Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 375 of 753

Thread: Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

  1. #361
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    they will withstand puberty and still beat Osmond
    I wouldn't dare to bet on any single skater to withstand puberty, but considering the numbers of very talented young Russian ladies that are coming through, I think it is very likely that at least three will definitely withstand puberty and be ready. (unfortunately it is hard to know which three). And because at worlds and Olympics 3 per country is the max, the chances are pretty good for Russia (but not that good for each of them because the competitions among them for the three spots will be harsh.)

  2. #362
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I wouldn't dare to bet on any single skater to withstand puberty, but considering the numbers of very talented young Russian ladies that are coming through, I think it is very likely that at least three will definitely withstand puberty and be ready. (unfortunately it is hard to know which three). And because at worlds and Olympics 3 per country is the max, the chances are pretty good for Russia (but not that good for each of them because the competitions among them for the three spots will be harsh.)
    quantity and quality is the best weapon

  3. #363
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    343
    Don't worry too much. I think there is a natural selection system. Look at who survived in the past.

    Leonova, Makarova, Biryukova -> Leonova (resists the years passing)

    Adelina and Liza -> Adelina (not very consistent but won OGM)

    3 Polinas -> None managed to be a world star, though Korobeynikova conquered hearts of many fans

    Julia, Anna, Elena -> all looking good for now, but who knows what will happen

    Maria, Serafima, Alexandra and Evgenia -> ?

    Tsurskaya, Bezrukova, Gubanova, Nugumanova -> ?

  4. #364
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post

    Julia, Anna, Elena -> all looking good for now, but who knows what will happen

    Maria, Serafima, Alexandra and Evgenia -> ?

    Tsurskaya, Bezrukova, Gubanova, Nugumanova -> ?
    Is it a quiz?

    Maria, Serafima, Alexandra and Evgenia -> Serafima and Alexandra, please.
    Tsurskaya, Bezrukova, Gubanova, Nugumanova -> Nugumanova, if I may choose

  5. #365
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    I kind of imagined that the young skaters atleast attended a normal school, but it seems to be difficult to do both as an elite skater.
    Your perception is incorrect - most competitive (not even at the elite levels) skaters home school. That is so they can get the good ice time.

  6. #366
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Is it a quiz?

    Maria, Serafima, Alexandra and Evgenia -> Serafima and Alexandra, please.
    Tsurskaya, Bezrukova, Gubanova, Nugumanova -> Nugumanova, if I may choose
    I love all of them but if I have to, I will choose Sotskova and Serafima. I think they are more unique and I like watching different styles. Proklova is fast and energetic but reminds me of Radionova and spinning like Lipnitskaya.

  7. #367
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    190
    Sotskova!!! of course!!

  8. #368
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5,037
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    they will withstand puberty and still beat Osmond
    Similar to how Lipnitskaia and Radionova have so far withstood puberty and have beaten certain Disney-channel-wannabe skaters.

  9. #369
    Custom Title Rhodium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    Don't worry too much. I think there is a natural selection system. Look at who survived in the past.
    A natural selection system works everywhere, but now the population is very large. There were 12 competitors at GPF and JGPF last season, and 8 (!!!) were Russians.

    Lets suppose that Lip, Sot, Rad and Pogo will be in good shape next season. It would be unfair to leave somebody without international competitions. It would be a good idea to send to Europeans and Worlds different girls. For example, Lip, Rad, Pogo to Europeans, Lip, Rad, Sot to Worlds. It will be not so critical next season, but in 2015-16 it would be a solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    Maria, Serafima, Alexandra and Evgenia -> ?
    My favourites are Serafima and Maria. Maria is our hope. She is wonderful!

  10. #370
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,392
    Thanks to FSU and Yehudi: Moscow federation site confirms Sakhanovich is with Tutberidze. It also makes official Ilinykh's move to Alexeeva's group. It looks like also Tarasenko and Kurbanov are with Eteri.
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...er-2014/page32

    Too many....

