Should Mao have attempted the 3-3 in the short? | Golden Skate

Should Mao have attempted the 3-3 in the short?

CarneAsada

Medalist
She's been in maybe the top jumping condition of her life since the start of Sochi practices. She's definitely been in the best mental state of her life since the Sochi LP. Her 3-3 in practice looked even better than in Sochi. As things stand she is in the lead with a new WR after doing 3A, 3-2, and 3F, but Carolina Kostner is just about 1.4 points behind her thanks to her 3-3 and her Yuna Kim Nationals-level PCS. The WR is nice, but Mao could have broken 80 with a 3A and a 3-3. And being the first to do 4 triples in the SP means a lot more than having a WR by 0.16 points (to me at least, though some bean-counter fans might disagree and claim that having the top numerical scores matters more than what you actually do on the ice). Should she have attempted it?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Personally I think not... a bit risky at this point... and "If it aint broke, don't fix it!"

But she should totally NOT retire... keep up these confidence building performances... and go for a 4-triple SP next season! :-D

PS. I do agree that a world "first" is better than a WR score, because being the first to do something is everlasting (whereas WR's will be broken). And I note that Mao has a LOT of "world's first" records already...!

Iscariot

On the Ice
She only need Carolina's components to get 80 sadly i dont see that happening even in the free

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
That would have been great wo watch, but I also go with No. I think going clean and landing the triple axel is the most important thing. For her mental state it certainly seems to be. Yes, Carolina is close but that was mainly due to higher PCS. If she repeats Sochi LP (which will be VERY hard to do) with 3-3 I see no need to do it in the short.

It may be selfish but as Mao is only 23 and getting better, seeing that kind of short program with 3A and 3-3 combi next season would be awesome for the fans and it seems possible right now.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think she'd have to train the different layout, because she would likely do a 3F-3Lo and so her solo jump would have to be different. Another reason for her to stay longer and try to break 8o next season. :yes:

sk8in

Match Penalty
If she's smart she'll focus on adding doubles to her tiples in the bonus section of her long.

JayW

Final Flight
It is Mao, we never know.
It is all about her mentality of the moment right after her 3A. If she succeeds the 3A, she may as well just pull the trigger of 3F-3L and the rest for sure will be fantabulous. She could have a gargantuan score.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think her main focus was on doing a great and clean SP to set herself up in position to win. Especialy after her SP performance in Sochi cost her an Olympic gold medal. Adding a 2nd huge risk along with the 3 axel to worry about, was just something she didnt want to do, and understandably so.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Seeing how Mao and Carolina looked today I hope their recent suggestions of continuing are true. I would love nothing more than to see both those incredible women skate another 4 years, especialy with Yu Na retired and the womens field already losing her. Those russian wonderbabies, other than Radianova who I like, are about as much fun to watch as paint peeling.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Yes absolutely because kostner will probably win now because of better tech and pcs for free skates

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
What was Kostner's score at the Olympics? One of the things I'm wondering is if Mao's FS score will shoot up, simply for being out of Sochi.

Of course Mao's FS score will shoot up (if she delivers). She beat Kostner in the LP at the Olympics even with relatively held-down PCS and two < calls.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
What was Kostner's score at the Olympics? One of the things I'm wondering is if Mao's FS score will shoot up, simply for being out of Sochi.

It was within a point of Mao. Mao got 142.71 and Caro 142.61. If you add Mao's record short program score from Worlds and Olympic Free score together, she still wouldn't have beat Adelina. So much for chances at the OGM. Never would've happened.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It was within a point of Mao. Mao got 142.71 and Caro 142.61. If you add Mao's record short program score from Worlds and Olympic Free score together, she still wouldn't have beat Adelina. So much for chances at the OGM. Never would've happened.

She would've gotten final group pcs

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Mao's LP score would have been way higher skating in the final flight. It would be pretty much impossible to score below 150 in fact, even by the corrupt Sochi panel. Had Mao done her worlds SP and Olympic LP and didnt win....boy if the Sotbots and Russians think the heat is hot now it would be nothing compared to the fury had that set of events occured. Mind you if she does her Olympic LP at worlds in Japan the score wont be the mere 152ish score it would have been in the final flight in Sochi by the currupt Putin Panel, but more like 160+.