Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

Barb

Record Breaker
Sorry, I don't get how this is connected and I am not sure what you mean :confused: And there's no such thing as America: there's North America, South America and The United States of America.

But I can tell you for sure that being born in the asian part of Russia doesn't make you Asian by default (at least, not in terms of appearance or cultural heritage). Ethnically people in the Asian part of Russia are mostly Caucasian. For more, you can read multiple wikipedia articles.
ok, I am not expert about geography, I understand that exist race, like caucasians, etc. but I understand that for geography when someone is born in Brazil the person is brazilinan, Mexico (mexican, in Africa (continent) is african, Europe is european, America (continent) american, etc. probably I am wrong :scratch:, if you have a bibliographic reference would be great.

And really the American continent doesnt exist???? I am not being sarcastic, I heard one time that had a proposal to divide like north america and the rest but it is official??? the American continent not exist anymore??? I am in another continent now?? :unsure: :confused:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I have never seen Anna P. before this WC 2014, and I have to say I am more impressed with her than the other Russian girls. She really has something "regal" about her, as the BBC commentator pointed out once; she doesn't turn figure skating into gymnastics, like Yulia, but she has a certain class, much like Yuna. If she developed this "it" factor into really feeling the music, her edgework, etc, I think she really could become the best in Russia, as well as the world. Her jump technique and presence on ice alreasy surpasses the rest of the Russian ladies.

minze

Medalist
ok, I am not expert about geography, I understand that exist race, like caucasians, etc. but I understand that for geography when someone is born in Brazil the person is brazilinan, Mexico (mexican, in Africa (continent) is african, Europe is european, America (continent) american, etc. probably I am wrong :scratch:, if you have a bibliographic reference would be great.

And really the American continent doesnt exist???? I am not being sarcastic, I heard one time that had a proposal to divide like north america and the rest but it is official??? the American continent not exist anymore??? I am in another continent now?? :unsure: :confused:

Ok no expert in geography but went to school in south America and was taught five continents, American been one. I moved to the US and in school they kept talking about 7 continets they divided North America (US, Canada) from South America. So hope it helps

Barb

Record Breaker
Ok no expert in geography but went to school in south America and was taught five continents, American been one. I moved to the US and in school they kept talking about 7 continets they divided North America (US, Canada) from South America. So hope it helps

oh, thank you Minze2001, I found this https://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49regin.htm#ftnb so, it is nothing official or clear, each country say and does their own boundries, whatever, who study geography??:p

And come back to topic, I dont like Anna, sorry , not right now :disapp:

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight

I do not mean to sound offensive, but you can't mix continents with countries the way you did in your example. Those are different things, and you can't make comparisons using different systems because it causes confusion. Countries are established units everyone agrees on, and the concept of the continents is cultural. From what I see those things might be taught differently in different countries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent) I was taught 7 continents system. So no American continent for me :rolleye:

And in terms of geography Russia is considered a European country, although half of Russia's territory is in Asia. Someone born in Russia is Russian, and then depending on his ethnicity he can be asian or caucasian, etc. And there's no way you can talk about people being born in the Asian part of Russia as of asians (unless they ethnically belong to this group). By default they are europeans.

Anyway, we are totally off-topic :laugh:

I just see that the next quad in ladies skating is going to be terrific!

Manitou

Medalist
And come back to topic, I dont like Anna, sorry , not right now :disapp:

Me either. She is still developing, but the way she presents herself right now is neither a girl or a woman. By age she is fifteen, but thirty by face and makeup. I believe she will grow into somebody like Butyrskaya: a tall, blond diva with heavy makeup and unproportional body. And her style of skating reminds me of a spider.
Anyway, it's great to see a fierce competition in the Russian camp. Can't wait for three kids on the Russian team next year. And I LOVE when kids beat divas. Of course, it won't be too long before those kids turn into divas themselves, but at least they are still kids now.
So can't wait for Adelina to show what she was really paid for, to see a brand new program from Yulia, because this ice drawings grew a bit too old now, something lively and energetic maybe. No Holocaust any more for a while, please. Something youthful and positive!
And I guess qualifying for the Russian team will be tougher than winning a Worlds medal, which is fun to see too.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Me either. She is still developing, but the way she presents herself right now is neither a girl or a woman. By age she is fifteen, but thirty by face and makeup. I believe she will grow into somebody like Butyrskaya: a tall, blond diva with heavy makeup and unproportional body. And her style of skating reminds me of a spider.
Anyway, it's great to see a fierce competition in the Russian camp. Can't wait for three kids on the Russian team next year. And I LOVE when kids beat divas. Of course, it won't be too long before those kids turn into divas themselves, but at least they are still kids now.
So can't wait for Adelina to show what she was really paid for, to see a brand new program from Yulia, because this ice drawings grew a bit too old now, something lively and energetic maybe. No Holocaust any more for a while, please. Something youthful and positive!
And I guess qualifying for the Russian team will be tougher than winning a Worlds medal, which is fun to see too.

I just think she has more *potential* than the other Russian girls; "spider-looking" or not, her jumps are a level above Yulia and Sotni when clean. I agree the makeup is distracting, but that goes along with the awful choreo/music. :(

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yulia had one helluva season.

2 GP Golds
1 GPF Silver(first appearance)
1 Russian National Silver
1 Euro's Gold (youngest ever and first appearance)
1 Olympic Gold(team event but was a huge presence)
1 Silver medal at her debut WC's

:clap:

And somehow some people think Gracie Gold with 1 GP bronze, a National title and Sochi team bronze makes her the one to watch. :rolleye:

edit: forgot the US Classic where she earned that silver behind Courtney Hicks. :agree: G'job hun.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I just think she has more *potential* than the other Russian girls; "spider-looking" or not, her jumps are a level above Yulia and Sotni when clean. I agree the makeup is distracting, but that goes along with the awful choreo/music. :(

I like Anna, too, she didn't put a foot wrong yesterday. Her jumps look better than that of Adelina and Julia. I hope Russian fec will give her more chance.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch
Yulia had one helluva season.

2 GP Golds
1 GPF Silver(first appearance)
1 Russian National Silver
1 Euro's Gold (youngest ever and first appearance)
1 Olympic Gold(team event but was a huge presence)
1 Silver medal at her debut WC's
:clap:

And somehow some people think Gracie Gold with 1 GP bronze, a National title and Sochi team bronze makes her the one to watch. :rolleye:

edit: forgot the US Classic where she earned that silver behind Courtney Hicks. :agree: G'job hun.

I forget to include Finlandia Cup!!! Another Gold(medal that is)

moviechick

On the Ice
Seriously, Julia just had an amazing senior debut this year. (I know she competed on the GP last year but this is the first year she was age eligible for the big stuff). Medaling at her first worlds at 15 is something not many people can claim.

qwertyskates

Medalist
I still favor Elena but Anna is quite impressive and Adelina is a modern and athletic skater, with a lot of heart. If she didn't beat Yuna, she would be appreciated by a larger audience. I'm fine with the Russians coming!:laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I still favor Elena but Anna is quite impressive and Adelina is a modern and athletic skater, with a lot of heart. If she didn't beat Yuna, she would be appreciated by a larger audience. I'm fine with the Russians coming!:laugh:
Russian girls are more likely to dominate the next quad, even the quad after that.:)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I agree. It is sad that some countries have no one and others have so many that even 3Lz-3T in their SP and 7 triples clean FS will not guarantee them their spot at the Europeans/Worlds. Such a waste of talent. With Jenna McCorkell retiring, GBR doesn't have any lady! Come on, girls, can't you find any connection to Britain? Any great grandmother being British by any chance? Alternatively, I could adopt you...

Great Britain does have Karly Robertson, who actually beat McCorkell in one fall competition this season.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Russian girls are more likely to dominate the next quad, even the quad after that.:)

I do wish we get to know more about their personal stories. I'd admit because I didn't like Adelina's looks and falls, I sort of overlooked her for the GP last year. After knowing she is working hard to pay for her sister's surgeries, I warmed up to her more.

My personal favorite is still the wonderful little Miss Sunshine, I was stunned by her Fifth Element, and charmed by Frida. What a bright little girl, wonder if she has her own story to tell too. And Anna I believe has a lethal rivalry with Adelina! :laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
^She's my favourite as well, if I had one wish for the babies it would be for Elena to make it. I read that she is an only child. She had problems with "weak legs" ? and her parents sent her to skating to help with that! Look where it got her! I love Elena.

qwertyskates

Medalist
^She's my favourite as well, if I had one wish for the babies it would be for Elena to make it. I read that she is an only child. She had problems with "weak legs" ? and her parents sent her to skating to help with that! Look where it got her! I love Elena.

Weak legs, no neck and a big head.:laugh: It doesn't matter, her eyes just light up the rink when she smiles and skates. She makes me happy watching her, such pure joy, elation and enthusiasm to be on the ice, as if it doesn't matter if she wins, she is just loving every moment.

I can't wait for her new season, and what funky new side to her she'll show.

Although the Asian queens and princesses are lovely, there is a certain reserved elegance and classical beauty to their skating, but girls like Anna, Adelina and Elena are open books. It's an interesting change, and I like the bold, modern, experimental aspect to their skating and even their bad taste in costumes and gaudy music!

hanca

Record Breaker
Great Britain does have Karly Robertson, who actually beat McCorkell in one fall competition this season.

The fact that Karly beat Jenna in one autumn competition does not mean that Karly skated that great; it is also possible that Jenna skated so bad!
Karly Robertson is already 24. She may have beaten Jenna in one competition, but she obviously wasn't good enough to be sent to Europeans, Olympic or Worlds. Her personal best score is 104.44 which she achieved in 2009. For comparison, lots of skaters achieve over 100 in their FS (not like Karly combined score SP+FS). for example, Nathalie WEINZIERL who placed at worlds 15th received 106 points just for her FS. I would be surprised if Karly manages to get the qualifying scores for Worlds next year.