2014-2015 GP predictions | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GP predictions

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There aren't any links existing any more, but I can give a quick rundown of how it works. Please note that the actual selection rules are what was in existence at the last GP. Those rules may have changed for this year. Because of the number of retirements and splits, there are many vacancies in the top 12 at Worlds and there may be new rules as to how that will be handled. However, the methods will probably always be the same (order of selection, drawing lots).

1. HOST PICKS

Host picks come first. Each host selects three of its own skaters/teams in each discipline. Some of these may be seeded skaters.

After the host picks, the actual selection rounds begin. Every selection round begins with the hosts drawing lots to determine which host gets the first selection.

2. SEED SELECTION (1-3)

The top seeds have previously been allowed to name the events they would prefer. The only restriction on this is if another top seed has been selected as a host pick, that preference cannot be satisfied because only one top seed is permitted per event. Each host country selects one top seed; the hosts will honor the seeds' preferences. Any host who has picked a top seed as a host pick will not participate in the selection round.

3. SEED SELECTION (4-6)

Each host country selects one seed; any host who has picked a seed as a host pick will not participate in the selection round.

4. TOP 12 WORLDS 2014 (7-9)

Each host country selects one skater/team from the 7-9 finishers at 2014 Worlds

5. TOP 12 WORLDS 2014 (10-12)

Each host country selects one skater/team from the 10-12 finishers at Worlds.

6. RETURNING SKATERS (e.g. Korpi, Kavaguti/Smirnov)

Each host country selects skaters/teams previously placed in the top 6 at Worlds over the past 3 seasons who have been absent from competition

7. TOP 24 WORLD RANKING

Each host country selects skaters/ teams from the top 24 on the ISU World Ranking list who have not already been selected

8. TOP 24 SEASONS BEST

Each host country selects skaters/ teams from the top 24 on the Seasons Best Total Scores list who have not already been selected

9. OTHER

(Depending on number of slots available) Each host country selects skaters/teams who have medaled at JW/JGPF or teams who have placed top 6 at a previous Worlds who have split and reteamed.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A little confusing, not your write up but the process, and very complicated. Those World Rankings and World Championship placements mean so much!! Thank you for taking the time to explain it

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I think Lipnitskaya choosing Skate America would be hilarious. Literally :rofl: Plus it might kick off the whole USA vs RUSSIA thing with a bang. Even if she doesn't win I'd still respect Yulia for having the gumption to attack Gracie's home event when she could. At some point she is going to likely end up here so...lets get it on!! Honestly as a big fan of hers....I wouldn't be surprised if she did something like that although and maybe unfortunately it's highly unlikely. I see NHK in her future and maybe TEB? I can't wait any longer!!! Must know :slink:

If Lipnitskaya did choose SA isn't there still a likelihood that NHK would select her to invite based on her popularity in Japan. Maybe a risk worthy of consideration, maybe not :confused2: Honestly I just want her away from CoR :yes:

Is it just coincidence that in the two years she's been on the senior GP she's gone to COC and TEB one year and then SC and COR the next?And since she gets to pick wouldn't she go for SA and NKH this year? In three years she would have attended all seven GP events.

Nevermind, I just read about the host picks. But does Gracie move up to top 1-3 seeds or is she still considered 4-6 because that's where she placed?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It appears Gracie and Yulia will not meet until at least GPF..assuming both make it.

World rankings I think are the top seeds not World Championship finish. Yulia can make her preference be known that she wants S/A but my guess is she will want NHK.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
I know faster than the glorious Omsond who lasted only two GP events in 2011
who cant stop falling 2 or 3 times in the FS

How about your precious Gracie who fell at EVERY SINGLE COMPETITION this season? I'd like to know why she can't stop falling

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Do we not think Russian will choose Yulia as one of their host picks? Or would they automatically go with Adelina since she is national champ? How have they used their host picks in the past?