  11. #371
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East Iowa
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    What's strange about that? People are different, some are extroverted, immediately friendly, and some are introverted.
    sorry i wasn't being clear my point was that i accept the article's claim of a relationship betw yulia and adyan because everything else the article wrote has apparently turned out to be fairly accurate. it seems obvious to me that the reporter has an inside source. i also should not have referred to the publication as a tabloid as others did. i recall looking at the paper's wikipedia page & concluding it was a very mainstream publication with a wide audience. though i still believe the article was disrespectful to yulia and therefore should not have been printed.

  12. #372
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East Iowa
    Posts
    96
    speaking of adyan, why is this renaissance of russian talent only limited to ladies? where are all the young russian men?

  13. #373
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,392
    Quote Originally Posted by ManLady View Post
    sorry i wasn't being clear my point was that i accept the article's claim of a relationship betw yulia and adyan because everything else the article wrote has apparently turned out to be fairly accurate. it seems obvious to me that the reporter has an inside source. i also should not have referred to the publication as a tabloid as others did. i recall looking at the paper's wikipedia page & concluding it was a very mainstream publication with a wide audience. though i still believe the article was disrespectful to yulia and therefore should not have been printed.
    I have no idea about her and Pitkeev tbh. Still, I think it must've been a child thing, even this "relationship" with Serafima.
    I don't know but for me they're far too young to see them as in a real "relationship".

    As for the newspaper, well, some will stop at nothing just to sell a bit more.

    speaking of adyan, why is this renaissance of russian talent only limited to ladies? where are all the young russian men?
    I've been thinking about that too. They had so many great examples, I have no idea why they have gone so downhill in that sector.

  14. #374
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by ManLady View Post
    speaking of adyan, why is this renaissance of russian talent only limited to ladies? where are all the young russian men?
    Too few boys come and stay in FS. So we have a slow deterioration over the years. With the girls on the other hand it's a boom. Especially now. Daughters of some of my friends all want to be "like Yulia". Some of them start as "late" as 8-9 while most start at 4-5. It means that "the Russian wave" with the ladies has come to stay. With the men god knows. Traditional views are pushed here. And these views also mean that hockey is for boys - FS is for girls. That's why our ladies will never win in hockey over USA or Canada. I might try FS with my son but in the end of the day it will be up to him to decide. And the risks are high that he might be ridiculed at school for practicing "girl's sport".

  15. #375
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,782
    Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    Too few boys come and stay in FS. So we have a slow deterioration over the years. With the girls on the other hand it's a boom. Especially now. Daughters of some of my friends all want to be "like Yulia". Some of them start as "late" as 8-9 while most start at 4-5. It means that "the Russian wave" with the ladies has come to stay. With the men god knows. Traditional views are pushed here. And these views also mean that hockey is for boys - FS is for girls. That's why our ladies will never win in hockey over USA or Canada. I might try FS with my son but in the end of the day it will be up to him to decide. And the risks are high that he might be ridiculed at school for practicing "girl's sport".
    Thank you for sharing this. It's sad to hear boys aren't encouraged to try figure skating. I was always under the impression that, in Russia, "traditional values" were not the same as those in North America. I thought things like ballet, music, and yes, figure skating, weren't seen as feminine there. Hence why Russia has given the world so many great dancers, as well as an unbroken line of men's Olympic champions in FS from 1994-2006 (from 1992 if we count Viktor Petrenko competing for the United Team). I thought a different set of traditional values may have contributed to why Russia had so many greats.

    I'm saddened to hear that's not the case. Or perhaps it was the case back when Urmanov and Petrenko were training, but values have changed? Values of masculinity from North America could've bled into Russia, hence why figure skating is considered too feminine now?

    But it's interesting to note, before Petrenko and Urmanov, the Soviet Union/Russia didn't have any men's Olympic champions. The line went Sweden-Austria-USA-UK-USA again-Russia. Perhaps it's simply the end of an era (Plush held the fort as long as his body possibly could, and it nearly got him paralyzed). But Russia looks poised to become the next USA in ladies, especially since the USA itself is struggling there.

Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •