2014 Worlds - Ladies Free Skating | Page 77 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Ladies Free Skating

hurrah

Medalist
Reading these posts, you would think that Mao kowtows at her takeoff, which in fact is NOT the case. Alot of skaters have the SLIGHT bending forward at takeoff, and so why is Mao's technique being oh so singled out here? And if you're gonna mention Mao's slight bend forward, why not mention Mao's superior setup edges and superior air position in the same breath?

Sheesh.

minze

Medalist
Reading these posts, you would think that Mao kowtows at her takeoff, which in fact is NOT the case. Alot of skaters have the SLIGHT bending forward at takeoff, and so why is Mao's technique being oh so singled out here? And if you're gonna mention Mao's slight bend forward, why not mention Mao's superior setup edges and superior air position in the same breath?

Sheesh.

Because the person making those comments is a Mao hater simple. I just cant believe people are engaging him HERE. This thread is for everyone who participated in worlds. And this person and others manage to make it about Mao's techniques. Sheesh. Open another thread,but to use a thread that is about ladies performance to spread this....

Components

Match Penalty
Why does pointing out deficiencies in a skater's skating, technique, whatever.... automatically make one a hater.

Isn't that just as disgusting as calling someone a <skater>bot?

minze

Medalist
Why does pointing out deficiencies in a skater's skating, technique, whatever.... automatically make one a hater.

No what makes ONE a hater is always point out the deficiencies of ONLY ONE SKATER. And using a thread about Everyone's performance to say the same thing over and over. I said open another thread, but to highjack one where the performance of other skaters should be disscussed is annoying

Also, this particular person had a whole thread about the subject in the mainbaord, he or she could go back a refresh that one.

FS_rrb

On the Ice

Pointing out deficiencies of one skater at some particular point of a conversation does not make someone a hater. However, after reading several comments you can get an idea of the poster's intentions. I'm a Mao fan and I'm a Yuna fan too, and after having read tons of comments from haters from one side and the other it is not that difficult to identify those who just want to point out some technical issues and those who want to attack a skater. You can say that Mao has a tendency to underotate her axel or that it lacks power in comparison to the men's, and you can say that Yuna tends too gesticulate too much for your taste...however when someone states that Mao is unable to jump a triple axel and underotates every single jump she attemps or Yuna has fake artistry, then you start to doubt the poster's intention. And I apologize for mentioning Yuna here, just an example.

treeloving

Medalist
No what makes ONE a hater is always point out the deficiencies of ONLY ONE SKATER. And using a thread about Everyone's performance to say the same thing over and over. I said open another thread, but to highjack one where the performance of other skaters should be disscussed is annoying

Also, this particular person had a whole thread about the subject in the mainbaord, he or she could go back a refresh that one.

:thumbsup: Agree, and it is quite annoying.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Ito had a Lip and tended to wrap a lot of her jumps.

The wrap doesn't mean anything at all for her jumps. That's just her style. It wasn't a bad air position problem and it made sense given her immense amplitude on the jumps. She didn't really Lip either, she rolls back onto the inside edge by the time of the takeoff.

Her jumps deserved massive +GOE most of the time. No female has ever done a 2Axel, 3Axel, 3Toe+3Toe, or 2Loop+3Loop as well as she did. You also have to realize that new, better methods would have been used in her coaching if she came up 25 years later. She would be even better. It's not wise of you to compare her to the current day.

lcd

Match Penalty
Trying to gauge which disciplines have the most fan poster haters. Ladies is winning this season.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I really love watching people jump with leg wraps. Looks so much nicer in the air. And Midori's leg wrap was so beautiful.

Take her 3Axel from my favorite program she ever did (which happened to be a professional comp) at around :50 seconds in : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dg3jlLS9W4

Such a beautiful leg wrap. <3 It's even more pronounced in the double loop and double axel she does near the end. (And she did a triple-triple here too. Really wish they still had pro comps where the pros had to keep up their technique.)

I know people in forums criticize leg wraps as incorrect, but I love them.

Yep, I like her leg wrap too.

If I was comparing leg wraps, Midori's is far superior though. :laugh:

Yukari's leg wraps scared me to death. I kept worrying that she would somehow tangle herself in midair and drop like a stone onto the ice. Midori's weren't so extreme, so they didn't give me anxiousness. Besides, she was so astonishingly gifted that a little leg wrap couldn't have stopped her.

David21

On the Ice
The wrap doesn't mean anything at all for her jumps. That's just her style. It wasn't a bad air position problem and it made sense given her immense amplitude on the jumps.

Leg wrapping is still a quality issue on a jump and can be deducted by the judges. It doesn't matter if it was Ito's style or not. There are plenty of big jumpers who don't leg wrap so that's not a reason to do it.