Cheers to the Japanese Crowds! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cheers to the Japanese Crowds!

Barb

Record Breaker
What a difference :clap:, And with that support the skaters are skating their best. Nice NOT to hear ja-pan, ja-pan! While someone is waiting their scores in kiss and cry :rolleye:

DaveT

On the Ice
A refreshing contrast to the very dour Russian audience in Sochi !

Indeed. The Japanese are amazing and it really is the juxtaposition to the rudest audience in skating history at O's just before this that really punctuates it.

Darthwill

Rinkside
My hometown was the first or one of the first stops of the 2002 Stars on Ice tour, and since this was just after the Olympic games, the pairs skating scandal was fresh on everyone's mind. When Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze stepped out onto the ice, you could tell that they were worried about how they would be received by an American audience. We gave them a loud and long standing ovation before they skated. Their worried looks melted away into big smiles as they waved back at us. We just wanted to let them know that we didn't blame them for the scandal, that we knew that they weren't cheats and had no involvement in that mess. We wanted to show them respect. So when I saw the Sochi crowd's limp reactions to skaters not born in Mother Russia, it was disappointing...and it made me a little angry. I have been watching figure skating since 1976 and I have never seen a crowd react (or was it not react?) in such a manner. One of the best things about this sport is seeing the audience really getting into a great skate. I'm glad the skaters will be getting that respect in Japan.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
My hometown was the first or one of the first stops of the 2002 Stars on Ice tour, and since this was just after the Olympic games, the pairs skating scandal was fresh on everyone's mind. When Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze stepped out onto the ice, you could tell that they were worried about how they would be received by an American audience. We gave them a loud and long standing ovation before they skated. Their worried looks melted away into big smiles as they waved back at us. We just wanted to let them know that we didn't blame them for the scandal, that we knew that they weren't cheats and had no involvement in that mess. We wanted to show them respect. So when I saw the Sochi crowd's limp reactions to skaters not born in Mother Russia, it was disappointing...and it made me a little angry. I have been watching figure skating since 1976 and I have never seen a crowd react (or was it not react?) in such a manner. One of the best things about this sport is seeing the audience really getting into a great skate. I'm glad the skaters will be getting that respect in Japan.

aw that's a great story

and the japanese crowd really is great, skaters always talk about how much they love skating in asia because everyone is so enthusiastic and they ooh and ahh over every little thing

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That's another good point - see how PACKED the arena has been, even for the lower-ranked skaters, about 4 hours before the final group takes to the ice?! Amazing!

Actually, I think it might have overwhelmed a few skaters, who have perhaps never performed in front of such huge crowds...? eg. Nam Nguyen's weird and uncharacteristic fall-for-no-reason

Well it's packed for the single events. I just think the Japanese audiences are so ideal I wish they would crowd in for the pairs and dance events too! But I'm greedy that way!

CarneAsada

Medalist
What a difference :clap:, And with that support the skaters are skating their best. Nice NOT to hear ja-pan, ja-pan! While someone is waiting their scores in kiss and cry :rolleye:
They would be chanting "Nip-pon! Nip-pon!" Or maybe not; do they ever chant "Ni-hon" at sporting events? I don't actually know Japanese... :slink:

Why are they still scared of SARS though ? :laugh:
Are you referring to the facial masks? They wear them all over East Asia, though I don't know why.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
They would be chanting "Nip-pon! Nip-pon!" Or maybe not; do they ever chant "Ni-hon" at sporting events? I don't actually know Japanese... :slink:

Are you referring to the facial masks? They wear them all over East Asia, though I don't know why.

Yes, I saw it last year in Hong kong, it's to avoid germs, And probably a behavioural residue from the early 2000s ;)

Kinda like Polish jews are with control :slink:

markmchen

Rinkside
People wear the masks in Japan if they have a cold so they don't infect other people. Very considerate :) Also, people wear the masks if they have allergies. Allergy season has begun here in Tokyo.

Meoima

Match Penalty
They would be chanting "Nip-pon! Nip-pon!" Or maybe not; do they ever chant "Ni-hon" at sporting events? I don't actually know Japanese...
Has not heard any words like Nippon or Nihon through Japanese live stream. They only "owww" or "waaaa" very nicely and clap loudly :clap:

ks777

Record Breaker

Some people are afraid of catching cold or giving cold to someone.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Has not heard any words like Nippon or Nihon through Japanese live stream. They only "owww" or "waaaa" very nicely and clap loudly :clap:
Nippon/Nihon is the Japanese name for Japan. It would be their equivalent of Russians chanting "Ro-ssi-ya"

Meoima

Match Penalty
Nippon/Nihon is the Japanese name for Japan. It would be their equivalent of Russians chanting "Ro-ssi-ya"
I know because I studied Japanese for a while, my Japanese is tedious because it has been a long time and I can't read Kanji anymore. But I know what I have heard from the live stream. They only "Ohhhh" or "wowww".

CarneAsada

Medalist
I know because I studied Japanese for a while, my Japanese is tedious because it has been a long time and I can't read Kanji anymore. But I know what I have heard from the live stream. They only "Ohhhh" or "wowww".
I actually just meant that if they wanted to be all "patriotic" like the Sochi crowd, they wouldn't chant "Ja-pan." I wasn't saying that they were chanting it.

vainoid

Spectator
The Chinese CCTV commentator also spoke very highly of the professional, friendly and passionate crowds! She said they are so unique and it could hardly happen in any other counties except for U.S. and Japan. What really impressed me is that the Japanese crows reacted so cheerful after Carolina just made a excellent sp performance, who might be the biggest rival to Mao in some degree.

TMC

Record Breaker
I wish there were a way to let the Japanese crowd know how much they are appreciated by even just the skating fans on the other side of the world watching on tv! I want to give them all a hug...I couldn't think of anything else so I tweeted my thanks to one skater's Japanese fan twitter - I had to get it out!!! :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I am so thankful for the Japanese crowd.

Funny how the number of clean skates have also been significantly higher than Sochi, too. Obviously there was Olympic pressure, but you can't help but wonder if a supportive crowd brings out the best in skaters (captain obvious says yes).

Nice to see a crowd who lauds the skating before they laud the placements.