Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Oh yeah, I suspect if you polled Russia at any time in the last ~30 years, hockey would come out ahead of FS. In absolute numbers of both popularity and money, FS probably never overtakes hockey in Russia. But maybe things shifted relatively? (For instance, maybe today hockey is two times more popular than FS, while back when Urmanov was competing it was 1.5x more popular? Obviously, just a guess, and I'm pulling these numbers out of a hat. :laugh:)

Rhodium

On the Ice
There was an opinion poll in Russia before Sochi. People were asked what sport they would watch at the Olympics. Results was:
1. Biathlon (59 %), women three times more than men.
2. Ice hockey (49 %), men two times more than women.
3. Figure skating (39 %).
4. Сross country skiing (34 %).
5. Bobsleigh (14 %).

By the way, Khanty-Mansiysk received Biathlon World Championship two times :)

YLFan

Match Penalty
I would say a straight male is more likely to get into skating there than here.

-
Sotskova is good but her body type scares me for the future. So rail thin.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

-
Sotskova is good but her body type scares me for the future. So rail thin.

Depends... during the Olympics I know a lot of straight guys who would watch it. Just not otherwise.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Thank you for sharing this. It's sad to hear boys aren't encouraged to try figure skating. I was always under the impression that, in Russia, "traditional values" were not the same as those in North America. I thought things like ballet, music, and yes, figure skating, weren't seen as feminine there. Hence why Russia has given the world so many great dancers, as well as an unbroken line of men's Olympic champions in FS from 1994-2006 (from 1992 if we count Viktor Petrenko competing for the United Team). I thought a different set of traditional values may have contributed to why Russia had so many greats.

I'm saddened to hear that's not the case. Or perhaps it was the case back when Urmanov and Petrenko were training, but values have changed? Values of masculinity from North America could've bled into Russia, hence why figure skating is considered too feminine now?

But it's interesting to note, before Petrenko and Urmanov, the Soviet Union/Russia didn't have any men's Olympic champions. The line went Sweden-Austria-USA-UK-USA again-Russia. Perhaps it's simply the end of an era (Plush held the fort as long as his body possibly could, and it nearly got him paralyzed). But Russia looks poised to become the next USA in ladies, especially since the USA itself is struggling there.

Ballet is different: we have special ballet schools were kids also receive normal education. Boys in FS go to regular schools and bullying takes place there - it was an essential reason why I quit at the age of 10 just having learnt double salchow and flip shifting to speed skating. On the other hand, the intake at the level of kindergarden was always high including the boys. So, I guess, the numbers matter. May be only 5% of those who entered at 5 lasted till 15 but it was enough to get Urmanov, Yagudin, and Pluschenko.

Now for some reason there are also problems with the boys' early intake. My friend sent both the son and the daughter to FS. When they both stopped he received several calls all about whether the son was going to continue - the percentage is different now even among youngsters and coaches preach on the boys.

laybackspinster

Spectator
Thank you for that video link! Sounds like Radionova's FS will be to Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto no. 3, or at least part of it will be.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Could someone translate what are they saying(russian skaters and coaches)please? I don't understand Russian.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Ballet is different: we have special ballet schools were kids also receive normal education. Boys in FS go to regular schools and bullying takes place there - it was an essential reason why I quit at the age of 10 just having learnt double salchow and flip shifting to speed skating. On the other hand, the intake at the level of kindergarden was always high including the boys. So, I guess, the numbers matter. May be only 5% of those who entered at 5 lasted till 15 but it was enough to get Urmanov, Yagudin, and Pluschenko.

Now for some reason there are also problems with the boys' early intake. My friend sent both the son and the daughter to FS. When they both stopped he received several calls all about whether the son was going to continue - the percentage is different now even among youngsters and coaches preach on the boys.
The bullying. :cry: I've heard of this, but I'd hoped reports were exaggerated, or that things have changed now. I'm sorry to hear you had to quit. What the heck were the teachers doing? (Not doing their jobs, evidently)

Maybe, because of all the bullying, parents don't send their kids to FS to begin with? Hence why there's also problems with early intake. Perhaps FS needs a special school just like ballet.

I'm trying to reconcile the bullying with the poll that puts FS at #3 in the Winter Olympics. It seems like FS is still very popular in Russia, but those who dislike it really dislike it?

hanca

Record Breaker

I don't think that being straight or gay has anything to do with whether one starts skating or not. The children start skating in Russia when they are 4-5 years old. At that time I don't think they have any inclination what their sexuality would be in the future.

Alba

Record Breaker
Where is Polina Korobeynikova and what is she doing for the next season? Any news?

hanca

Record Breaker
Where is Polina Korobeynikova and what is she doing for the next season? Any news?

No news yet although sometimes very soon Russia should announce their team for the new season. Saying that, I would be very surprised if she is on international team. She might be in reserves or they may drop her completely, but she had a bad results for at least two seasons and Russians have plenty of promising ladies to be giving second and third chances to someone who is not delivering. I am worried about Nikol Gosviani; although she had better results than Korobeynikova, it still may not be good enough. Their senior team will be definitely Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Pogorilaya, Radionova, and very likely also Leonova and Tuktamysheva (getting second chance). Not sure about the others.

Alba

Record Breaker
No news yet although sometimes very soon Russia should announce their team for the new season. Saying that, I would be very surprised if she is on international team. She might be in reserves or they may drop her completely, but she had a bad results for at least two seasons and Russians have plenty of promising ladies to be giving second and third chances to someone who is not delivering. I am worried about Nikol Gosviani; although she had better results than Korobeynikova, it still may not be good enough. Their senior team will be definitely Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Pogorilaya, Radionova, and very likely also Leonova and Tuktamysheva (getting second chance). Not sure about the others.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I like her a lot, but you are right Russia has so many ladies. It's crazy just to think about all of them.
I actually want to make a video collection with all the ladies so I can have a proper look of their performance, because I'm getting confused with so many of them. :confused::popcorn:

hanca

Record Breaker
Russian babies four years ago... :popcorn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJp3QQyQaDg

... and one of the comments then: "As a russian I honestly hope that at least 1 or 2 of them will break through to the top level..." :laugh:;)

Well, 2-3 of them did. Sotnikova, Lipitskaya and Radionova are still doing pretty well. Tuktamysheva had a bad season but I wouldn't write her off yet. The rest are unfortunately out of their chances. Very sad to watch all those talented youngsters and known what we known now. I wonder who from those current youngsters (Sakhanovich, Medvedeva, Proklova. sotskova) will make it and who will just disappear.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah it is pretty sad that like 7 Russians could all be internationally threats and even future World medalists but half of them will have to fight for it. It's astounding how many 3-3 combos were landed at the last Nationals/Junior Nationals. It'll come down to politicking more than talent I'm afraid, when determining who gets opportunities, given how deep their field is.

Country
Russia
Russian babies four years ago... :popcorn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJp3QQyQaDg

... and one of the comments then: "As a russian I honestly hope that at least 1 or 2 of them will break through to the top level..." :laugh:;)
Two Olympic champions (one of them Europeen champion, other two-times Euro silver medalist) and first in history two-times JrWorlds champion. All three - GP Finalists.

Ovcharova now is Swiss skater, Shelepen - Israeli.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
My best scenario is that it will be dominating Yulia (I am mad about her). And for the other 2 spots there will be constant competition with the rotation among 5-6 girls based on who is better at the certain time. The question, of course, is who will survive the quad. But in any case for Korea to bet on So-Yun-Pak against the 7 Russian girls is mathematically way too optimistic.

Amei

Record Breaker
The question, of course, is who will survive the quad.

This is the biggest thing, how many skaters will survive to the Nationals/Euros of the Olympic season. I wonder if we'll see some of them switch to another country. I mean all these skaters sacrifice a 'normal' childhood for a dream of OGM and they could skate perfect and still not even get a shot at going because of the competitive level in Russia.

But in any case for Korea to bet on So-Yun-Pak against the 7 Russian girls is mathematically way too optimistic.

Technically they are only betting against at maximum 3 Russians for Olympics/Worlds.