Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

Quote Originally Posted by Pippuripihvi View Post
    Being born in the geographically asian part of Eurasia doesn't make someone Asian. The boundaries of Asia are culturally determined, and there's no way Yekaterinburg is an "Asian" city. And Julia is not Asian.
    And I guess that I am not american because I am not from the United States

On the Ice
    Really impressive crop-- with Radionova, Lipnitskaya, Pogo, and yes, even Sotnikova. Pogo really stood out today. But I gotta say that with the exception of Lippy, the costuming, music choice, and choreography is a bit dubious. It's kinda weird given that Russia has such a strong ballet tradition.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    I'm probably the only one who enjoys Mermaid-Pogo. I'm curious what she'll do next. One thing is for sure, Adelina cannot afford to rest on her laurels, but she is probably the one who has it the easiest next season.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    And I guess that I am not american because I am not from the United States
    Sorry, I don't get how this is connected and I am not sure what you mean And there's no such thing as America: there's North America, South America and The United States of America.

But I can tell you for sure that being born in the asian part of Russia doesn't make you Asian by default (at least, not in terms of appearance or cultural heritage). Ethnically people in the Asian part of Russia are mostly Caucasian. For more, you can read multiple wikipedia articles.

Custom Title
    Question is: which ones will hold up past puberty? Tuk was the undisputed top lady just a year ago and now people have forgotten about her after her terrible season. Hope Yulia and Pogo can maintain momentum.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Yes, that's the million dollar question. For obvious reasons I think Pogo is past the critical stage. Adelina, after a few years struggled and adjusted to her womanly body, Liza had a much harder time and didn't arrive there yet. The one I'm most worried about is Elena. She looks so tiny and frail. I hope puberty will be kind to her and Julia of course.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Question is: which ones will hold up past puberty? Tuk was the undisputed top lady just a year ago and now people have forgotten about her after her terrible season. Hope Yulia and Pogo can maintain momentum.
    Anna already has a woman's body; Adelina is probably done with growing too; Julia and Elena not sure.

Custom Title
    The crop of Russian girls is the most exciting factor for me to be a figure skating fan, more so than seeing an excellent Mao or Yuna.
    These girls have their own great styles, jumps, and none of their choreography is generic as most other junior ladies.

If the era of Asian dominance means beautiful performances of Yuna and Mao, I'm not happy at all it's over.
    But yes, the Russian girls are impressive. I fell in love with Anna at the worlds. Elena has enormous potential and I can't wait to see her next seasons. Adelina's jumps are very good, but she has to improve her skating (+she needs better choreography). I personally don't like Julia, but I appreciate her consistency and flexibility.

Custom Title
    Being born in the geographically asian part of Eurasia doesn't make someone Asian. The boundaries of Asia are culturally determined, and there's no way Yekaterinburg is an "Asian" city. And Julia is not Asian.
    +100500

Sorry, I don't get how this is connected and I am not sure what you mean And there's no such thing as America: there's North America, South America and The United States of America.

But I can tell you for sure that being born in the asian part of Russia doesn't make you Asian by default (at least, not in terms of appearance or cultural heritage). Ethnically people in the Asian part of Russia are mostly Caucasian. For more, you can read multiple wikipedia articles.
    ok, I am not expert about geography, I understand that exist race, like caucasians, etc. but I understand that for geography when someone is born in Brazil the person is brazilinan, Mexico (mexican, in Africa (continent) is african, Europe is european, America (continent) american, etc. probably I am wrong , if you have a bibliographic reference would be great.

And really the American continent doesnt exist???? I am not being sarcastic, I heard one time that had a proposal to divide like north america and the rest but it is official??? the American continent not exist anymore??? I am in another continent now??

I have never seen Anna P. before this WC 2014, and I have to say I am more impressed with her than the other Russian girls. She really has something "regal" about her, as the BBC commentator pointed out once; she doesn't turn figure skating into gymnastics, like Yulia, but she has a certain class, much like Yuna. If she developed this "it" factor into really feeling the music, her edgework, etc, I think she really could become the best in Russia, as well as the world. Her jump technique and presence on ice alreasy surpasses the rest of the Russian ladies.

ok, I am not expert about geography, I understand that exist race, like caucasians, etc. but I understand that for geography when someone is born in Brazil the person is brazilinan, Mexico (mexican, in Africa (continent) is african, Europe is european, America (continent) american, etc. probably I am wrong , if you have a bibliographic reference would be great.

And really the American continent doesnt exist???? I am not being sarcastic, I heard one time that had a proposal to divide like north america and the rest but it is official??? the American continent not exist anymore??? I am in another continent now??
    Ok no expert in geography but went to school in south America and was taught five continents, American been one. I moved to the US and in school they kept talking about 7 continets they divided North America (US, Canada) from South America. So hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Ok no expert in geography but went to school in south America and was taught five continents, American been one. I moved to the US and in school they kept talking about 7 continets they divided North America (US, Canada) from South America. So hope it helps
    oh, thank you Minze2001, I found this https://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/...regin.htm#ftnb so, it is nothing official or clear, each country say and does their own boundries, whatever, who study geography??

And come back to topic, I dont like Anna, sorry , not right now

Tripping on the Podium

I do not mean to sound offensive, but you can't mix continents with countries the way you did in your example. Those are different things, and you can't make comparisons using different systems because it causes confusion. Countries are established units everyone agrees on, and the concept of the continents is cultural. From what I see those things might be taught differently in different countries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent) I was taught 7 continents system. So no American continent for me

And in terms of geography Russia is considered a European country, although half of Russia's territory is in Asia. Someone born in Russia is Russian, and then depending on his ethnicity he can be asian or caucasian, etc. And there's no way you can talk about people being born in the Asian part of Russia as of asians (unless they ethnically belong to this group). By default they are europeans.

Anyway, we are totally off-topic

I just see that the next quad in ladies skating is going to be terrific!

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast