2014-2015 GP predictions | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GP predictions

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hubbell/Donohue won 4CC this year and were 5th at 4CC last year; had 2 GP events this year and medaled at one, and had two GP events last year. Orford/Williams were 5th at 2014 4CC and 6th at 2013 4CC and had one GP this year and two last year.

Paul/Islam went to 4CC in 2012, which will be wiped; had no GP events or ISU International in 2012-2013, and just one GP event this season in addition to their World points.

That's why H/D and O/W outrank P/I at this point.

Anyway, it's the top 24 that count, not the top 26.

Here are the next ones on the list:

26 1386 YANOVSKAYA/MOZGOV - have already said they plan to remain Junior
27 1281 McNAMARA/CARPENTER - same as above
28 1234 TOBIAS/STAGNIUNAS
29 1227 EDWARDS/PANG - also remaining junior
30 1202 PAUL/ISLAM
31 1200 KRIENGKRAIRUT/GIULIETTI-SCHMITT - retiring
32 1134 NAZAROVA/NIKITIN - aged out of juniors
33 1131RALPH/HILL

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Yes, that makes sense. That's what I was getting at in my post, and your logical analysis provides further detail. :)

It's not as surprising to see H&D ahead of P&I in the rankings (although they have missed 2 Worlds now) because they are a solid team. But ISU rankings often don't reflect the real strength of certain skaters, because in reality, O&W aren't a stronger team than P&I (as we saw this year) and yet they will remain ahead in the ISU rankings for a while.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, that makes sense. That's what I was getting at in my post, and your logical analysis provides further detail. :)

It's not as surprising to see H&D ahead of P&I in the rankings (although they have missed 2 Worlds now) because they are a solid team. But ISU rankings often don't reflect the real strength of certain skaters, because in reality, O&W aren't a stronger team than P&I (as we saw this year) and yet they will remain ahead in the ISU rankings for a while.

Teams that have a lot of senior B events also tend to rank high as well. And you have to remember that ISU rankings are a cumulative of three seasons. O/W fared OK in the 2012-2013 season.

Last edited:

wishonastar

On the Ice
Hubbell/Donohue won 4CC this year and were 5th at 4CC last year; had 2 GP events this year and medaled at one, and had two GP events last year. Orford/Williams were 5th at 2014 4CC and 6th at 2013 4CC and had one GP this year and two last year.

Paul/Islam went to 4CC in 2012, which will be wiped; had no GP events or ISU International in 2012-2013, and just one GP event this season in addition to their World points.

That's why H/D and O/W outrank P/I at this point.

Anyway, it's the top 24 that count, not the top 26.

Here are the next ones on the list:

26 1386 YANOVSKAYA/MOZGOV - have already said they plan to remain Junior
27 1281 McNAMARA/CARPENTER - same as above
28 1234 TOBIAS/STAGNIUNAS
29 1227 EDWARDS/PANG - also remaining junior
30 1202 PAUL/ISLAM
31 1200 KRIENGKRAIRUT/GIULIETTI-SCHMITT - retiring
32 1134 NAZAROVA/NIKITIN - aged out of juniors
33 1131RALPH/HILL

I don't believe H/D last year were on either the 4 CC or Worlds teams. However, as you stated, the past two seasons they have had 2 GP's each year, plus medaled at SC and won 4 CC this season.

I agree with Mrs. P-skaters in some countries seem to do 3 or more Senior B's. I believe you can use the top two scores on these, which is why it may seem strange to see what would be seen as a "lower ranked" team is skill level is still higher up in the rankings. Since most B's are held in Europe, it is common for those skaters to take advantage of them. US and Canada should do the same and send skaters to two B's (though spreading the wealth seems to be the way they do it).

fruitbasket

Rinkside
16 yr. old from south korea, so youn skates impressive at 2014 world. if she continues to improve for next four years, she will be the medal contender at 2018 pungchang.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
16 yr. old from south korea, so youn skates impressive at 2014 world. if she continues to improve for next four years, she will be the medal contender at 2018 pungchang.

She better not go back to her nightmare at the Olympics this year

I want to see her progress like this

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't believe H/D last year were on either the 4 CC or Worlds teams. However, as you stated, the past two seasons they have had 2 GP's each year, plus medaled at SC and won 4 CC this season.

I agree with Mrs. P-skaters in some countries seem to do 3 or more Senior B's. I believe you can use the top two scores on these, which is why it may seem strange to see what would be seen as a "lower ranked" team is skill level is still higher up in the rankings. Since most B's are held in Europe, it is common for those skaters to take advantage of them. US and Canada should do the same and send skaters to two B's (though spreading the wealth seems to be the way they do it).

USFS rarely sends the same team to more than one Senior B, but usually sends several pair and dance teams to a number of B events during the year. Early season B events may be in preparation for GP events or a reward for good performance in summer events for skaters/teams who don't have GP events.

Canada is quite a bit more sparing with B assignments. Usually they go to skaters/teams who finished well at Nationals but didn't get GP assignments

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Canada is quite a bit more sparing with B assignments. Usually they go to skaters/teams who finished well at Nationals but didn't get GP assignments

Yes, the non-GP assignments are usually given to Canadian skaters who either finished off the podium or outside the top 5, or new skaters/teams that haven't yet competed at Nationals.

Over the past couple years when P&I and R&H didn't make the podium, they were given non-GP events in addition to Skate Canada.

In the first season when G&P became a team before they competed at Nationals and before Piper was released to do international assignments, they were given a couple non-GP events.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I'm getting really excited for the GP assignments! I'm really curious where Polina Edmonds will end up skating, in particular.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Still more than a month to go! *sigh*

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I heard that Kanako was staying in for at least one more year because she wasn't happy with her performances at Olympics or Worlds.

That's wonderful news. :) Hopefully she gets her UR issues under control... I think she might even make the GPF if she manages to do so. She's certainly favoured to win Japanese Nationals if Mao isn't there.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
That's wonderful news. :) Hopefully she gets her UR issues under control... I think she might even make the GPF if she manages to do so. She's certainly favoured to win Japanese Nationals if Mao isn't there.

Agree. I'm not the biggest fan of her skating (I did enjoy her 2014 4CC skate), but it would seem crazy for her to drop out now when she seemingly has such a great chance at the Japanese championship next year.

How will all the changes in partnerships affect the seedings for pairs and dancers? Can anyone analyze this for me? I'm still learning all these seeding rules. If a pair splits, have they forfeited their spot?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A split pair/dance team forfeits seeded status. Those teams high on the SB list who have repartnered would get GP invitations if the rules for past GPs remain the same; those who hadn't partnered before the GP selection session on June 27 would be placed on a substitute list once they did establish a new partnership.

The seeds would currently be:

PAIRS
1. Stolbova / Klimov RUS
2. Duhamel / Radford CAN
3. Peng / Zhang CHN
4. Sui / Han CHN
5. Antipova / Maisuradze RUS
6. James / Cipres FRA

DANCE
1. Cappellini / Lanotte ITA
2. Weaver / Poje CAN
3. Chock / Bates USA
4. Shibutani / Shibutani USA
5. Gilles / Poirier CAN
6. Coomes / Buckland GBR

flutzy13

On the Ice
I'm getting really excited for the GP assignments! I'm really curious where Polina Edmonds will end up skating, in particular.

I'm predicting SA and TEB for Gracie, Canada an Russia for Polina and NHK and China for Ashley.

The pairs seed list is just beyond depressing

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If the USFSA doesn't assign Skate America to Gracie and Jason, they've got rocks in their heads.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
If the USFSA doesn't assign Skate America to Gracie and Jason, they've got rocks in their heads.

Oh, when they announced Skate America in Chicago, I knew from that moment Gracie and Jason would be skating there.

I'm considering going, actually.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, when they announced Skate America in Chicago, I knew from that moment Gracie and Jason would be skating there.

I'm considering going, actually.

Gracie as defending National champion was going to be at SA no matter where it was being held unless she didn't want it.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think Jason will end up at Skate America because the USFSA likes to parade their National Champion at home (like last year with Max) and since Jeremy is not continuing, Jason is the de facto National Champion.

It would not surprise me to then see Max or Joshua get one of the other spots, probably Joshua since he's not guaranteed two spots but he was 4th at Nationals.

And of all the options listed, I hope Douglas Razzano gets the other spot. Or Alexander Johnson!

For Jason's second GP, I'd like to see him at NHK for purely selfish reasons, since I think the Japanese fans would just lap him up and if that's going to increase his earning potential via shows then I'm all for it.

Joshua might end up at CoR again - maybe for the match-up factor with Kovtun? Junior Rivals on the Senior Stage? It didn't happen last year because of Josh's sprained ankle, but it would be interesting to see how they went head-to-head.

Max got NHK and SkAm last year. Confidence-wise, NHK might not be a good idea next year. He was 7th at NHK but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the number made out because of the pure strength of the NHK field.

But....I don't think Jeremy has officially decided to retire yet, has he? Since I have tickets I do hope Jason will perform, but based on Worlds, don't want to get my hopes up just yet. ....