Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Savchenko and Massot team up

Also poor Popova.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Why? She's not German.
    She IS German.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I don't know what to make of this, except that life as a skate fan is never boring. Hey, a lot of athletes in other sports have kept going past what seemed realistic, and some of them actually have done well. Track and field has some notable examples. I don't know whether the demands of training on the body are greater or less in such sports. Marathon training, for instance, seems pretty grueling.

Could Aliona have an easier time switching to France from Germany because they're both in the EU?--I mean in terms of legality and citizenship?
    Thought about it, and while I think it isn't a problem generally, I think it would be much easier for Bruno to become German than for Aliona to become French. I honestly think that you shouldn't be able to change your nationality on a whim, and while we're all a big happy family without borders here in the EU I don't think the administrations of both France and Germany support that kind of nationality-change-hopping and they shouldn't make exceptions for athletes either. It is a commitment and "normal" people don't have these possibilities so why should she?

Custom Title
    Everything considered, Massot is a good skater with potential. They would have a good look together.
    Aliona probably has competitive issues with Tatiana.
    I think the person who suffers the most is Robin. No chance he is going to cash out on shows anymore.
    Wish them the best. I don't get why people always think skaters should move on. This is their career. No one ever tells a 31 year old movie star to call it quits just because he or she has already "made it".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Also poor Popova.
    I feel bad for her. She moved to France to be able to get to the Olympics with him and they were denied her citizenship to go, and now she wont ever get to go probably. I am surprised too as I saw an interview in January from them they were excited to go for 2018.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    That really kind of bothers me. That she'd just dump Germany like that.
    Why, Germany has done nothing for them. The German federation doesn't politik for them at all, which is a large part of the reason they are no longer even that competitive with V&T. Germany doesn't even pay their coach who took them to all this success, and also brought Germany much success in his own career as a skater. She owes them nothing, they owe her far more gratitude than she is given.

Rinkside
    Obviously, Daria couldn't get the French citizenship before Sochi because France requires the applicants to live in France at least for 5 years.
    http://www.sportacaen.fr/index.php?o...vers&Itemid=87
    Daria knew that she doesn't meet this requirement but still applied hoping she could get an exception because of the olympics but she did not. So, if it didn't work for Daria, how can it work out for Aliona?

Banned
    They also will be ineligible for the 2015 worlds and wont even be able to skate in the grand prix in either 2014 or 2015.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    OMG!!!! I hope Aljona partnering a Frenchman does not mean the end of her working with Robin and Ingo! They were an absolute dream team!

So, Aljona is teaming up with Bruno. I didn't see that one coming!

There again, Bruno's current partner, Daria Popova, couldn't get French citizenship, so they were unlikely to continue together anyway.

HOWEVER, I just saw this comment that Daria posted on her Facebook profile on Thursday:

Close one door and the other is gonna open.
    Source: https://www.facebook.com/daria.popov...02839478361686

And a thought just occurred to me. Daria is from Moscow. So, she will likely go for a Russian partner. Save all the bother of trying to get citizenship of a different country.

But, with all the fallout from the Ilinykh/Katsalapov split, might we see her switching to Dance...?

If so, the obvious candidate is Ruslan. But I'm not sure about partnering him with Daria. Yes, she is a lot shorter than Viktoria. But, I just don't think they would look right together.

Although Daria is a few months younger than Ruslan, she looks a lot older than him. Which kinda works against the tradition of partnering younger girls with older fellas.

But, has anybody thought that maybe Daria could end up with Nikita? For me, that would work. And it wouldn't necessitate splitting Viktoria and Ruslan up.

It's just an "outside-the-box" thought. But, what do you think?

CaroLiza_fan

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Irina89 View Post
    Why retire as World Champion when you can made a total foul of yourself?
    talk about a "foul" comment. . . if she wants to compete, let her compete.

umm...
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    They also will be ineligible for the 2015 worlds and wont even be able to skate in the grand prix in either 2014 or 2015.
    And in 2016 judges will not even remember who she is There will be new heroes...

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    OMG!!!! I hope Aljona partnering a Frenchman does not mean the end of her working with Robin and Ingo! They were an absolute dream team!
    Daria and Bruno used to go to Chemnitz regulary to train with Ingo, so I expect Ingo will be the coach.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    I think the person who suffers the most is Robin. No chance he is going to cash out on shows anymore.
    My thought, too. And always seems like a very nice guy -- and easy on the eyes. A shame to deprive audiences a chance to see him!

Tripping on the Podium
    Why, Germany has done nothing for them. The German federation doesn't politik for them at all, which is a large part of the reason they are no longer even that competitive with V&T. Germany doesn't even pay their coach who took them to all this success, and also brought Germany much success in his own career as a skater. She owes them nothing, they owe her far more gratitude than she is given.
    I don't think her skating for France equal dump for Germany. I'm sure she appreciate all opportunity she had there and time spent, she also loves city of chemnitz.

German federation does not politik because it can't for anybody. There is not any bargainor or influence to give. No big event or money. Lot of people on German Fed leader board like president and vice president are ice hockey people. It is sad state for Germany, but without strong S/S, skating will go on fade away even more there.

It seems to me like a good choice. Massot has more experience than Szolkowy did when he teamed up with Savchenko, and Popova/Massot did some training with Ingo so all involved know each other and have some idea as to whether this is doable. For Massot, this is definitely moving up in the skating world, and he and Popova were going nowhere. He's very lucky to have this chance.

Quote Originally Posted by alopatra View Post
    Obviously, Daria couldn't get the French citizenship before Sochi because France requires the applicants to live in France at least for 5 years.
    http://www.sportacaen.fr/index.php?o...vers&Itemid=87
    Daria knew that she doesn't meet this requirement but still applied hoping she could get an exception because of the olympics but she did not. So, if it didn't work for Daria, how can it work out for Aliona?
    Vanessa James moved to France less than three years before she got citizenship. In the right situation, these things can be expedited. I bet they would be for Aliona.

I believe that under current rules regarding split couples, they would be eligible for GP assignments in 2015. Or they could compete as early as the 2015 WTT, which would presumably get them on the SB list even if they're not eligible for two GPs otherwise, not to mention that they'd get a TEB host pick no matter what.

I think Popova would be more likely to team up with Alexei Rogonov for Russia than to switch to ice dance.

I feel bad for Robin because of the show thing, but then again, Aliona can do what she wants and if she wants to continue competing, she should. She shouldn't sacrifice her dreams just so they can make money if that's not what she really wants. Plus, Robin can skate in group numbers in shows by himself, he could even skate alone, or he could team up with someone else. Shae-Lynn Bourne was rather successful in SOI without Victor, not to mention Ekaterina Gordeeva although her skating alone wasn't a choice, I know.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast