Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Savchenko and Massot team up

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fadeevfan View Post
    talk about a "foul" comment. . . if she wants to compete, let her compete.
    Actually I agree with this comment but I do hope she gets thumped - sounds mean but she has had her 15 minutes now it is tie to give it up to someone else. Besides her actions also do affect Robin who can't even collect on skating in shows. Not everyone had deep pockets. I don't see why Aliona deserves to end her career or life with a OGM when so many great skaters got no Olympics medals or no gold - Kurt Browning far more talented and gave more to skating than Aliona, Brian Orser no gold but so close twice, Liz Manley, Belbin and Agosto, Nancy Kerrigan, Dubreil and Lauzon, Usova and Zhulin, Elvis Stojko, Pang and Tong, Patrick Chan, Daisuke Takahashi, Mao Asada, et al never got OGM and arguably were more talented, gave more to skating or lost out questoinably.

Quote Originally Posted by fadeevfan View Post
    My thought, too. And always seems like a very nice guy -- and easy on the eyes. A shame to deprive audiences a chance to see him!
    Is going to become a coach? He has always been very loyal to Ingo, and it looks like Ingo will always have a place for him. I always thought that Robin and Aliona were an extremely well-matched pair. Shame they won't continue. An OGM isn't the ultimate prize in the world IMO. Happiness is though, and happiness isn't contingent on one dream coming true.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Actually I agree with this comment but I do hope she gets thumped - sounds mean but she has had her 15 minutes now it is tie to give it up to someone else. Besides her actions also do affect Robin who can't even collect on skating in shows. Not everyone had deep pockets. I don't see why Aliona deserves to end her career or life with a OGM when so many great skaters got no Olympics medals or no gold - Kurt Browning far more talented and gave more to skating than Aliona, Brian Orser no gold but so close twice, Liz Manley, Belbin and Agosto, Nancy Kerrigan, Dubreil and Lauzon, Usova and Zhulin, Elvis Stojko, Pang and Tong, Patrick Chan, Daisuke Takahashi, Mao Asada, et al never got OGM and arguably were more talented, gave more to skating or lost out questoinably.
    This is a flawed thinking way. Some skater give lot to skating and get no medal, some get it with less impact on sport of skating. Lysacek and Hughes have OGM, they skated well on the event. If Aliona skate well in 2018 to get gold she deserve, whether you like or not. Also your 15 minute is more like 15 years Also contracts for Art on Ice with Robin will sure be fullfilled. This is great team, and very close to another, they will not make other part suffer.

Banned
    Savchenko & Massot beating Volosozhar & Trankov for the gold at the next Olympics would be funny.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    I don't feel bad for Robin. He is finished with figure skating and obviously doesn't think it is the end of his life if he doesn't have the Gold Medal. He seems to have an healthy view of life and knows there is much more to living. He said his body is getting older and he feels it. I think he is also a soldier, a job that lot of german athletes have. So I wouldn't be afraid that he won't be able to pay the bills.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    She'll be 34 in 2018. S/Z were even older if I recall correctly. I will reserve judgement for now
    But S/Z were more artistic then S/S; S/S to me was more about the difficult elements, which get more difficult to accomplish with age.

I love that she wants to keep on, fighting for an Olympic gold. Go Aliona and Bruno!

Quote Originally Posted by alopatra View Post
    Daria and Bruno used to go to Chemnitz regulary to train with Ingo, so I expect Ingo will be the coach.
    I expect so too as a believe Ingo and Aljona is a pair off ice things

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    It seems to me like a good choice. Massot has more experience than Szolkowy did when he teamed up with Savchenko, and Popova/Massot did some training with Ingo so all involved know each other and have some idea as to whether this is doable. For Massot, this is definitely moving up in the skating world, and he and Popova were going nowhere. He's very lucky to have this chance.

Vanessa James moved to France less than three years before she got citizenship. In the right situation, these things can be expedited. I bet they would be for Aliona.

I believe that under current rules regarding split couples, they would be eligible for GP assignments in 2015. Or they could compete as early as the 2015 WTT, which would presumably get them on the SB list even if they're not eligible for two GPs otherwise, not to mention that they'd get a TEB host pick no matter what.
    Good points.

Sounds very mean to me. No one deserves an olympic gold, but if she wants to fight for it it's her choice. I'm sure Robin will be fine. Love how he held her fondly after their last Free skate.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Sounds very mean to me. No one deserves an olympic gold, but if she wants to fight for it it's her choice. I'm sure Robin will be fine. Love how he held her fondly after their last Free skate.
    Don't bother. Skater Boy is a known "Ssquared" Anti who now pretends to be concerned about Robin. It's Alionas life, she can do what she wants and has no obligation to give other skaters their 15 minutes of fame.

Custom Title
    I love that she wants to keep on, fighting for an Olympic gold. Go Aliona and Bruno! Sounds very mean to me. No one deserves an olympic gold, but if she wants to fight for it it's her choice. I'm sure Robin will be fine. Love how he held her fondly after their last Free skate.
    Good luck to her, but 1 perspective is to say - she is past the peak of her career and if she were to end her career today she would be (at least from an outsider's POV, maybe not her's) ending it on a high note/on top of the sport. A lot of people would say, why risk moving to a brand new partner where they may be a complete and total disaster.

^
    "My" above quote looks weird

Custom Title
    ^
    "My" above quote looks weird
    When I hit 'reply with quote' it only uses your post, not the post you replied to (at least I don't know how to make it do that).

Custom Title
    She's slender but with very well-built muscles. I think her body can hold up very well, but so much will depend on her partner.
    Quote Originally Posted by elee63 View Post
    Slender? FRAGILE? You're talking about a woman in pairs, correct?

Banned
    Belbin & Agosto, Nancy Kerrigan, Dubreuil & Lauzon, Pang & Tong, Manley, more talented and gave more to skating than Savcheno & Szolkowy? Are you on crack (and yes I am a huge Pang & Tong fan but I am not delusional either).

Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    Yes, you're right Alba that's another factor to consider. I don't think the judges will be that impressed. While it's true that Robin often was the weaker link in their skating I wonder about Bruno. In the end pair skating might not have been the best choice for Aliona. You succeed and fail with your partners performance.
    Although Dimitriev did it so who knows...but for him it was his third Olympics, for her would be the fourth time.

Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    I don't feel bad for Robin. He is finished with figure skating and obviously doesn't think it is the end of his life if he doesn't have the Gold Medal. He seems to have an healthy view of life and knows there is much more to living. He said his body is getting older and he feels it. I think he is also a soldier, a job that lot of german athletes have. So I wouldn't be afraid that he won't be able to pay the bills.
    MaiKatze, I'm hoping you can elucidate this further for me. I read that Ingo was involved in the Stasi and was in trouble for a long time post-Reunification. Robin was in the army and the army wouldn't continue to fund his skating if he stuck with Ingo. Robin refused to leave Ingo and thus they had to raise money in other ways. So does Robin still have the army's pension?

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast