Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Savchenko and Massot team up

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    That really kind of bothers me. That she'd just dump Germany like that.
    What did Germany do for her? I recall an interview where she said they receive basically nothing from the federation. She so far brought to Germany 5 world titles and 2 Olympic bronze medals. I won't judge her for wanting to represent a country that actually gives a c*** about their skaters.

Fumie Syndrome

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Fumie Syndrome
    She'll be 34 in 2018. S/Z were even older if I recall correctly. I will reserve judgement for now

Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    She'll be 34 in 2018. S/Z were even older if I recall correctly. I will reserve judgement for now
    Yes, but S&Z had better nerves and were more consistent. And they've been to 4 Olympics together, not with other partners.

Custom Title
    LMFAO. Good luck Aliona. Or better yet seek some help with this obsession. I also like how she shaded Robin with that "he was 10th placer before me" comment.

Rinkside
    Why are so many skaters reluctant to move on to their next phase in life? Aliona is not the only one. The ages of quite of few of the skaters in pairs, dance, and men are surprisingly high. Are they all independently wealthy? How are their bodies holding up with the constant intense training? It's baffling how so many sustain world class skating careers for such a long time.

Good luck to Aliona and Bruno, I hope they reach their goals.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    I think she needs to move on. I have a feeling that many important people inside figure skating would not like her to go on forever, and will punish the new couple, me think.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Yes, you're right Alba that's another factor to consider. I don't think the judges will be that impressed. While it's true that Robin often was the weaker link in their skating I wonder about Bruno. In the end pair skating might not have been the best choice for Aliona. You succeed and fail with your partners performance.

a cat watching figure skating alebi's Avatar
    I'm shocked... i always thought Smirnov was her ideal partner for many reasons... he has already a name, Yuko is older, their coach is retiring and he has the right physique for traing a triple axel (at least in my mind). Come on Alyona.... Bruno Massot????

Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    S/Z though were partners for decades. They were able to take time off and rest their bodies as well.

It takes a couple of years to really gell as team even if you can win a world medal like V/T did early on. They won't be able to take the time off etc.

Custom Title
    I don't know what to make of this, except that life as a skate fan is never boring. Hey, a lot of athletes in other sports have kept going past what seemed realistic, and some of them actually have done well. Track and field has some notable examples. I don't know whether the demands of training on the body are greater or less in such sports. Marathon training, for instance, seems pretty grueling.

Could Aliona have an easier time switching to France from Germany because they're both in the EU?--I mean in terms of legality and citizenship?

Custom Title
    Love Aliona and Salchowy. But...it's time to say goodbye. Aliona's slender and somewhat fragile physique will not be able to handle even one more year of triple jumps and throws, let alone working with a new partner tomaster lifts and overall timing. I predict this might start but end sadly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slider11 View Post
    Love Aliona and Salchowy. But...it's time to say goodbye. Aliona's slender and somewhat fragile physique will not be able to handle even one more year of triple jumps and throws, let alone working with a new partner tomaster lifts and overall timing. I predict this might start but end sadly.
    Slender? FRAGILE? You're talking about a woman in pairs, correct?

Custom Title
    I know people want the OGM but some of these teams even though they are winning medals still maybe even an olympic medal andyou can say all the poli right things - they are doing it for so and so, they are doing it for the joy of skating but there is a time to move on and get a job - i guess we all want the fantasy? Still even P and T holding on and takign time off and even Shen and Zhou yes they won gold but like even hamilton tey won gold but they were fading ie not winning the freeskates. Aliona looks like a deserate lady or person switching countries like switching brands of toothpaste there is something insincere or not right about this Finding a coutnry that best helps me to win gold. I know you should leave when you want; age shouldn't be a factor maybe I like spreading the wealth - she had her moment and it was quite long now move on. Abbott had his chance at amedal this year. P and B had their chance at gold this year. Carolina had her chance at a world title this year - they are wonderful skaters with tonnes of bossessed fans on this site but really they had their time in the sun now they need to fine a new sky

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    That really kind of bothers me. That she'd just dump Germany like that.
    Why? She's not German.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast