Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters | Golden Skate

Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

minze

Medalist
This Russian babies are on fire. Yulia is as consistent as Kim Yuna, Elena has the it factor, Anna is a technical power house, Adelina has big jumps. Who can challenge them? Even if you account puberty, they will have someone.
The era of Asian dominance is over

Barb

Record Breaker
Really, I dont know what Russia did but it worked very well, they are wonderful, especially Elena and Adelina :love:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
also there is Proklova, Sakahnovich, Medvedeva, Sotskova, eligible for 2018
then Gubanova, Tsurskaya, Naugumova etc. all eligible for 2022

US though cannot compete in quantity have now good skaters to choose from
Gracie Gold, Polina Edmunds, Karen Chen, Amber Glenn

also Japan will rise again in 2022 with Marin Honda etc.

I agree the trend will be back to US-Russia rivalry for some time
I predict blondes will win a World title

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yulia had one helluva season.

2 GP Golds
1 GPF Silver(first appearance)
1 Russian National Silver
1 Euro's Gold (youngest ever and first appearance)
1 Olympic Gold(team event but was a huge presence)
1 Silver medal at her debut WC's

That is on par for greatness. If she can learn to except mistakes and not beat herself up she will continue to grow. Mao and Yuna fell many times and still dominated. I think she grows up a little each time and the more she learns to enjoy skating the more her expressions will continue to grow. I for one am not worried as some are for her to have awful growth spurt. If it happens now or next year she has plenty of time to adjust for the next Olympics.

So many up and comers but Yulia has a presence that is hard to put your finger on and even her haters find some charm to it.

Jump

Rinkside
I'm very impressed with Anna. This WC was the first time I've seen this 15yr old, and she wowed me. Her technical skills are solid, and she has powerful jumps with good carry. The only other skater who wowed me like this was 16 yr old Yuna Kim at 2007 WC with her El Tango de Roxanne. Anna has the technical skills. She just needs to work on the artistry part with the right choreographer.

Elistra

Rinkside
I'm very impressed with Anna. This WC was the first time I've seen this 15yr old, and she wowed me. Her technical skills are solid, and she has powerful jumps with good carry. The only other skater who wowed me like this was 16 yr old Yuna Kim at 2007 WC with her El Tango de Roxanne. Anna has the technical skills. She just needs to work on the artistry part with the right choreographer.

What a compliment! So Anna P. is the future Yuna Kim? That'd be great, hope it happens.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I want Anna and Elena to go places. I'm confident about Anna, but a little scared for Elena. I hope she can leave her mark in the senior circuit next year. Whatever happens 3 spots are not enough.....

hanca

Record Breaker
At least they have 3 places at both Europeans and Worlds. But 4 skaters that would deserve it based on the results on this season (Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Radionova and Pogorilaya) and a few more who may (or may not) sort out their problems and surprise us during the next season (Tuktamysheva, Leonova, Gosviani and maybe even Artemeva). I have already given up on Agafonova, Biryukova and Korobeynikova. I don't think they have a chance now. :no:

Actually, I think it is a good job that Proklova, Sakahnovich, Medvedeva, Sotskova must stay one year longer at juniors. It would be heart breaking to see them missing out on the major events only because it is too many of them in seniors.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I doubt we see Sotnikova continue beyond another season or two, if that much. She has carried the weight of Russian expectations and pressure for years now, she has won the ultimate prize and has a group of newbies hot on her heels. As for those newbies, I hope they develop well, become consistent and can thrive under the pressure of expectations their early success is creating. It's a lot easier to get to the top than to stay there but time will tell.

Jump

Rinkside
What a compliment! So Anna P. is the future Yuna Kim? That'd be great, hope it happens.

It's way too early to say Anna is the future Yuna Kim. Kim is a legend. Anna is just getting started. But she has the tools. Whether can further develop it and become a champion like Kim is up to her and Russia. Yuna had the total package of excellent technical skills, great artistry, mental toughness, and heart of a champion. It took Yuna years to develop the last three and become the complete skater. Let's see if Anna can do the same. She certainly has the potential.

elee63

Final Flight
Feel bad for them. Can you imagine the stress of trying to win one of the top spots, amongst so many other talented determined girls, some with better backing than others...

Selene

On the Ice
Feel bad for them. Can you imagine the stress of trying to win one of the top spots, amongst so many other talented determined girls, some with better backing than others...

I agree. Some of them should change nationalities or they are never going to be able to participate in the World Championships or Olympics. The competition is just so fierce! The Russian girls are all so consistent and have great technical content, because they would be buried in the standings at Russian Nationals otherwise. Even Tuktamysheva, who finished 10th at Russian Nationals, would make most countries' teams. But she has no shot in Russia - because the competition is just too tough and other skaters have better reputations.

hanca

Record Breaker
I agree. Some of them should change nationalities or they are never going to be able to participate in the World Championships or Olympics. The competition is just so fierce! The Russian girls are all so consistent and have great technical content, because they would be buried in the standings at Russian Nationals otherwise. Even Tuktamysheva, who finished 10th at Russian Nationals, would make most countries' teams. But she has no shot in Russia - because the competition is just too tough and other skaters have better reputations.

I agree. It is sad that some countries have no one and others have so many that even 3Lz-3T in their SP and 7 triples clean FS will not guarantee them their spot at the Europeans/Worlds. Such a waste of talent. With Jenna McCorkell retiring, GBR doesn't have any lady! Come on, girls, can't you find any connection to Britain? Any great grandmother being British by any chance? Alternatively, I could adopt you...