since 2011 to have this world championship here, so for me it felt almost an honor to skate and go on the ice and skate, and I felt the appreciation of the people. I calmed down and to remember what is important in skating (is) not just to think about the jumps and other elements, but to create something together”, the Olympic bronze medalist told the post event press conference."

http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...world-figure-skating-championships-2014-day-2

Thank you very much, Carolina!!

And I thank this thread as one of the figure skating fans in Japan!! (I watched WC on TV though :biggrin:)

Barb

Record Breaker
Extreme Russia haters can't even accept russian crowds cheering loudly for Russians but treating all other skaters with total respect.
Japanese crowd were cheering louder for Mao than Russian for Julia or Adelina and even they gave standing ovation to Carolina, Ashley, Julia , W/P, etc. and I did not heard Ja-pan, Ja-pan while a foreign skater was waiting their scores in the kiss and cry :frown:

alebi

Medalist
The Japanese crowd is the best in terms of supporting every skater, giving presents, showing flags from all countries and filling big arenas with almost sold-out competitions, that's why I should give them every big championships... but I'm a bit fed up with people still talking about comparison with Sochi.

An Olympic game is an event that attracts a more various and less specific audience so it's normal that the majority was only for Russian skaters (and maybe hasn't even watch any other skater in its life). The evidence is the Cup of Russia which in terms of supporting isn't different from any other grand prix competition (excepting NHK as previously said)

moviechick

On the Ice
I'm not sure how true this is, but a friend told me that in Russia, figure skating is a bit more like the rowdy sports (like hockey or football) where you can get a little crazy in the audience and people don't see it as girly as the way North Americans see FS so you get a different type of crowd there.

anyanka

Record Breaker
The Japanese crowd is the best in terms of supporting every skater, giving presents, showing flags from all countries and filling big arenas with almost sold-out competitions, that's why I should give them every big championships... but I'm a bit fed up with people still talking about comparison with Sochi.

An Olympic game is an event that attracts a more various and less specific audience so it's normal that the majority was only for Russian skaters (and maybe hasn't even watch any other skater in its life). The evidence is the Cup of Russia which in terms of supporting isn't different from any other grand prix competition (excepting NHK as previously said)

Agreed. One of the key differences is visible just from looking at 2011 worlds in Moscow. What a great crowd! They cheered not just for their home faves but also gave rousing standing O's to Chan in his FS, and IIRC to the Germans as well. The crowd at 2011W was one that really appreciated figure skating, but the Sochi crowd had lots of spectators who normally don't follow the sport. Just my 0.02 (nod to the free dance)

anyanka

Record Breaker
I also just noticed that even though the crowd appears to be about 99% Japanese, they brought flags for just about every country to wave. Almost every single skater I saw (on the edited broadcasts I saw) had at least one fan waving their national flag in the audience: Japan, Russia, USA, Canada, France, Italy, Spain, you name it. Great atmosphere. I'd love to have been there! Plus, love how the fan faves from different countries got rousing ovations just by taking the ice (e.g. Caro, big ovation before she even started!).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is not total respect to be chanting Russia Russia or playing drums or horns during the skate of competitors from other countries, or while the skaters from other countries are waiting for their scores.

That said, Worlds 2011 was fine, so yes it is true that the Olympic crowd was different.

It is fine to cheer for Russian skaters. Not so fine to try to shake up other competitors and destroy the performance by drowning out the music. The crowd was so rude I have little desire to rewatch even good performances by favorites of mine ever again.

BlackPack

Medalist

Sorry, as a skating fan who's been watching the sport for over 20 years, the Sochi crowd was by far the most blatantly and offensively partisan and insensitive I've seen.

It does sting to see that sort of behavior. That is why so many people are still complaining because that kind of myopic patriotism, which borders on xenophobia, is exceptionally bad.

There was a time when Dorothy Hamill was skating after an Austrian (?) lady. The crowd booed her predecessor's scores and continued to do so when Dorothy took the ice. Dorothy took it personally and broke down. The crowd soon realized its mistake and gave her a loud round of applause. The crowd should never underestimate its own power over skaters and judges. The mob mentality needs to be curbed at times so skaters are inspired to do their best. After all, it's what we as fans live for - their best performances.

cooper

Medalist
kudos to the japanese crowd!!!

still can't get over how awful the crowd in sochi.. it was heartbreaking as a yuna fan in the lp as the last skater.. she was waiting for her scores while the judges were still deliberating.. and the unsportsmanlike cheer from the crowd as they chanted russssyyaaaa!!! russsyyyyaaa!!! with their matching horns!!

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
kudos to the japanese crowd!!!

still can't get over how awful the crowd in sochi.. it was heartbreaking as a yuna fan in the lp as the last skater.. she was waiting for her scores while the judges were still deliberating.. and the unsportsmanlike cheer from the crowd as they chanted russssyyaaaa!!! russsyyyyaaa!!! with their matching horns!!

Your forgot another example of unsportsmanlike cheer in Sochi coming from Yuna fans who put a Korean flag on Mao's banner to cover Mao's face. :disapp: Oh wait, wait! Rules play different for Yuna and her fans. :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Japanese crowd were cheering louder for Mao than Russian for Julia or Adelina and even they gave standing ovation to Carolina, Ashley, Julia , W/P, etc. and I did not heard Ja-pan, Ja-pan while a foreign skater was waiting their scores in the kiss and cry :frown:

Agreed. That Ru-ssi-a cheer was the most annoying thing ever.

The Japanese are a modicum of humility, class, and being amazing fans. They cheered at the appropriate moments, genuinely felt for skaters when they made errors, and were very supportive in general. Even for So Youn's I saw a couple people standing, which I certainly would have done myself, even if she weren't popular or a favourite. Certainly for Anna's they were appreciative.

cooper

Medalist
Your forgot another example of unsportsmanlike cheer in Sochi coming from Yuna fans who put a Korean flag on Mao's banner to cover Mao's face. :disapp: Oh wait, wait! Rules play different for Yuna and her fans. :laugh:

ummm.. i guess those selective yuna fans (if it's true) affected mao's skating in the short program with them chanting koreyyaaa with their horns.. oh wait.. :p

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
ummm.. i guess those selective yuna fans (if it's true) affected mao's skating in the short program with them chanting koreyyaaa with their horns.. oh wait.. :p
Scared much? The best way to deal with truth is to tell it's a lie. How typical for Yuna fans. Everything what is not flattering for her is a lie. Judges who don't make her 1st are cheaters. Her boyfriend is a Monsieur Alfonse looking for her money. How dared she choose a boyfriend without her fans' approval! :laugh: NHK that showed a Korean flag on Mao's banner faked it all. Other skaters's fans are bots. Etc. :rofl:

I want Yuna to compete in 2018. The world will see again how her country treat her- as a great display of Korean nationalism, a thing, a possession that belongs to the country, they call it national treasure. With her banners putting on all other skaters' banners, crowds cheering hangug whenever anyone skates. Sochi will look like toddlers with mommy's milk on lips. :p

Such a beautiful thread. Great thanks to Japanese crowds. Not a surprise that Yuna fans got jealous and dragged her majesty here as well. No thread without YUNA! :popcorn:

uncchristine99

Rinkside
I love when the Japanese female announcer says some stuff and then pauses for a second and adds "Doitze!" She always sounds like she's about to burst with happiness :yay:

It's douzo (ドウゾ) which means something like "here you go" when you present something. So, the whole string together is something like, "and now from Japan, here comes Mao Asada" where "here comes" is "douzo." I also find it cute!

The Japanese crowds are great for these Worlds. I remember the Nagano Olympics being very tepid in reception for everyone but I think the super stardom of Shizuka Arakawa, Mao Asada, Daisuki Takahashi and others since then have obviously lifted the sport and made fangirls/fanboys of all skaters more vocal and excited in the stands. Someone earlier in the thread said, these are athletes, not rock stars but I feel like they are indeed rock star status! Phillippe Candeloro had the crowd in his hand everywhere he went, haha! But I agree that shouting "I love you" to Yuzuru right before his music starts is distracting and in poor taste. Fine for exhibition but not in competition!

I also feel like USA and Japan as countries are particularly fond of meritocracy and that translates to sport in this case. Doesn't matter who you are or where you're from... if you demonstrate the goods, I will clap for you. :) I will never forget Shen/Zhao's rousing ovation at 2003 Worlds in Washington DC. It was epic!