Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Cheers to the Japanese Crowds!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Hats off and Not surprised at all.
    A refreshing contrast to the very dour Russian audience in Sochi !

Custom Title
    Thank you so much, fans of Japan, for your sportsmanship and hospitality at this event.

Custom Title
    Yes, thank you to the crowds and the fans! Wonderful to see them so appreciative of everyone, as opposed to the overly nationalist crowds at Sochi.

I hope when north america and europe broadcast this and people watch they will see hiw exciting skating can be, even with a complicated judging system. Its still great viewing and the judging loks so much better and less lucratuve than in Russia.

I too was so happy to see the skaters getting support from the audience-definitely a more pleasing atmosphere than they had to deal with at the Olympics!

What a difference , And with that support the skaters are skating their best. Nice NOT to hear ja-pan, ja-pan! While someone is waiting their scores in kiss and cry

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sgsmozart View Post
    A refreshing contrast to the very dour Russian audience in Sochi !
    Indeed. The Japanese are amazing and it really is the juxtaposition to the rudest audience in skating history at O's just before this that really punctuates it.

Rinkside
    My hometown was the first or one of the first stops of the 2002 Stars on Ice tour, and since this was just after the Olympic games, the pairs skating scandal was fresh on everyone's mind. When Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze stepped out onto the ice, you could tell that they were worried about how they would be received by an American audience. We gave them a loud and long standing ovation before they skated. Their worried looks melted away into big smiles as they waved back at us. We just wanted to let them know that we didn't blame them for the scandal, that we knew that they weren't cheats and had no involvement in that mess. We wanted to show them respect. So when I saw the Sochi crowd's limp reactions to skaters not born in Mother Russia, it was disappointing...and it made me a little angry. I have been watching figure skating since 1976 and I have never seen a crowd react (or was it not react?) in such a manner. One of the best things about this sport is seeing the audience really getting into a great skate. I'm glad the skaters will be getting that respect in Japan.

Custom Title
    Best crowd of the season award

Why are they still scared of SARS though ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthwill View Post
    My hometown was the first or one of the first stops of the 2002 Stars on Ice tour, and since this was just after the Olympic games, the pairs skating scandal was fresh on everyone's mind. When Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze stepped out onto the ice, you could tell that they were worried about how they would be received by an American audience. We gave them a loud and long standing ovation before they skated. Their worried looks melted away into big smiles as they waved back at us. We just wanted to let them know that we didn't blame them for the scandal, that we knew that they weren't cheats and had no involvement in that mess. We wanted to show them respect. So when I saw the Sochi crowd's limp reactions to skaters not born in Mother Russia, it was disappointing...and it made me a little angry. I have been watching figure skating since 1976 and I have never seen a crowd react (or was it not react?) in such a manner. One of the best things about this sport is seeing the audience really getting into a great skate. I'm glad the skaters will be getting that respect in Japan.
    aw that's a great story

and the japanese crowd really is great, skaters always talk about how much they love skating in asia because everyone is so enthusiastic and they ooh and ahh over every little thing

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    That's another good point - see how PACKED the arena has been, even for the lower-ranked skaters, about 4 hours before the final group takes to the ice?! Amazing!

Actually, I think it might have overwhelmed a few skaters, who have perhaps never performed in front of such huge crowds...? eg. Nam Nguyen's weird and uncharacteristic fall-for-no-reason
    Well it's packed for the single events. I just think the Japanese audiences are so ideal I wish they would crowd in for the pairs and dance events too! But I'm greedy that way!

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    What a difference , And with that support the skaters are skating their best. Nice NOT to hear ja-pan, ja-pan! While someone is waiting their scores in kiss and cry
    They would be chanting "Nip-pon! Nip-pon!" Or maybe not; do they ever chant "Ni-hon" at sporting events? I don't actually know Japanese...

Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Why are they still scared of SARS though ?
    Are you referring to the facial masks? They wear them all over East Asia, though I don't know why.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    They would be chanting "Nip-pon! Nip-pon!" Or maybe not; do they ever chant "Ni-hon" at sporting events? I don't actually know Japanese...

Are you referring to the facial masks? They wear them all over East Asia, though I don't know why.
    Yes, I saw it last year in Hong kong, it's to avoid germs, And probably a behavioural residue from the early 2000s

Kinda like Polish jews are with control

On the Ice
    People wear the masks in Japan if they have a cold so they don't infect other people. Very considerate Also, people wear the masks if they have allergies. Allergy season has begun here in Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Has not heard any words like Nippon or Nihon through Japanese live stream. They only "owww" or "waaaa" very nicely and clap loudly

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast