Revelation of the Season | Golden Skate

Revelation of the Season

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
with most Veterans turning over their spot now to the younger newcomers
aside from already successful senior newcomers and at Worlds like Gracie, Julia etc.

Ladies:

Anna Pogorilaya - this girl I will tell you was an unknown 3 years ago in Russian junior circuit finishing as low as 18th in junior national competitions
Polina Edmunds
So Youn Park - didnt even follow who she is

Men:

Han Yan

Ice Dance:

Sinitsina / Zhiganshin - 7th in Worlds debut

Pairs:

Antipova / Maisuradze
Stolbova / Klimov

PftJump

On the Ice
3 ladies were cute and bright.

Polina's senior choice is very brave and looks good. (already Olympian.)

Anna has best jump skill among the russian girls. (she maybe keep it after body change.)

SoYoun finally get it. She get over the lack of international competition experience.

on_the_horizon

Rinkside
SoYoun finally get it. She get over the lack of international competition experience.

I think it's too early to open the champagne for her. Park is not exactly known as the most consistent skater out there. Even in her Nationals, she has been fluctuating up and down for the past several years. If anything, look at Zijun Li who had spectacular Sr. Worlds debut last year, only to fall from grace to hit the rock bottom in Saitama a year later. I liked what I saw in Park today and naturally want to get excited about her, but the history tends to repeat itself. Let's see what she can do from here on...

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Revelation of the season?
Honestly, there has been none.

I’m not sure if it is their own lack of individuality or the overall direction the development of FS has taken but the youngest generation look desperately boring to my eye.

alebi

Medalist
Anna Pogorilaya and Polina Edmunds for sure! They shown great abilities more than once!
So Youn Park had a "Zijun Li" moment at Worlds. I hope she gains confidence and becomes a top contender in the future (and I also hope Zijun Li comes back to her right level)

Jason Brown wasn't a surprise because he did great in Junior too but it was amazing how well he did in his first big competition (and we're talking about Olympics!). I hope Joshua Farris can follow him soon.

Stolbova / Klimov aren't new too but the confidence they demonstrated this year was really surprising. They switch from a good pair as many others to an olympic medallist pair in one season. I think training with the best couple (V/T) and their nearest contender (B/L) brings them up a lot.

neraiselle

On the Ice
I think it's too early to open the champagne for her. Park is not exactly known as the most consistent skater out there. Even in her Nationals, she has been fluctuating up and down for the past several years. If anything, look at Zijun Li who had spectacular Sr. Worlds debut last year, only to fall from grace to hit the rock bottom in Saitama a year later. I liked what I saw in Park today and naturally want to get excited about her, but the history tends to repeat itself. Let's see what she can do from here on...

Anna Pogorilaya and Polina Edmunds for sure! They shown great abilities more than once!
So Youn Park had a "Zijun Li" moment at Worlds. I hope she gains confidence and becomes a top contender in the future (and I also hope Zijun Li comes back to her right level)

I agree too that So Youn Park was like last year's Zijun Li at the worlds. It was so painful to see Zijun not living up to the expectations this season as she got so many of us excited with the magical performance at last year's worlds... I do hope she comes back! But I have a reason to be more optimistic about So Youn because she has better jump techniques than Zijun, so hopefully this will help her building up other aspects of her skating skills, spins, and footwork.