Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Worlds - Ladies Free Skating

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchii View Post
    I cannot wait to watch, hoping Mao can set another WR

cheering for the Japanese ladies and Carolina!
    If Mao skates clean, she will definitely break the FS WR.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by cuon_alpinus View Post
    And when top 3 gets 220 and higher at this world's, people will start feeling that Adelina's score wasn't that high... ISU's plan to keep people from saying "inflated scores".
    All these scores are to cover up the inflated scores in Sochi....
    It's not inflation per se.
    I remember the Euroosport guys telling during the Europeans that the judges were instructed to use the whole scale of PCS for ladies (just like they do for other disciplines) and not to cap them as they used to do.
    So you will see a rise in PCS...

On the Ice
    And when top 3 gets 220 and higher at this world's, people will start feeling that Adelina's score wasn't that high... ISU's plan to keep people from saying "inflated scores".
    I think it's partly this and also wanting to bring excitement to the sport. World record being broken is exciting. Higher scores are exciting. Expect higher scores going forward.

Sending positive vibes to Ovcharova for a clean skate!

Custom Title
    I've long noticed that it's a trend in this sport for judges to get more generous with the PCS scores over time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jump View Post
    I think it's partly this and also wanting to bring excitement to the sport. World record being broken is exciting. Higher scores are exciting. Expect higher scores going forward.
    I agree with you on the excitement of breaking the world record. However, will you still be excited if the world record is broken every time by the judges not the skater? This judging system is so unstable and has no standard. Not to pick up on specific skater but What's up with Carolina Kostner's score on this competition compared to one in Olympic? They are the same but this one has three more score. Three more score is a lot. All the top single ladies broke their personal records. I agree that scores should increase over time, but it increases too fast and too much right now. You should agree with me if you are long time skating fan. I think they should change the grading system without anonymous judging and with stable and fair grading system. Moreover, we as a fan should look more on the artistry and performance itself instead of getting excited on the world record. If you are watching figure skating because of excitement of increasing the score or breaking the record, I don't think you are not appreciating figure skating enough. Furthermore, the sports like swimming, running, short track, etc has standard judging system, thus it provides the audiences with greater joy on breaking the world record.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    The SP was one of the best competitions in recent memory to some. I'm not that old keep in mind. Can't we just let the judges do their thing and just enjoy the show? I hope the FS is half as good. Ill be content regardless of what the judges do.

In terms of excitement I'm all for it. Of course I want to see artistry. That said...I've followed every single one of Yulia's performances since Skate Canada and love that my heart races at every jumping pass. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate Akiko's far superior artistic presentation. It just means I love FS.

Go Mao and Go Yulia! Best wishes to the rest and all of their fans!

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    The SP was one of the best competitions in recent memory to some. I'm not that old keep in mind. Can't we just let the judges do their thing and just enjoy the show? I hope the FS is half as good. Ill be content regardless of what the judges do.

In terms of excitement I'm all for it. Of course I want to see artistry. That said...I've followed every single one of Yulia's performances since Skate Canada and love that my heart races at every jumping pass. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate Akiko's far superior artistic presentation. It just means I love FS.

Go Mao and Go Yulia! Best wishes to the rest and all of their fans!
    Agreed! We all have our favorites, but even if the judges under/overscore I always attempt to be happy for whoever wins, even if they weren't a personal favorite. I try to focus more on the skating than the scores anyway, personally. It's more fun that way.

Custom Title
    I hope Caro breaks the FS world record, so that Mao and Caro both have a WR, and I hope they tie, and that all the tie-breakers fail, so that they share the title and both get gold medals

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I♥Yuna View Post
    I hope Caro breaks the FS world record, so that Mao and Caro both have a WR, and I hope they tie, and that all the tie-breakers fail, so that they share the title and both get gold medals
    ^Yes!!!!

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Can't we just let the judges do their thing and just enjoy the show?
    No.

The standard of judging in figure skating is pretty piss-poor and the judging system is still very undeveloped. Why accept this crap when we could be doing much better, with some effort?

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    No.

The standard of judging in figure skating is pretty piss-poor and the judging system is still very undeveloped. Why accept this crap when we could be doing much better, with some effort?
    Mainly because whining and complaining on an internet board won't change things. Might as well keep it fun and respectful (which some posters manage to do even when criticizing scores, others... less so).

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Mainly because whining and complaining on an internet board won't change things. Might as well keep it fun and respectful (which some posters manage to do even when criticizing scores, others... less so).
    I can totally understand thinking that it's a fight not worth fighting for but I could never pretend that things are ok when I think that they aren't. #powertothepeople

It might not change anything but it will at least release the pressure, which is clinically proven to have beneficial effects on your mental health.

And I wouldn't be that pessimistic. The only way anything ever changes is because somebody has conceptualised it raised it and then pushed for it.

Rinkside
    Good luck to Mao and Tracie Gold!

Rinkside
    Skating is always going to be subjective regardless of the system used to judge it, and on top of that you have all the silly nationalism and/or fan-boys and fan-girls.

It's all useless wasted energy (at-least for a spectator), better to just enjoy the performances IMHO

Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast