Savchenko and Massot team up | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Savchenko and Massot team up

Macassar88

Medalist
I believe there was an article posted earlier in the thread where Robin was done, and didn't want to do shows with her anymore... so doing shows with Robin wasn't really an option for her.

That was only once she said she was teaming up with Bruno

Alba

Record Breaker
:thumbsup:

Perhaps it's more understandable if we consider that many of these athletes love competitive skating. Take the biggest hobby of your life. Now, imagine you need to "retire" from it at the age of 25. You can see why it's difficult.

Yeah, I can't even imagine how hard that must be for them. It's just that sometimes it's sad to see them retire when it's too late, so to speak.

I believe there was an article posted earlier in the thread where Robin was done, and didn't want to do shows with her anymore... so doing shows with Robin wasn't really an option for her.

Yes, I know that. That's why I said that if she wanted the money she could've continued with Robin and doing shows, but she wants the OGM.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^I think Robin said he didn't want to do shows after he realized Aliona wanted to continue competing. If she'd retired with him, I suspect Robin would've done shows with her?

Alba

Record Breaker
If she'd retired with him, I suspect Robin would've done shows with her?

That's for sure. He said that very clearly, and it was obvious because the reason of their split was that she wanted to continue competing for 2018 Oly.

Alba

Record Breaker
So the "Aliona is still competing because $$" doesn't sound very plausible.

No, I'm saying the opposite. I said it before, she is competing because of that bloody OGM. :biggrin:
Otherwise, she would've continued with Robin, doing shows and more money, and that's what Robin wanted too.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't think figure skating is any different than any other competitive sport including swimming, football, soccer, etc. There does come a time when the athlete has to face the fact that they've lost a step, aren't as able to bend or twist as easily, their recovery time from a competition is longer, etc. etc. I know most people say that's up to the athlete to decide when that time is but I'm suggesting that it's almost impossible (barring injury) for an athlete to be objective about their physical and mental well-being in the sport. For most it's been a way of life for so long that they can't imagine not going to the rink or the gym or the playing field unless they've built other lives or continued their education. Watching Plushenko skate this year was painful. Watching Jeremy Abbott skate this year was painful....except for his Oly LP.

I think Aliona is deluding herself into thinking that the 2018 OGM is a possibility. BUT.......

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Call me crazy, but I don't feel that way at all. Watching Plushenko skate this year has made me more of a fan of this sport and his crazy determination. Watching Jeremy Abbott skate has always been a little painful because you're never sure what'll happen, but that has nothing to do with his age. And during the Worlds LP (definitely not the watered-down Olympics one :unsure:), I did get a glimpse of what his fans could see in him.

I'm not suggesting everyone should compete until they're 45, but it hardly causes me any pain. The Fumie situation is a bit sad, but for the most part I don't even think about her. Even if my least favourite skater in the world wants to keep skating for two more decades... well, they're feel to and I've no objections.

No, I'm saying the opposite. I said it before, she is competing because of that bloody OGM. :biggrin:
Otherwise, she would've continued with Robin, doing shows and more money, and that's what Robin wanted too.
I understand what you're saying. Just addressing certain other posters regarding the $$$ issue. ;)

Tatjana

On the Ice
Aljona and Bruno's Facebook Fanpage have posted the link to the announcement:

http://newsletter.dosb.de/newsletter/newsletter.php?id=5115&html=1

Here is, on Paula's request, a translation of the relevant parts of the press release by the German NOC.

"Figure skating coach Ingo Steuer in the future should be able to work as a coach again in Germany for a federation. This is what the the independant Stasi comission of the German NOC led by Professor Dr. Hansjörg Geiger decided Monday following a hearing of the 48-year-old (Steuer) on Friday in Berlin.

"Taking into consideration the personal development of Mr. Steuer in the past years and 25 years after the end of the GDR and his contacts to the state security, the commission has no further objection against Steuer being hired as a figure skating coach by the German Skating Federation", the commission told Ingo Steuer and the NOC on Monday.

The decision of the board that addressed the case for the fourth time since 2006 [skipping the names and functions of the former commission leaders] cancelled the decision that had been in force for eight years. At that time the commission came to the conclusion that a function of Ingo Steuer as a coach in a German sports federation is not possible because of this collaboratjion with the Ministery of State Security of the GDR."

[skipping two paragraphs of bla bla]

"The vote of the commission will now be the basis of the talks between the NOC and the Minstery of Interior Affairs and the German Skating Federation to clarify how the future of Ingo Steuer as a figure skating coach in Germany can look like. In the case of Ingo Steuer it comes down to an appointment as a coach that is funded by the government."

"The funding of Steuer as a coach is also connected to the question if five-time pair skating world champion Aljona Savchenko will continue to compete for Germany in order to prepare for the Olympic Winter Games 2018 in Pyeongchang or if she might possibly apply for a change of nationality and switch to France. Her new partner Bruno Massot is French and said that he intends to switch to Germany in case the situation of his coach is clarified."
[... skipping last part about Aljona and Robin paying Ingo themselves in the past]

Alba

Record Breaker
I understand what you're saying. Just addressing certain other posters regarding the $$$ issue. ;)

Oups, sorry. :)

Meanwhile: Robin Szolkowy to become a consultant in Nina Mozer's group: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/17477.html

The article says he is going to work primarily with juniors. His contract will be signed in nearest future and he will join the group either in September in Sochi or in October in Moscow.

Thanks to quiqie for the translation: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...Spring-into-Summer-2014&p=4299029#post4299029

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for taking the time to do that translation, Tatjana!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It's been confirmed: Aljona and Bruno will compete for GERMANY.

Announcement on their Facebook Fanpage:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=589224584541826&id=506654896132129

And the story the Facebook announcement links to (auf Deutsch):
http://www.freiepresse.de/NACHRICHT...-kuenftig-fuer-Deutschland-artikel8991127.php

There aren't any stories in English yet, but I'm sure there will be soon.

One thing the story said that I didn't realise was that if the French Federation released Bruno, they could be back competing in 1 year. I thought it would be the normal 2 year embargo, no matter whether he was released or not.

But the most interesting thing that the story had was a quote from Aljona. She was saying that they would like to work with a team of coaches, including Ingo. And the story pointed out that Volosozhar/Trankov also use that strategy.

But, Frei Presse also pointed out that using a team of coaches would be a good way of getting around the old problem of funding. Although the German Federation has a problem with paying Ingo, they would not have any problem with paying anybody else that was coaching them.

Clever, eh? :agree:

So, interesting times ahead.

CaroLiza_fan

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh, good for Aliona!! I hope they will work well this time. If Yuko can still compete at the age of 32, why not Aliona?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Oh, good news! After all the horror stories about the French Fed (see Brian Joubert's Fan Fest...), this seems like a smart choice. Now let's hope Massot gets released.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
That is another problem. :scowl:
Yeah, considering how awful the French Fed is, I can see why Savchenko/Massot don't want to skate for them... But knowing the French Fed, they're probably not going to be nice and just release him.