Savchenko and Massot team up | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Savchenko and Massot team up

Springmaiden27

Spectator
Why are so many skaters reluctant to move on to their next phase in life? Aliona is not the only one. The ages of quite of few of the skaters in pairs, dance, and men are surprisingly high. Are they all independently wealthy? How are their bodies holding up with the constant intense training? It's baffling how so many sustain world class skating careers for such a long time.

Good luck to Aliona and Bruno, I hope they reach their goals.

Alba

Record Breaker
I think she needs to move on. I have a feeling that many important people inside figure skating would not like her to go on forever, and will punish the new couple, me think.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Yes, you're right Alba that's another factor to consider. I don't think the judges will be that impressed. While it's true that Robin often was the weaker link in their skating I wonder about Bruno. In the end pair skating might not have been the best choice for Aliona. You succeed and fail with your partners performance.

alebi

Medalist
I'm shocked... i always thought Smirnov was her ideal partner for many reasons... he has already a name, Yuko is older, their coach is retiring and he has the right physique for traing a triple axel (at least in my mind). Come on Alyona.... Bruno Massot????

bekalc

Record Breaker
She'll be 34 in 2018. S/Z were even older if I recall correctly. I will reserve judgement for now

S/Z though were partners for decades. They were able to take time off and rest their bodies as well.

It takes a couple of years to really gell as team even if you can win a world medal like V/T did early on. They won't be able to take the time off etc.

I don't know what to make of this, except that life as a skate fan is never boring. Hey, a lot of athletes in other sports have kept going past what seemed realistic, and some of them actually have done well. Track and field has some notable examples. I don't know whether the demands of training on the body are greater or less in such sports. Marathon training, for instance, seems pretty grueling.

Could Aliona have an easier time switching to France from Germany because they're both in the EU?--I mean in terms of legality and citizenship?

slider11

Medalist
Love Aliona and Salchowy. But...it's time to say goodbye. Aliona's slender and somewhat fragile physique will not be able to handle even one more year of triple jumps and throws, let alone working with a new partner tomaster lifts and overall timing. I predict this might start but end sadly.

elee63

Final Flight
Love Aliona and Salchowy. But...it's time to say goodbye. Aliona's slender and somewhat fragile physique will not be able to handle even one more year of triple jumps and throws, let alone working with a new partner tomaster lifts and overall timing. I predict this might start but end sadly.

Slender? FRAGILE? You're talking about a woman in pairs, correct?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know people want the OGM but some of these teams even though they are winning medals still maybe even an olympic medal andyou can say all the poli right things - they are doing it for so and so, they are doing it for the joy of skating but there is a time to move on and get a job - i guess we all want the fantasy? Still even P and T holding on and takign time off and even Shen and Zhou yes they won gold but like even hamilton tey won gold but they were fading ie not winning the freeskates. Aliona looks like a deserate lady or person switching countries like switching brands of toothpaste there is something insincere or not right about this Finding a coutnry that best helps me to win gold. I know you should leave when you want; age shouldn't be a factor maybe I like spreading the wealth - she had her moment and it was quite long now move on. Abbott had his chance at amedal this year. P and B had their chance at gold this year. Carolina had her chance at a world title this year - they are wonderful skaters with tonnes of bossessed fans on this site but really they had their time in the sun now they need to fine a new sky :)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Why? She's not German.

She IS German.

I don't know what to make of this, except that life as a skate fan is never boring. Hey, a lot of athletes in other sports have kept going past what seemed realistic, and some of them actually have done well. Track and field has some notable examples. I don't know whether the demands of training on the body are greater or less in such sports. Marathon training, for instance, seems pretty grueling.

Could Aliona have an easier time switching to France from Germany because they're both in the EU?--I mean in terms of legality and citizenship?

Thought about it, and while I think it isn't a problem generally, I think it would be much easier for Bruno to become German than for Aliona to become French. I honestly think that you shouldn't be able to change your nationality on a whim, and while we're all a big happy family without borders here in the EU I don't think the administrations of both France and Germany support that kind of nationality-change-hopping and they shouldn't make exceptions for athletes either. It is a commitment and "normal" people don't have these possibilities so why should she?

noidont

Final Flight
Everything considered, Massot is a good skater with potential. They would have a good look together.
Aliona probably has competitive issues with Tatiana.
I think the person who suffers the most is Robin. No chance he is going to cash out on shows anymore.
Wish them the best. I don't get why people always think skaters should move on. This is their career. No one ever tells a 31 year old movie star to call it quits just because he or she has already "made it".

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Also poor Popova.

I feel bad for her. She moved to France to be able to get to the Olympics with him and they were denied her citizenship to go, and now she wont ever get to go probably. I am surprised too as I saw an interview in January from them they were excited to go for 2018.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
That really kind of bothers me. That she'd just dump Germany like that.

Why, Germany has done nothing for them. The German federation doesn't politik for them at all, which is a large part of the reason they are no longer even that competitive with V&T. Germany doesn't even pay their coach who took them to all this success, and also brought Germany much success in his own career as a skater. She owes them nothing, they owe her far more gratitude than she is given.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
They also will be ineligible for the 2015 worlds and wont even be able to skate in the grand prix in either 2014 or 2015.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OMG!!!! I hope Aljona partnering a Frenchman does not mean the end of her working with Robin and Ingo! :eek: They were an absolute dream team!

So, Aljona is teaming up with Bruno. I didn't see that one coming!

There again, Bruno's current partner, Daria Popova, couldn't get French citizenship, so they were unlikely to continue together anyway.

HOWEVER, I just saw this comment that Daria posted on her Facebook profile on Thursday:

Close one door and the other is gonna open.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/daria.popova.73/posts/10202839478361686

And a thought just occurred to me. Daria is from Moscow. So, she will likely go for a Russian partner. Save all the bother of trying to get citizenship of a different country.

But, with all the fallout from the Ilinykh/Katsalapov split, might we see her switching to Dance...? :think:

If so, the obvious candidate is Ruslan. But I'm not sure about partnering him with Daria. Yes, she is a lot shorter than Viktoria. But, I just don't think they would look right together.

Although Daria is a few months younger than Ruslan, she looks a lot older than him. Which kinda works against the tradition of partnering younger girls with older fellas.

But, has anybody thought that maybe Daria could end up with Nikita? For me, that would work. And it wouldn't necessitate splitting Viktoria and Ruslan up. :biggrin:

It's just an "outside-the-box" thought. But, what do you think?

CaroLiza_fan

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
They also will be ineligible for the 2015 worlds and wont even be able to skate in the grand prix in either 2014 or 2015.

And in 2016 judges will not even remember who she is :biggrin: There will be new heroes...