Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 GP predictions

Custom Title
    Hubbell/Donohue won 4CC this year and were 5th at 4CC last year; had 2 GP events this year and medaled at one, and had two GP events last year. Orford/Williams were 5th at 2014 4CC and 6th at 2013 4CC and had one GP this year and two last year.

Paul/Islam went to 4CC in 2012, which will be wiped; had no GP events or ISU International in 2012-2013, and just one GP event this season in addition to their World points.

That's why H/D and O/W outrank P/I at this point.

Anyway, it's the top 24 that count, not the top 26.

Here are the next ones on the list:

26 1386 YANOVSKAYA/MOZGOV - have already said they plan to remain Junior
    27 1281 McNAMARA/CARPENTER - same as above
    28 1234 TOBIAS/STAGNIUNAS
    29 1227 EDWARDS/PANG - also remaining junior
    30 1202 PAUL/ISLAM
    31 1200 KRIENGKRAIRUT/GIULIETTI-SCHMITT - retiring
    32 1134 NAZAROVA/NIKITIN - aged out of juniors
    33 1131RALPH/HILL

Custom Title
    Yes, that makes sense. That's what I was getting at in my post, and your logical analysis provides further detail.

It's not as surprising to see H&D ahead of P&I in the rankings (although they have missed 2 Worlds now) because they are a solid team. But ISU rankings often don't reflect the real strength of certain skaters, because in reality, O&W aren't a stronger team than P&I (as we saw this year) and yet they will remain ahead in the ISU rankings for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    Yes, that makes sense. That's what I was getting at in my post, and your logical analysis provides further detail.

It's not as surprising to see H&D ahead of P&I in the rankings (although they have missed 2 Worlds now) because they are a solid team. But ISU rankings often don't reflect the real strength of certain skaters, because in reality, O&W aren't a stronger team than P&I (as we saw this year) and yet they will remain ahead in the ISU rankings for a while.
    Teams that have a lot of senior B events also tend to rank high as well. And you have to remember that ISU rankings are a cumulative of three seasons. O/W fared OK in the 2012-2013 season.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 04-01-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Hubbell/Donohue won 4CC this year and were 5th at 4CC last year; had 2 GP events this year and medaled at one, and had two GP events last year. Orford/Williams were 5th at 2014 4CC and 6th at 2013 4CC and had one GP this year and two last year.

Paul/Islam went to 4CC in 2012, which will be wiped; had no GP events or ISU International in 2012-2013, and just one GP event this season in addition to their World points.

That's why H/D and O/W outrank P/I at this point.

Anyway, it's the top 24 that count, not the top 26.

Here are the next ones on the list:

26 1386 YANOVSKAYA/MOZGOV - have already said they plan to remain Junior
    27 1281 McNAMARA/CARPENTER - same as above
    28 1234 TOBIAS/STAGNIUNAS
    29 1227 EDWARDS/PANG - also remaining junior
    30 1202 PAUL/ISLAM
    31 1200 KRIENGKRAIRUT/GIULIETTI-SCHMITT - retiring
    32 1134 NAZAROVA/NIKITIN - aged out of juniors
    33 1131RALPH/HILL

I don't believe H/D last year were on either the 4 CC or Worlds teams. However, as you stated, the past two seasons they have had 2 GP's each year, plus medaled at SC and won 4 CC this season.

I agree with Mrs. P-skaters in some countries seem to do 3 or more Senior B's. I believe you can use the top two scores on these, which is why it may seem strange to see what would be seen as a "lower ranked" team is skill level is still higher up in the rankings. Since most B's are held in Europe, it is common for those skaters to take advantage of them. US and Canada should do the same and send skaters to two B's (though spreading the wealth seems to be the way they do it).

On the Ice
    16 yr. old from south korea, so youn skates impressive at 2014 world. if she continues to improve for next four years, she will be the medal contender at 2018 pungchang.

Top 12 at Worlds get 2 spots (24)
    9.) So Youn Park

OMG yess

Quote Originally Posted by fruitbasket View Post
    16 yr. old from south korea, so youn skates impressive at 2014 world. if she continues to improve for next four years, she will be the medal contender at 2018 pungchang.
    She better not go back to her nightmare at the Olympics this year

I want to see her progress like this

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wishonastar View Post
    I don't believe H/D last year were on either the 4 CC or Worlds teams. However, as you stated, the past two seasons they have had 2 GP's each year, plus medaled at SC and won 4 CC this season.

I agree with Mrs. P-skaters in some countries seem to do 3 or more Senior B's. I believe you can use the top two scores on these, which is why it may seem strange to see what would be seen as a "lower ranked" team is skill level is still higher up in the rankings. Since most B's are held in Europe, it is common for those skaters to take advantage of them. US and Canada should do the same and send skaters to two B's (though spreading the wealth seems to be the way they do it).
    USFS rarely sends the same team to more than one Senior B, but usually sends several pair and dance teams to a number of B events during the year. Early season B events may be in preparation for GP events or a reward for good performance in summer events for skaters/teams who don't have GP events.

Canada is quite a bit more sparing with B assignments. Usually they go to skaters/teams who finished well at Nationals but didn't get GP assignments

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Canada is quite a bit more sparing with B assignments. Usually they go to skaters/teams who finished well at Nationals but didn't get GP assignments
    Yes, the non-GP assignments are usually given to Canadian skaters who either finished off the podium or outside the top 5, or new skaters/teams that haven't yet competed at Nationals.

Over the past couple years when P&I and R&H didn't make the podium, they were given non-GP events in addition to Skate Canada.

In the first season when G&P became a team before they competed at Nationals and before Piper was released to do international assignments, they were given a couple non-GP events.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    10.) Kanako Murakami --retiring?
    I heard that Kanako was staying in for at least one more year because she wasn't happy with her performances at Olympics or Worlds.

I'm getting really excited for the GP assignments! I'm really curious where Polina Edmonds will end up skating, in particular.

Custom Title
    Still more than a month to go! *sigh*

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Gia_Sesshoumaru View Post
    I heard that Kanako was staying in for at least one more year because she wasn't happy with her performances at Olympics or Worlds.
    That's wonderful news. Hopefully she gets her UR issues under control... I think she might even make the GPF if she manages to do so. She's certainly favoured to win Japanese Nationals if Mao isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    That's wonderful news. Hopefully she gets her UR issues under control... I think she might even make the GPF if she manages to do so. She's certainly favoured to win Japanese Nationals if Mao isn't there.
    Agree. I'm not the biggest fan of her skating (I did enjoy her 2014 4CC skate), but it would seem crazy for her to drop out now when she seemingly has such a great chance at the Japanese championship next year.

How will all the changes in partnerships affect the seedings for pairs and dancers? Can anyone analyze this for me? I'm still learning all these seeding rules. If a pair splits, have they forfeited their spot?

Custom Title
    A split pair/dance team forfeits seeded status. Those teams high on the SB list who have repartnered would get GP invitations if the rules for past GPs remain the same; those who hadn't partnered before the GP selection session on June 27 would be placed on a substitute list once they did establish a new partnership.

The seeds would currently be:

PAIRS
    1. Stolbova / Klimov RUS
    2. Duhamel / Radford CAN
    3. Peng / Zhang CHN
    4. Sui / Han CHN
    5. Antipova / Maisuradze RUS
    6. James / Cipres FRA

DANCE
    1. Cappellini / Lanotte ITA
    2. Weaver / Poje CAN
    3. Chock / Bates USA