Savchenko and Massot team up | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Savchenko and Massot team up

alopatra

Rinkside
OMG!!!! I hope Aljona partnering a Frenchman does not mean the end of her working with Robin and Ingo! :eek: They were an absolute dream team!

Daria and Bruno used to go to Chemnitz regulary to train with Ingo, so I expect Ingo will be the coach.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
I think the person who suffers the most is Robin. No chance he is going to cash out on shows anymore.

My thought, too. And always seems like a very nice guy -- and easy on the eyes. A shame to deprive audiences a chance to see him!

spread beagle

Rinkside
Why, Germany has done nothing for them. The German federation doesn't politik for them at all, which is a large part of the reason they are no longer even that competitive with V&T. Germany doesn't even pay their coach who took them to all this success, and also brought Germany much success in his own career as a skater. She owes them nothing, they owe her far more gratitude than she is given.

I don't think her skating for France equal dump for Germany. I'm sure she appreciate all opportunity she had there and time spent, she also loves city of chemnitz.

German federation does not politik because it can't for anybody. There is not any bargainor or influence to give. No big event or money. Lot of people on German Fed leader board like president and vice president are ice hockey people. It is sad state for Germany, but without strong S/S, skating will go on fade away even more there.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It seems to me like a good choice. Massot has more experience than Szolkowy did when he teamed up with Savchenko, and Popova/Massot did some training with Ingo so all involved know each other and have some idea as to whether this is doable. For Massot, this is definitely moving up in the skating world, and he and Popova were going nowhere. He's very lucky to have this chance.

Obviously, Daria couldn't get the French citizenship before Sochi because France requires the applicants to live in France at least for 5 years.
http://www.sportacaen.fr/index.php?...ova-et-bruno-massot&catid=11:divers&Itemid=87
Daria knew that she doesn't meet this requirement but still applied hoping she could get an exception because of the olympics but she did not. So, if it didn't work for Daria, how can it work out for Aliona?
Vanessa James moved to France less than three years before she got citizenship. In the right situation, these things can be expedited. I bet they would be for Aliona.

They also will be ineligible for the 2015 worlds and wont even be able to skate in the grand prix in either 2014 or 2015.
I believe that under current rules regarding split couples, they would be eligible for GP assignments in 2015. Or they could compete as early as the 2015 WTT, which would presumably get them on the SB list even if they're not eligible for two GPs otherwise, not to mention that they'd get a TEB host pick no matter what.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think Popova would be more likely to team up with Alexei Rogonov for Russia than to switch to ice dance.

I feel bad for Robin because of the show thing, but then again, Aliona can do what she wants and if she wants to continue competing, she should. She shouldn't sacrifice her dreams just so they can make money if that's not what she really wants. Plus, Robin can skate in group numbers in shows by himself, he could even skate alone, or he could team up with someone else. Shae-Lynn Bourne was rather successful in SOI without Victor, not to mention Ekaterina Gordeeva although her skating alone wasn't a choice, I know.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
talk about a "foul" comment. . . if she wants to compete, let her compete.

Actually I agree with this comment but I do hope she gets thumped - sounds mean but she has had her 15 minutes now it is tie to give it up to someone else. Besides her actions also do affect Robin who can't even collect on skating in shows. Not everyone had deep pockets. I don't see why Aliona deserves to end her career or life with a OGM when so many great skaters got no Olympics medals or no gold - Kurt Browning far more talented and gave more to skating than Aliona, Brian Orser no gold but so close twice, Liz Manley, Belbin and Agosto, Nancy Kerrigan, Dubreil and Lauzon, Usova and Zhulin, Elvis Stojko, Pang and Tong, Patrick Chan, Daisuke Takahashi, Mao Asada, et al never got OGM and arguably were more talented, gave more to skating or lost out questoinably.

BlackPack

Medalist
My thought, too. And always seems like a very nice guy -- and easy on the eyes. A shame to deprive audiences a chance to see him!

Is going to become a coach? He has always been very loyal to Ingo, and it looks like Ingo will always have a place for him. I always thought that Robin and Aliona were an extremely well-matched pair. Shame they won't continue. An OGM isn't the ultimate prize in the world IMO. Happiness is though, and happiness isn't contingent on one dream coming true.

spread beagle

Rinkside
Actually I agree with this comment but I do hope she gets thumped - sounds mean but she has had her 15 minutes now it is tie to give it up to someone else. Besides her actions also do affect Robin who can't even collect on skating in shows. Not everyone had deep pockets. I don't see why Aliona deserves to end her career or life with a OGM when so many great skaters got no Olympics medals or no gold - Kurt Browning far more talented and gave more to skating than Aliona, Brian Orser no gold but so close twice, Liz Manley, Belbin and Agosto, Nancy Kerrigan, Dubreil and Lauzon, Usova and Zhulin, Elvis Stojko, Pang and Tong, Patrick Chan, Daisuke Takahashi, Mao Asada, et al never got OGM and arguably were more talented, gave more to skating or lost out questoinably.

This is a flawed thinking way. Some skater give lot to skating and get no medal, some get it with less impact on sport of skating. Lysacek and Hughes have OGM, they skated well on the event. If Aliona skate well in 2018 to get gold she deserve, whether you like or not. Also your 15 minute is more like 15 years :laugh: Also contracts for Art on Ice with Robin will sure be fullfilled. This is great team, and very close to another, they will not make other part suffer.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I don't feel bad for Robin. He is finished with figure skating and obviously doesn't think it is the end of his life if he doesn't have the Gold Medal. He seems to have an healthy view of life and knows there is much more to living. He said his body is getting older and he feels it. I think he is also a soldier, a job that lot of german athletes have. So I wouldn't be afraid that he won't be able to pay the bills.

Amei

Record Breaker
She'll be 34 in 2018. S/Z were even older if I recall correctly. I will reserve judgement for now

But S/Z were more artistic then S/S; S/S to me was more about the difficult elements, which get more difficult to accomplish with age.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I love that she wants to keep on, fighting for an Olympic gold. Go Aliona and Bruno!

Daria and Bruno used to go to Chemnitz regulary to train with Ingo, so I expect Ingo will be the coach.

I expect so too as a believe Ingo and Aljona is a pair off ice things :)

It seems to me like a good choice. Massot has more experience than Szolkowy did when he teamed up with Savchenko, and Popova/Massot did some training with Ingo so all involved know each other and have some idea as to whether this is doable. For Massot, this is definitely moving up in the skating world, and he and Popova were going nowhere. He's very lucky to have this chance.

Vanessa James moved to France less than three years before she got citizenship. In the right situation, these things can be expedited. I bet they would be for Aliona.

I believe that under current rules regarding split couples, they would be eligible for GP assignments in 2015. Or they could compete as early as the 2015 WTT, which would presumably get them on the SB list even if they're not eligible for two GPs otherwise, not to mention that they'd get a TEB host pick no matter what.

Good points.

Sounds very mean to me. No one deserves an olympic gold, but if she wants to fight for it it's her choice. I'm sure Robin will be fine. Love how he held her fondly after their last Free skate.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Sounds very mean to me. No one deserves an olympic gold, but if she wants to fight for it it's her choice. I'm sure Robin will be fine. Love how he held her fondly after their last Free skate.

Don't bother. Skater Boy is a known "Ssquared" Anti who now pretends to be concerned about Robin. :rolleye: It's Alionas life, she can do what she wants and has no obligation to give other skaters their 15 minutes of fame.

Amei

Record Breaker
I love that she wants to keep on, fighting for an Olympic gold. Go Aliona and Bruno! Sounds very mean to me. No one deserves an olympic gold, but if she wants to fight for it it's her choice. I'm sure Robin will be fine. Love how he held her fondly after their last Free skate.

Good luck to her, but 1 perspective is to say - she is past the peak of her career and if she were to end her career today she would be (at least from an outsider's POV, maybe not her's) ending it on a high note/on top of the sport. A lot of people would say, why risk moving to a brand new partner where they may be a complete and total disaster.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Belbin & Agosto, Nancy Kerrigan, Dubreuil & Lauzon, Pang & Tong, Manley, more talented and gave more to skating than Savcheno & Szolkowy? Are you on crack (and yes I am a huge Pang & Tong fan but I am not delusional either).

Alba

Record Breaker
Yes, you're right Alba that's another factor to consider. I don't think the judges will be that impressed. While it's true that Robin often was the weaker link in their skating I wonder about Bruno. In the end pair skating might not have been the best choice for Aliona. You succeed and fail with your partners performance.

Although Dimitriev did it so who knows...but for him it was his third Olympics, for her would be the fourth time.

BlackPack

Medalist
I don't feel bad for Robin. He is finished with figure skating and obviously doesn't think it is the end of his life if he doesn't have the Gold Medal. He seems to have an healthy view of life and knows there is much more to living. He said his body is getting older and he feels it. I think he is also a soldier, a job that lot of german athletes have. So I wouldn't be afraid that he won't be able to pay the bills.

MaiKatze, I'm hoping you can elucidate this further for me. I read that Ingo was involved in the Stasi and was in trouble for a long time post-Reunification. Robin was in the army and the army wouldn't continue to fund his skating if he stuck with Ingo. Robin refused to leave Ingo and thus they had to raise money in other ways. So does Robin still have the army's pension?