Brackets and Footwork: What is the correct backwards version? | Golden Skate

Brackets and Footwork: What is the correct backwards version?

ovaskater

Rinkside
Hello, so I am not currently testing USFSA moves, but I do still work on footwork. I am curious as to what the backwards version of these turns would be, and the names of the forward turns are, since my coach doesn't teach me the names!

I have 2 turns that I am confused on

1) what is the difference between a rocker and a bracket. I asked multiple coaches at my rink and they were confused?! From my understanding a bracket starts on a forward outside edge (say on the left foot) and the turns clockwise to be on the back outside edge. So what is a counter?

2) what would this turn be called- Starting backwards on the right foot on an inside edge and turning counter clockwise to end up on a forward inside edge on the same foot. (Also how would this be different than a double three turn starting backwards on the same foot)

Vanshilar

On the Ice
So I'm not a figure skating expert but this is what I gathered from wikipedia, which shows the tracings for these turns so they're easier to visualize:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_figure_skating_terms

Basically the names are the same forwards or backwards (or at least I don't know if there's specific names for them). What move it is depends on the tracing that it makes on the ice.

1) For a bracket, prior to the turn, you're making a circle, so if you're on a forward outside edge on left foot, that circle is to your left. After the turn, you will resume tracing the same circle, but now you're going backwards, so it'll be backward inside (not outside) edge on your left foot. You're making the "}" symbol on the ice basically, hence the name. Counter would be what you described, i.e. ending up on the back outside edge; you're now tracing a different circle. The difference between a rocker and a bracket is that a rocker turns into that circle, while a bracket turns outside of that circle. They also exit in different directions; a rocker is like a counter in that you start tracing a different circle.

2) Backwards right inside, turning counterclockwise, to forward right inside, would be a counter. A 3-turn would stay on the same circle after the turn, and would switch to the outside edge after the turn as well.

Basically when you turn, there's one of four possibilities:

1. The turn is in the same direction that you were rotating (i.e. the point will be into the circle), and you exit on the opposite edge (inside to outside, or outside to inside). You will end up on the same circle as prior to the turn. This is called a three turn, because it looks like a "3".
2. The turn is in the same direction that you were rotating (i.e. the point will be into the circle), and you exit on the same edge. You will end up on a different circle as prior to the turn. This is called a rocker.
3. The turn is in the opposite direction that you were rotating (i.e. the point will be outside the circle), and you exit on the opposite edge. You will end up on the same circle as prior to the turn. This is called a bracket, because it looks like a "}".
4. The turn is in the opposite direction that you were rotating (i.e. the point will be outside the circle), and you exit on the same edge. You will end up on a different circle as prior to the turn. This is called a counter.

(Note for completeness that there are actually 6 types of turns; since loops and twizzles are also turns.)