2014 Worlds - Ladies Free Skating

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Too bad I cannot stay up for lady's free. Besides the much liked Mao and Caro, I really hope Anna and Julia can bring Russian three spots next year.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I hope all the top ladies deliver like they did in the Short,
That would be an amazing show, And probably leave the placings the same.

Looking at Yulia's rise this season, She had:

A wonderful clean Free at SC: 131
A wonderful clean Free at Europeans : 138

A wonderful clean Free at Olympics Team : 142

I'd call that about enough, But seeing her SP result, Is it possible for her to gain a few more points ?
I guess it'll have to do with the way the others have skated before her too.

Hoping this one is kept between the two titans ;) Yulia can rule the skating world from next year onward,
If she keeps her consistency and flexibility, She'll be good for the sport IMO.

Go Wagner !!

Crossing fingers for another WR, But will saddle for a good Podium

I agree about SC and Euros, but she had 139 at Europeans. However, even though they were both clean performances, Yulia's base value jumped at Euros because she put the 2A-3 and 3-2-2 combination in the second half where she received more points. Her score was also slightly lower than it could have been because she flutzed both times at Euros, while at SC she flutzed once. At SC her TES lowered to 70(?) points, but at Euros it lowered from 73.45 to 71.75.
At Europeans, the jumps, spins and choreo as a whole were smoother and better skated, at least I thought so. But at the Olympics she shouldn't have scored more than 139, even with inflation it should only been equal to her best skate.

Good luck, Yulia!!! Steal the World title with a fabulous skate. Or at least the silver.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
McCorkell has withdrawn, according to the official ISU page. Anyone know why?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Just went onto Facebook, and this was the first thing in my news feed. So, I came in here to let you know but, as usual, Golden Skate members are quick on the ball, and you already knew! ;) :biggrin:

So, here is the reason, as posted on Jenna's Facebook profile:

Absolutely devastated to have to withdraw from the free skate of the world championships in Japan. I tore my hamstring during the short programme, we did everything we could over the past 2 days but I am in too much pain to compete. Thank you to everyone for all your support and I will have great memories of my short programme here! Xx

Source: https://www.facebook.com/jenna.mccorkell/posts/10152313966306885

Jenna has made the right decision. It is better not to risk doing yourself any serious damage for the sake of one more performance.

Jenna, it may not be the way you or your fans wanted you to bow out, but we can all reflect on the many successes you have had in your career. 11 National Championships is no mean feat! And a couple of wins on the International stage as well are just the icing on the cake.

Over the past decade and a half, you have done a great job in representing Northern Ireland. Figure skating may not be a mainstream sport here, and you may not have got as much recognition as you deserved in the media. But we, your friends and fans, are proud of what you have done to put "Our Wee Country" on the map.

We have lived through the good times, and the bad times, but we have still supported you through it all.

Thank you Jenna

CaroLiza_fan

Chrissy

Rinkside
Good luck to Mao Asada! Hope she wins the title! Also best wishes to Gracie Gold. I hope she does make it to the podium. I love Julia also - - - she is so matured beyond her years in skating!

tulosai

Record Breaker
sorry if it's answered before but when does this start? soon? trying to decide if i want to kill myself and stay up.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
UK EUROSPORT stream? (...so I can follow english analysts!)

Welcome aboard!! Usually a little closer to the events some posters put up the links we need. I think they are in the Worlds Coverage thread.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?49245-Worlds-coverage/page8

Those links may change and often do per event so you may need different ones that are posted now. Caroliza_fan has been my savior all year!!

Awwww!!! THANK YOU SAM!!! Your kind words really mean a lot to me!

And to answer the question:

Eurosport Nederland (All times CET)

Saturday 29th March 2014
ESP1 08:30 – 09:15 Short Dance
ESP1 09:15 – 13:00 Ladies Free LIVE
ESP1 13:00 – 14:30 Free Dance

Eurosport Deutschland (All times CET)

Saturday 29th March 2014
ESP1 08:30 – 09:15 Short Dance

Eurosport France (All times CET)

Saturday 29th March 2014
ESP1 13:00 – 14:30 Free Dance

British Eurosport (All times GMT)

Saturday 29th March 2014
BES1 07:30 – 08:15 Short Dance
BES1 08:15 – 12:00 Ladies Free LIVE
BES1 12:00 – 13:30 Free Dance
BES1 16:15 – 17:30 Ladies Free
BES1 17:30 – 18:45 Free Dance

Just to let you know that today's coverage is exactly the same as originally advertised (for a change). It all kicks off in about 25 minutes with a repeat of the Short Dance highlights, and will be followed by LIVE coverage of the Ladies FS in its entirity, with highlights of this morning's Free Dance following.

Here are today's livestreams, brought to you in association with Ana, and her super-duper mop (put on the ESP1 Intl stream before 07:30 GMT, and you'll see what I mean!):

Eurosport 1 International livestream
British Eurosport 1 livestream

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

tulosai

Record Breaker
thanks all i'll prob skip the first group and join you guys in around 2.5 then :) unless i sleep through my alarm. it has happened before :(

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I skated myself 30 years ago. After 2006 Olympics was absolutely indifferent to the sport. Yulia brought the excitement back. I was literally crying seeing her skating. So my best wishes and hopes to her. However, got to admit that if Mao skates the same as in Sochi, she is going to have 150-152 and will be unreachable. And good luck to her as well. No wish for Yulia's victory at the expense of Mao. Carolina is very very nice but sort of standard. My "fair" podium: Mao, Yulia, Caro.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
So sad about Jenna. She may not be one of the top skaters points-wise, but I think she's one of those skaters you can see the passion and love for what they do when the perform. I'll miss her for that. :cry:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm actually contemplating purchasing a Rotorazer! Apparently it's the most cost efficient saw and I can even cut upside down with it for some reason that becomes necessary. Honestly is this infomercial always on?

I really need to figure out if I want to remove my Pop-Up blocker so I can meet Ana!! Must admit I've grown quite curious.

Trewyn

Medalist
I won't be able to watch the ladies today, but GO ASHLEY! Even if a medal isn't really possible, I hope she rocks that Samson&Delilah program (probably last time she does it) and helps keep 3 spots for the US.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I would like to see Gracie pull an upset for 3rd, not necessarily because I love her skating, but because I miss the days when the American ladies were at the top of the field.

Perhaps in the future, but not now. She is not there yet although she has the goods. First though, she ought to skip that disney princess look. That is really what I dislike about Carroll's preference to turn all his skaters into the classic american princess. I much prefer the feisty energy of Debi Thomas and the athleticism of a Tonya Harding or the competitiveness of Kristie Yamaguchi. I think Gracie is at heart a technical skater and should not be forced into the princess mode. If anything, I think Polina Edmunds look to have the better chance in the future once she matures.

qwertyskates

Medalist

chairmanmao

Final Flight
I agree about SC and Euros, but she had 139 at Europeans. However, even though they were both clean performances, Yulia's base value jumped at Euros because she put the 2A-3 and 3-2-2 combination in the second half where she received more points. Her score was also slightly lower than it could have been because she flutzed both times at Euros, while at SC she flutzed once. At SC her TES lowered to 70(?) points, but at Euros it lowered from 73.45 to 71.75.
At Europeans, the jumps, spins and choreo as a whole were smoother and better skated, at least I thought so. But at the Olympics she shouldn't have scored more than 139, even with inflation it should only been equal to her best skate.

Good luck, Yulia!!! Steal the World title with a fabulous skate. Or at least the silver.

I like her European FS layout. I feel it was more balanced with the 2A-3T in the second half. I don't like the 2A-3T-2T right after 3Lz-3T.