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist

Kaetlyn was injured all season and consistently did her best.
Anyways, didn't Gracie fall at every single competition other than American Nats?
If the trend had stretched to there, Polina would be the national champ right now... :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^I think Gracie fell on her 3f in her FS at US Nats....Polina too. :slink:

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
^I think Gracie fell on her 3f in her FS at US Nats....Polina too. :slink:

Ooooh. I think you're right! I don't remember much of Nationals - the entire Mirai situation, though I agreed with the ultimate decision - absolutely devastated me. I could hardly watch the gala and haven't been able to rewatch any ladies programs since because I just feel the bile rising in my throat.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope you got to see Marai's Golden Pond.

In terms of predictions and the US ladies I just can't pick a favorite or maybe its the inability to identify anyone to put faith in. They seem to just flip flop in my mind from event to event. After Nationals Gracie was the American I liked especially after Ashley seemed so content on a Bronze at GPF which easily would have been 4th if Radinova hadn't fallen. Then after Worlds, even though Gracie placed higher, I was much more impressed with Ashley via the FS. Of all three of them Polina seems to be the only one I see making any real improvements going forward and going on an overall upward trend. The thing is with all their inconsistencies I feel completely confused. I just want one that I feel a connection to and it's just not happening for me yet. My instincts want it to be Gracie but I'm probably more on team Polina than any other Americans....at least for now. :confused2:

I can't even pick which American should or likely will go to GPF. It's probably Gracie. It's likely going to be all set up for her to get there but what she does with it will really solidify my impression of her. I wouldn't be surprised if others felt the same way. :popcorn:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it just coincidence that in the two years she's been on the senior GP she's gone to COC and TEB one year and then SC and COR the next?And since she gets to pick wouldn't she go for SA and NKH this year? In three years she would have attended all seven GP events.

Nevermind, I just read about the host picks. But does Gracie move up to top 1-3 seeds or is she still considered 4-6 because that's where she placed?

The seeding is based on finish at Worlds 2014, also assuming that Asada and Kostner do not do the GP in the coming season.

Worlds 2014:

1. Asada (not doing GP)
2. LIPNITSKAIA #1 Seed
3. Kostner (not doing GP)
4. POGORILAYA #2 Seed
5. GOLD #3 Seed
6. Suzuki (retired)
7. WAGNER #4 Seed
8. EDMUNDS #5 Seed
9. PARK #6 Seed

If USFS host-picks Gold for Skate America, Lipnitskaia can't go there because an event can have only one seed from the 1-3 group. By the same token, if Russia host-picks Lipnitskaia or Pogorilaya for CoR, then Gold can't go there----but Wagner or Edmunds can, because they are in the 4-6 group.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It appears Gracie and Yulia will not meet until at least GPF..assuming both make it.

World rankings I think are the top seeds not World Championship finish. Yulia can make her preference be known that she wants S/A but my guess is she will want NHK.

No, GP seeding is based on finish at Worlds 2014.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
The seeding is based on finish at Worlds 2014, also assuming that Asada and Kostner do not do the GP in the coming season.

Worlds 2014:

1. Asada (not doing GP)
2. LIPNITSKAIA #1 Seed
3. Kostner (not doing GP)
4. POGORILAYA #2 Seed
5. GOLD #3 Seed
6. Suzuki (retired)
7. WAGNER #4 Seed
8. EDMUNDS #5 Seed
9. PARK #6 Seed

If USFS host-picks Gold for Skate America, Lipnitskaia can't go there because an event can have only one seed from the 1-3 group. By the same token, if Russia host-picks Lipnitskaia or Pogorilaya for CoR, then Gold can't go there----but Wagner or Edmunds can, because they are in the 4-6 group.
So Pogo won't face both Julia and Gold? She has a great chance to get to the GPF again :yay::yay:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Uh, she only started competing on the GP in 2012 and after her SC win wasn't able to attend other GP events which possibly prevented her from making the GPF. But of course, not every skater makes the GPF. ;)

And LOL at mocking Osmond's falls when your precious Gracie fell in *every* competition last year... Oh, except for a stepout with both hands down at US Nationals. :agree:

flutzy13

On the Ice
My guess is no Sotnikova on the GP period. But if she's there, she bumps either Wagner or Pogo off my lineup.