Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 769

Thread: Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

  1. #91
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    36
    I was really impressed with Anna P at Worlds, having read a few interviews I like her even more. She seems to be grounded, levelheaded and mature beyond her age girl. I’ve come across one interview taken straight after China Cup and translate here a part of it (sorry - little time may be not a good translation):

    ‘‘Q: You didn’t hide your emotions when finished in first ahead of Carolina Costner. Do you think she might have been hurt by it?
    A: No, I don’t think so, at least she didn’t show it. But who I really managed to unnerve was Adelina Sotnikova. She was really angry that I did better than her and I think our next competition won’t be easy. Even during training sessions in China she used some dirty tactics. Mind you, Adelina is a honey outside the rink but on the rink she can be very intimidating. I didn’t let it unbalance me, it was even interesting to watch like some perfomance. She would stand there not looking like not noticing me at all, but just when I would pass past her preparing for a jump she would follow me so closely that I would have to give up well knowing that if that was anyone else they would let me to do a jump but not Adelina and that if I still went for a jump we would sure crash into each other. Her purpose was to demoralize me but it didn’t work!’’

    http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/656865

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    old news, and that was misquoted

  3. #93
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa_ire View Post
    I was really impressed with Anna P at Worlds, having read a few interviews I like her even more. She seems to be grounded, levelheaded and mature beyond her age girl. I’ve come across one interview taken straight after China Cup and translate here a part of it (sorry - little time may be not a good translation):

    ‘‘Q: You didn’t hide your emotions when finished in first ahead of Carolina Costner. Do you think she might have been hurt by it?
    A: No, I don’t think so, at least she didn’t show it. But who I really managed to unnerve was Adelina Sotnikova. She was really angry that I did better than her and I think our next competition won’t be easy. Even during training sessions in China she used some dirty tactics. Mind you, Adelina is a honey outside the rink but on the rink she can be very intimidating. I didn’t let it unbalance me, it was even interesting to watch like some perfomance. She would stand there not looking like not noticing me at all, but just when I would pass past her preparing for a jump she would follow me so closely that I would have to give up well knowing that if that was anyone else they would let me to do a jump but not Adelina and that if I still went for a jump we would sure crash into each other. Her purpose was to demoralize me but it didn’t work!’’

    http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/656865
    I don't think that bashing another skater shows a mature mind

  4. #94
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    941
    You know that how?

    @melissa_ire: Thank you again! I like Anna a lot, too, and she was indeed the most impressive skater to me (aside from Mao) in the WC. I like her feisty but clear-headed attitude in that interview. She is so young and has so many possibilities. I hope she will return next season with fantastic programs to shock the world.

  5. #95
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    36
    Well sorry I must have missed that discussion. Misquoted in what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    old news, and that was misquoted

  6. #96
    Tripping on the Podium jcsamex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by luisARG View Post
    I think the best russian baby is Maria Sotskova, she is so stylish and jazzy.. she will be the next Carolina Kostner.. she is very diferent of others russian, all Slutskaya o Butyrskaya copies..Sotskova is really a little Kostner
    I agree. That girl has so much potential.

    I love Adelina but I think it's gonna be more than difficult for her to keep up with all the younger girls (and she's only 17 for Christ sake).

  7. #97
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa_ire View Post
    Well sorry I must have missed that discussion. Misquoted in what exactly?
    She never said about "dirty tactics", the rest is more or less correct.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa_ire View Post
    Well sorry I must have missed that discussion. Misquoted in what exactly?
    misquoted words of course manipulated by lying journalist of course

  9. #99
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    I can totally see that Adelina might try and impede practices. Another Russian skater who was irritating to watch during practice was Tut. Alena Lenova, too, was really obvious. And the older Helgesson sister, too. She was pretty annoying to watch in practice as well.

    Fortunately, during Worlds, all the skaters were very respectful and there didn't seem to be any of that crap.

  10. #100
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    She never said about "dirty tactics", the rest is more or less correct.
    I think I apologised beforehand it wasn't to be a word by word translation. I don't know either of them personally and journalists not to be trusted but I kind of find easy to believe that Adelina is capable of err.. strong emotions and that she is not a good loser. Just remember her reactions when she wasnt in for a team event. To Anna's credit she did say in that interview that outside rink Adelina is very nice person

  11. #101
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    340
    So much b.s. Sport is a mental game. If someone comes here for pure art and pristine hearts for the sake of universal goodness and world peace then I feel sorry for that loser.
    Athletes are superhumans both in bodies and minds. Their level of focus, will to win and extreme level of training is incomprehensible to us, fat, lazy and obnoxious bystanders sitting in front of TV pretending we are on a moral position to judge them.

    The level of competition, starting at age of five or less, in the Russian skating clubs is more than you can imagine. And it's the same in all kids sport clubs all over the world. In kids soccer clubs, in girls gymnastic, tracks, swimming, in football boot-camps, anywhere. If someone is turned off by mental games and "dirty" tricks then the person should focus on Disney movies and don't go anywhere beyond.
    You can't imagine the amount of dirt in my son's soccer club. And it's only on the school level. And imagine what must be going on when the prize is the national exposure and there are hundreds of other kids waiting for your simple error, so that they can take your position and never feel sorry for it. This is a very toxic world and if you look for purity and art then you are ridiculous.

    Of course, the journalist are even worse. But it's the same goddamn thing: they blow the stories out of proportion because they fight for survival too!

    So if someone is offended by Adelina's or whoever's so called "dirty" tricks, especially when it's magnified by idiot journalists, then that person should spend the rest of her life hidden under the bed.

  12. #102
    Tripping on the Podium jcsamex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    So much b.s. Sport is a mental game. If someone comes here for pure art and pristine hearts for the sake of universal goodness and world peace then I feel sorry for that loser.
    Athletes are superhumans both in bodies and minds. Their level of focus, will to win and extreme level of training is incomprehensible to us, fat, lazy and obnoxious bystanders sitting in front of TV pretending we are on a moral position to judge them.

    The level of competition, starting at age of five or less, in the Russian skating clubs is more than you can imagine. And it's the same in all kids sport clubs all over the world. In kids soccer clubs, in girls gymnastic, tracks, swimming, in football boot-camps, anywhere. If someone is turned off by mental games and "dirty" tricks then the person should focus on Disney movies and don't go anywhere beyond.
    You can't imagine the amount of dirt in my son's soccer club. And it's only on the school level. And imagine what must be going on when the prize is the national exposure and there are hundreds of other kids waiting for your simple error, so that they can take your position and never feel sorry for it. This is a very toxic world and if you look for purity and art then you are ridiculous.

    Of course, the journalist are even worse. But it's the same goddamn thing: they blow the stories out of proportion because they fight for survival too!

    So if someone is offended by Adelina's or whoever's so called "dirty" tricks, especially when it's magnified by idiot journalists, then that person should spend the rest of her life hidden under the bed.
    I couldn't agree more.

    We, the audience, would like to think our skaters are or should be that little miss perfect role model for young children all over the world. Let's not forget these girls are teenagers who happen to be under the same changes other people their age are but they also have to face all challenges and implications of a sport like this.

    I just don't get the need (especially in th US) to portray female figure skaters like perfect princesses. If anything, I think It'd be more interesting to the public to see how these girls truly are, even with somewhat 'flawed' behavior.

  13. #103
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    941
    I am fine with that, too, as long as one views every athlete with that same attitude. I do have trouble, though, when people change their minds seemingly with no principled basis.

    So I suppose, jcsamex and CezarMart believe that athletes can (and perhaps should) persue their goals by any means necessary including dirty tricks, within legal boundaries? Can I hold those views against you guys in the future if I see inconsistent comments from you?

  14. #104
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsamex View Post
    We, the audience, would like to think our skaters are or should be that little miss perfect role model for young children all over the world.
    But the point is that they are the role models. They work hard beyond the capability of everybody on this forum, they are extremely focused and motivated, they are mature way beyond their years. They carry the entire nations on their tiny shoulders, their minds are stronger than all minds combined of each smartass on this forum, including mine. They are the best of the best: in minds, bodies, dedication and focus. They ARE role models!

    Do you really want your daughter to be a little, weak and high pitched Snow White princess, who is pushed around by everybody, and all she does is a little squeaky cry? Or you want your daughter to be strong in head and body who stands her ground when a bully attacks?

  15. #105
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by usethis2 View Post
    So I suppose, jcsamex and CezarMart believe that athletes can (and perhaps should) persue their goals by any means necessary including dirty tricks, within legal boundaries? Can I hold those views against you guys in the future if I see inconsistent comments from you?
    I don't know what you call "dirty".
    If Anna couldn't focus on jumping because she felt Adelina was too close then maybe she is too weak for the sport, isn't she?

    P.S. Am I not on your ignored list?

Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •