Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Cheers to the Japanese Crowds!

Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    They would be chanting "Nip-pon! Nip-pon!" Or maybe not; do they ever chant "Ni-hon" at sporting events? I don't actually know Japanese...

Are you referring to the facial masks? They wear them all over East Asia, though I don't know why.
    Some people are afraid of catching cold or giving cold to someone.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Has not heard any words like Nippon or Nihon through Japanese live stream. They only "owww" or "waaaa" very nicely and clap loudly
    Nippon/Nihon is the Japanese name for Japan. It would be their equivalent of Russians chanting "Ro-ssi-ya"

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Nippon/Nihon is the Japanese name for Japan. It would be their equivalent of Russians chanting "Ro-ssi-ya"
    I know because I studied Japanese for a while, my Japanese is tedious because it has been a long time and I can't read Kanji anymore. But I know what I have heard from the live stream. They only "Ohhhh" or "wowww".

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Some people are afraid of catching cold or giving cold to someone.
    Yep, in my country people also use facial masks when they go out. I guess it's pretty common for Asian people.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I know because I studied Japanese for a while, my Japanese is tedious because it has been a long time and I can't read Kanji anymore. But I know what I have heard from the live stream. They only "Ohhhh" or "wowww".
    I actually just meant that if they wanted to be all "patriotic" like the Sochi crowd, they wouldn't chant "Ja-pan." I wasn't saying that they were chanting it.

Rinkside
    The Chinese CCTV commentator also spoke very highly of the professional, friendly and passionate crowds! She said they are so unique and it could hardly happen in any other counties except for U.S. and Japan. What really impressed me is that the Japanese crows reacted so cheerful after Carolina just made a excellent sp performance, who might be the biggest rival to Mao in some degree.

I wish there were a way to let the Japanese crowd know how much they are appreciated by even just the skating fans on the other side of the world watching on tv! I want to give them all a hug...I couldn't think of anything else so I tweeted my thanks to one skater's Japanese fan twitter - I had to get it out!!!

Custom Title
    I am so thankful for the Japanese crowd.

Funny how the number of clean skates have also been significantly higher than Sochi, too. Obviously there was Olympic pressure, but you can't help but wonder if a supportive crowd brings out the best in skaters (captain obvious says yes).

Nice to see a crowd who lauds the skating before they laud the placements.

Banned
    Makes the contrast with Sochi even more obvious and striking

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Yes, it's literally like going from hell to heaven.

Banned
    AND there is such overt warmth being shown to skaters who have indicated that they will be retiring after this season finale event. Further evidence of a decent and knowledgeable crowd. It is what ALL of the athletes deserve. Embarrassing to not see even shades of this at an event on the level of the Olympic Games

Rinkside
    In Japan, "BAD" manners of japanese figure skating fans are hot topic right now!
    Triggerd by women who shouted "Yuzu Aishiteru~~!!(I Love Yooooou!!)" just immediately before Hanyu began to skate his SP.
    Media and people say figure skaters are athletes not pop idols. I also agree.
    So thanks for your appreciation but we are still learning.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by r1kubu View Post
    In Japan, "BAD" manners of japanese figure skating fans are hot topic right now!
    Triggerd by women who shouted "Yuzu Aishiteru~~!!(I Love Yooooou!!)" just immediately before Hanyu began to skate his SP.
    This is what make Japanese Unique. They are big on the manner perspectives. One mishap from an eager audience is not a big deal, especially compare to the recent OG. You guys are the best as it is. Don't worry about it.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    And that never happened for Daisuke? But then the aunties are maybe more reserved than the young fangirls, haha. I like that they are enthusiastic but it shouldn't impact the concentration. It was great how that worked for Mao.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by r1kubu View Post
    Not a sin at all in the over-all scheme of things, and Yuzuru did say the "shoutout" didn't affect his concentration. If you say you are still learning, many have to learn a lot from you. Kudos

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast