Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by s_parks View Post
    ITA. Especially loved her at senior Russian Nationals.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h61snzgk2E

She's super fast, super cute, almost as flexible as Yulia with fine jumps and presence, love her!
    The only thing I don't like is how she straightens her arms before some of the jumps, it just doesn't fit in with the flow imho.

Banned
    Do you think in a way Yulia has made things rough on other skaters because now casual fans expect skaters to be able to do an I spin and a perfectly vertical bielman spin etc. This is part of the reason I think Proklova will be the next real popular girl because she fits this modern mold.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    Do you think in a way Yulia has made things rough on other skaters because now casual fans expect skaters to be able to do an I spin and a perfectly vertical bielman spin etc. This is part of the reason I think Proklova will be the next real popular girl because she fits this modern mold.
    That's damn right. When I see how much effort it takes some skaters to make a lamentable i-spin I ask myself why they do it in the first place if it is so much worse than Yulia's? Bielman on the other hand looks good in most of the cases (may be the rotation is often slow) - hers is just perfect.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    No. Thank God figure skating is not about one hyper extended I spin or a vertical bielman. I love Proklova and think she's the most promising young skater, but not because of her bielman or I spin.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    No. Thank God figure skating is not about one hyper extended I spin or a vertical bielman.
    True, the question though is why one would do a particular element with the sub-par execution when the next skater will do it perfectly. Of course, figure skating is not about the i-spin. There are jumps, for one thing and many other things.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    True, the question though is why one would do a particular element with the sub-par execution when the next skater will do it perfectly. Of course, figure skating is not about the i-spin. There are jumps, for one thing and many other things.
    Why should other skaters also perform the triple lutz, triple toe combo when Yuna already does hers close to perfect? Why should other skaters do the triple axel when Yuzuru Hanyu does such a huge one with a one foot entrance? There isn't any harm in trying and just because Yulia's I-spin and Bielman are so jaw dropping doesn't mean no one else should try the element, this goes for all elements. Just because a skater isn't as flexible it doesn't mean judges will score them less, just that they'll give more GOE to the one that does it better. Yulia's I-spin isn't even consistently centred anyway and she needs to work on that. It's a competitive sport, people should try what they want to so that they can improve. None of my friends who only watch every 4 years thought Yulia was the standard anyway.

Custom Title
    My reasoning stays with the i-spin just because some very good skaters show so much effort to do the spin which is technically not even the i-spin as their body position is very far from an "i" it's much closer to "r" so that it should be qualified as the "r-spin". There are plenty of other spins where the difference in execution would not be that striking.

Tripping on the Podium
    I thought it used be called a Y spin...then Sasha came along and made it the I spin...

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leoncorazon View Post
    I thought it used be called a Y spin...then Sasha came along and made it the I spin...
    Michelle did the Y-spin; Sasha did the I-spin. I guess the I-spin is a variation of the Y-spin, but as of now they're two different spins. I'd say the Y-spin is done with only one arm supporting the free leg and variations to the I-spin involve both hands on the free leg in some way.

Julia's version is different b/c of the way she pulls her free leg closer to her body. Her hip flexibility also adds more to the spin.

I'm sure someone will come along who can do the spin like Julia. Point is they are more the exception to the I-spin than the rule. This girl can already do her needle spin.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Michelle did the Y-spin; Sasha did the I-spin.

Julia's version is different b/c of the way she pulls her free leg closer to her body. Her hip flexibility also adds more to the spin.

I'm sure someone will come along who can do the spin like Julia. Point is they are more the exception to the I-spin than the rule. This girl can already do her needle spin.
    Have you seen the new way Yulia is spinning her I-spin? She puts her arm inside of her free leg and leans in and I assume creating better centering and stability. The most impressive part for me is the clean exits she has developed. That will be the next step for Proklova who exits slowly and off rythym but no different than Yulia did at that age.

I saw a girl at my rink the other day making attempts at a change foot spin then taking it to something similar to Yulia's I-spin. She is very young so who knows but it's on people's minds.

If anyone is interested here is a video from one of her ice shows. The new spin is at the 4:10 mark.

http://youtu.be/Y1jM0dkZkt4

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Here is a new interview with Adelina:http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-thread/page15

Also:

I think Bel Suono musicians are these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYmN5...=RDBSWIrHECrSg
    That was a wonderful interview by Adelina. Thanks for the link Alba. She really holds nothing back in this interview and I like that she's telling it like it is. She hides nothing with it's about the hate or her relationship with her competitiors from Russia. That was a great read for Ade fans.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    The new spin is at the 4:10 mark.http://youtu.be/Y1jM0dkZkt4
    do you suppose that is *the* new spin she was talking about post-sochi?

Custom Title
    I think skaters should do the spins they want to do. Yes, Yulia has set the standard high. Her spins are amazing (some centering problems, but considering her insane positions, I can forgive those). But if someone else wants to go for the I-spin, go for it! If they don't do it as well, the judges just won't give them Yulia's GOE. I don't think they should not do the spin 'cause someone else can do it better; that would be, as Krunchii notes, the same as saying other skaters shouldn't do 3Lz-3T. Or Mao shouldn't do 3A since she's no Midori.

On the other hand, it's perfectly possible to be a great skater (and spinner) without hitting Yulia's positions. So if a skater is more comfortable getting the levels another way, and doesn't want to focus on flexibility, good for them too! There's room for all kinds of skaters.

Banned
    Competition pic I saw of Polina. She has the icy stare down already http://cs616822.vk.me/v616822463/bd97/s3S7SkCbMvM.jpg

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchii View Post
    Yulia's I-spin isn't even consistently centred anyway and she needs to work on that.
    I think it was very well centered at Euros, Worlds and Sochi individual, but I'm not sure about the later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    On the other hand, it's perfectly possible to be a great skater (and spinner) without hitting Yulia's positions. So if a skater is more comfortable getting the levels another way, and doesn't want to focus on flexibility, good for them too! There's room for all kinds of skaters.
    Mao does get level 4 for her spins for example. They don't have to be all the same, even if they could do the same spins.
    I like Adelina's spin very much.

Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast