Savchenko and Massot team up | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Savchenko and Massot team up

Icey

Record Breaker
They may have "teamed" up, but they are not yet on any team that can compete.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I will follow them for the costumes anyways. Aliona never disappointed me with her eh...eerie fashion sense on ice. :popcorn:

Alba

Record Breaker
Firstly, Tatiana and Maxim had even less time, as she didn't compete at Worlds 2010. Secondly, Tania and Max were skating on - more or less - the same level (Maria and Maxim were slightly better) with previous partner, on Vancouver M/T placed 7th when V/M placed 8th. At Worlds 2014 S/S won gold medal - P/M placed 15th (16 pairs take par in the free skating). Massot and Popova's season's best in combined total score is a few points higher than Aliona and Robin's season's best in free skating. I'm not saying that they have no chace, but your comparison is quite strange :p

You could see though, even then, that Tatiana was one of the best skaters out there, if not THE best.
Anyway, I'm not comparing the skaters (Tatiana with Aliona or Maxim with Bruno etc.). I'm saying that a year out it's not a problem, not even 2 years.
The problem is Aliona's age. If she can keep up than it's fine. Of course I have no idea how Bruno is as a skater and if they are going to be a good match.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
It would be funny if they ended up doing "pro" skating together when they teamed up because Aliona wanted to stay eligible lol.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am starting to wonder if the lack of popularity or falling popularity of skating which has reduced skating shows (pro) and competitions (pro) has meantskaters are staying competitivelonger as that is the way to make money? Right now we seem to have more skaters having issues of saying good bye now some are fairly young like Chan and Kim but Takhahashi, Kostner, Aliona, Kavaguti and Smirnov, Marchei, Joubert, Plushenko et al have been around for a while. Sadly not everything like wine gets better with age; sometimes you just rot or go moldy.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Apparently it's being reported that they lifted that can for Ingo to receive funding and he will now be getting it. So my question is...now that the coach is getting paid is the German federation going to want to release Aliona? We already know Massot won't be released. What will happen to this team?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Apparently it's being reported that they lifted that can for Ingo to receive funding and he will now be getting it. So my question is...now that the coach is getting paid is the German federation going to want to release Aliona? We already know Massot won't be released. What will happen to this team?

Aljona and Bruno's Facebook Fanpage have posted the link to the announcement:

http://newsletter.dosb.de/newsletter/newsletter.php?id=5115&html=1

So, both France and Germany are doing everything they can to get the team to represent them. France by not releasing Bruno, and Germany by agreeing to pay Ingo.

Personally, everything I have seen over the past few month or so says that the team wants to represent Germany. But, it looks like it is not going to be up to them.

Whichever country they end up representing, they will have proper competition for the international slots. As it stands at the moment, this is how it stacks up for the 2 countries:

France have 2 slots in Europeans and Worlds for this coming season, and they have 2 good teams (James/Cipres; Popova/Novoselov).

Germany also have 2 slots in Europeans and Worlds for this coming season, and they have 3 good teams (Hausch/Wende if they continue; Vartmann/van Cleave; Prölß/Blommaert).

So, we will have to wait and see what happens. But, in the end, I suspect it will be the French that give in. After all, as the Men's Football World Cup recently reminded us, the Germans always win... ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wende/Wende aren't retiring so they will skate on the GP.

Ach, for goodness sake! I never even thought of looking at the GP assignments table again when I was writing my previous comment! :rolleye: I was just writing off the top of my head! :laugh:

And, now that I have checked it again, sure enough, there they are at Skate America and the Cup of Russia.

Can I just say, I am glad that they are continuing. And, if Savchenko and Massot do end up with France, this could be the one chance for Maylin and Dani to really establish themselves as the German No. 1's for a year or 2, before Prölß/Blommaert take over (Which they will. Assuming they stay together... :slink: )

Thanks blue_idealist

CaroLiza_fan

Alba

Record Breaker
I am starting to wonder if the lack of popularity or falling popularity of skating which has reduced skating shows (pro) and competitions (pro) has meantskaters are staying competitivelonger as that is the way to make money? Right now we seem to have more skaters having issues of saying good bye now some are fairly young like Chan and Kim but Takhahashi, Kostner, Aliona, Kavaguti and Smirnov, Marchei, Joubert, Plushenko et al have been around for a while. Sadly not everything like wine gets better with age; sometimes you just rot or go moldy.

Aliona is staying for that gold medal, not the money. She could've made more money with Robin doing shows. Plushenko as well doesn't need the money and he also could be making more money doing other things than competing.
For many athletes it's just hard to "retire". This is not just in FS. For many football players is the same thing. They just can't bring themselves leaving when it's time.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Ach, for goodness sake! I never even thought of looking at the GP assignments table again when I was writing my previous comment! :rolleye: I was just writing off the top of my head! :laugh:

And, now that I have checked it again, sure enough, there they are at Skate America and the Cup of Russia.

Can I just say, I am glad that they are continuing. And, if Savchenko and Massot do end up with France, this could be the one chance for Maylin and Dani to really establish themselves as the German No. 1's for a year or 2, before Prölß/Blommaert take over (Which they will. Assuming they stay together... :slink: )

Thanks blue_idealist

CaroLiza_fan

No problem.. I love Maylin and Daniel! I thought they considered retiring after the Olympics so they may be retired by the time P&B are good enough to overtake them.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Aliona is staying for that gold medal, not the money. She could've made more money with Robin doing shows. Plushenko as well doesn't need the money and he also could be making more money doing other things than competing.
For many athletes it's just hard to "retire". This is not just in FS. For many football players is the same thing. They just can't bring themselves leaving when it's time.
:thumbsup:

Perhaps it's more understandable if we consider that many of these athletes love competitive skating. Take the biggest hobby of your life. Now, imagine you need to "retire" from it at the age of 25. You can see why it's difficult.

Amei

Record Breaker
Aliona is staying for that gold medal, not the money. She could've made more money with Robin doing shows.

I believe there was an article posted earlier in the thread where Robin was done, and didn't want to do shows with her anymore... so doing shows with Robin wasn't really an option for her.