Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Thank you for sharing this. It's sad to hear boys aren't encouraged to try figure skating. I was always under the impression that, in Russia, "traditional values" were not the same as those in North America. I thought things like ballet, music, and yes, figure skating, weren't seen as feminine there. Hence why Russia has given the world so many great dancers, as well as an unbroken line of men's Olympic champions in FS from 1994-2006 (from 1992 if we count Viktor Petrenko competing for the United Team). I thought a different set of traditional values may have contributed to why Russia had so many greats.

I'm saddened to hear that's not the case. Or perhaps it was the case back when Urmanov and Petrenko were training, but values have changed? Values of masculinity from North America could've bled into Russia, hence why figure skating is considered too feminine now?
    That's what I thought too. :-(

But it's interesting to note, before Petrenko and Urmanov, the Soviet Union/Russia didn't have any men's Olympic champions. The line went Sweden-Austria-USA-UK-USA again-Russia. Perhaps it's simply the end of an era (Plush held the fort as long as his body possibly could, and it nearly got him paralyzed).
    In fact during that period the Soviet Union was strong in hockey, so maybe the trend is back. They have the money now for the hockey players.

But Russia looks poised to become the next USA in ladies, especially since the USA itself is struggling there.
    I think USA has some very good young ladies, like Gold and Edmunds.

Yulia Lipnitskaya-san, Roshia! Rhodium's Avatar
    Reports about Maria S.: she lives and trains in Reutov, Russia; she is studying remotely and likes mathematics; she came to FS at the age of 3; Svetlana Panova has always been her coach; she wanted to go to Junior Worlds (it was after JGPF) and Olympics.

Maria about her idols, Patrick Chan and Johnny Weir.

Custom Title
    In fact during that period the Soviet Union was strong in hockey, so maybe the trend is back. They have the money now for the hockey players.
    Shifting values of masculinity? Or perhaps simply a funding issue--there's no money to be good at both FS and hockey.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodium View Post
    Reports about Maria S.: she lives and trains in Reutov, Russia; she is studying remotely and likes mathematics; she came to FS at the age of 3; Svetlana Panova has always been her coach; she wanted to go to Junior Worlds (it was after JGPF) and Olympics.

Maria about her idols, Patrick Chan and Johnny Weir.
    Aw, that's cute of her to look up to Chan and Weir. It's also nice to see that she's already regarding the quality of skating as important, and not just the jumps, and understanding it was a huge reason for Chan's success and being renowned as one of the best skaters ever.

Shifting values of masculinity? Or perhaps simply a funding issue--there's no money to be good at both FS and hockey.
    I think they always loved Hockey more than FS, at least the men. I also think they put more money in hockey, even in football since it's also private, than FS that's for sure.

Custom Title
    Oh yeah, I suspect if you polled Russia at any time in the last ~30 years, hockey would come out ahead of FS. In absolute numbers of both popularity and money, FS probably never overtakes hockey in Russia. But maybe things shifted relatively? (For instance, maybe today hockey is two times more popular than FS, while back when Urmanov was competing it was 1.5x more popular? Obviously, just a guess, and I'm pulling these numbers out of a hat. )

Yulia Lipnitskaya-san, Roshia! Rhodium's Avatar
    There was an opinion poll in Russia before Sochi. People were asked what sport they would watch at the Olympics. Results was:
    1. Biathlon (59 %), women three times more than men.
    2. Ice hockey (49 %), men two times more than women.
    3. Figure skating (39 %).
    4. Сross country skiing (34 %).
    5. Bobsleigh (14 %).

By the way, Khanty-Mansiysk received Biathlon World Championship two times

Banned
    I would say a straight male is more likely to get into skating there than here.

-
    Sotskova is good but her body type scares me for the future. So rail thin.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post

-
    Sotskova is good but her body type scares me for the future. So rail thin.
    Depends... during the Olympics I know a lot of straight guys who would watch it. Just not otherwise.

Custom Title
    Thank you for sharing this. It's sad to hear boys aren't encouraged to try figure skating. I was always under the impression that, in Russia, "traditional values" were not the same as those in North America. I thought things like ballet, music, and yes, figure skating, weren't seen as feminine there. Hence why Russia has given the world so many great dancers, as well as an unbroken line of men's Olympic champions in FS from 1994-2006 (from 1992 if we count Viktor Petrenko competing for the United Team). I thought a different set of traditional values may have contributed to why Russia had so many greats.

I'm saddened to hear that's not the case. Or perhaps it was the case back when Urmanov and Petrenko were training, but values have changed? Values of masculinity from North America could've bled into Russia, hence why figure skating is considered too feminine now?

But it's interesting to note, before Petrenko and Urmanov, the Soviet Union/Russia didn't have any men's Olympic champions. The line went Sweden-Austria-USA-UK-USA again-Russia. Perhaps it's simply the end of an era (Plush held the fort as long as his body possibly could, and it nearly got him paralyzed). But Russia looks poised to become the next USA in ladies, especially since the USA itself is struggling there.
    Ballet is different: we have special ballet schools were kids also receive normal education. Boys in FS go to regular schools and bullying takes place there - it was an essential reason why I quit at the age of 10 just having learnt double salchow and flip shifting to speed skating. On the other hand, the intake at the level of kindergarden was always high including the boys. So, I guess, the numbers matter. May be only 5% of those who entered at 5 lasted till 15 but it was enough to get Urmanov, Yagudin, and Pluschenko.

Now for some reason there are also problems with the boys' early intake. My friend sent both the son and the daughter to FS. When they both stopped he received several calls all about whether the son was going to continue - the percentage is different now even among youngsters and coaches preach on the boys.

Custom Title
    Don't know if this was posted before, but here is a video from Korean TV about russian girls and figure skating schools. Hope you will be able to see it, cause I couldn't find it on youtube.
    http://vk.com/id16075772?z=video1607...videos16075772

Including Radionova practising new FS, Medveda, slightly Sakhanovich, Pogorilaya)

Rinkside
    Thank you for that video link! Sounds like Radionova's FS will be to Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto no. 3, or at least part of it will be.

Custom Title
    Could someone translate what are they saying(russian skaters and coaches)please? I don't understand Russian.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    Ballet is different: we have special ballet schools were kids also receive normal education. Boys in FS go to regular schools and bullying takes place there - it was an essential reason why I quit at the age of 10 just having learnt double salchow and flip shifting to speed skating. On the other hand, the intake at the level of kindergarden was always high including the boys. So, I guess, the numbers matter. May be only 5% of those who entered at 5 lasted till 15 but it was enough to get Urmanov, Yagudin, and Pluschenko.

Now for some reason there are also problems with the boys' early intake. My friend sent both the son and the daughter to FS. When they both stopped he received several calls all about whether the son was going to continue - the percentage is different now even among youngsters and coaches preach on the boys.
    The bullying. I've heard of this, but I'd hoped reports were exaggerated, or that things have changed now. I'm sorry to hear you had to quit. What the heck were the teachers doing? (Not doing their jobs, evidently)

Maybe, because of all the bullying, parents don't send their kids to FS to begin with? Hence why there's also problems with early intake. Perhaps FS needs a special school just like ballet.

I'm trying to reconcile the bullying with the poll that puts FS at #3 in the Winter Olympics. It seems like FS is still very popular in Russia, but those who dislike it really dislike it?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    I don't think that being straight or gay has anything to do with whether one starts skating or not. The children start skating in Russia when they are 4-5 years old. At that time I don't think they have any inclination what their sexuality would be in the future.

Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast